• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Surging

S

SBOUCHET

is there a spark plug that really reduces surging for a 2000 r1100rt?? my dealer tried to scare me out of using any thing but bosch oem

Last edited:
re thanks

Thank you guys for letting me know. I have heard so many different stories about all kinds of things. A good throttle hand is also very important..

Stephen

Re: Re: re thanks

flash412 said:
Why people accept such crappy fuel injection systems from BMW on motorcycles is a puzzle to me. If their cars ran as poorly as their motorcycles, people would stop buying them, forcing BMW to FIX the problem. Sheesh.

So because I bought a oilhead and have learned to ride it so surging is not a problem I'm part of the reason that BMW still makes this bike? I'm part of the problem? What was I to do? Not buy the bike I wanted? Take it back to the dealer and complained about a problem I didn't have? Leave it in the garage instead of riding it and enjoying it? I don't think so...!

MarkF

Re: Re: Re: Re: re thanks

flash412 said:
Yes, you are part of the problem and not part of the solution. When that person is killed, you contributed to their death in some tiny measure by accepting a defective product from a negligent manufacturer.

Oh, great! Now I have to live with the guilt of causing another riders death just because I keep my RPM's over 4,000 and am happy with my oilhead. Please don't name me in your lawsuits.

MarkF
:confused:

surging

I agree with flash, sue em. I had a new GM truck that was a pile of junk, dealer coulcn't fix it, other people said they also had problems, they all must be junk. But there still is alot of them on the road maybe there was a different problem. Keep trying on my second oilhead neither one surged both completly stock.

surging

You used the word SOME, now why do SOME surge, SOME surge very little, SOME surge alot, and SOME not surge at all. I beleve BMW dealers must do as BMW tells them so they may be limited to what they can do. Much has been posted on what can be done to purge the surge, talk to other oilhead owners if they have few to no problems find out who is tuning there bikes. But I will agree that BMW has been a real stinker on this issue and the more people they hear from the better.

plugs

My 2 cents.

On my 1997 R1100RT, purchased new, I used Autolite 3923 plugs and a twin max with excellent results for over 40K miles. Those plugs (yeh, they look cheap and cost almost nothing) always came out with a perfect brown color.

I'm doing the same with my 99 R1100GS for the last 9k miles with the same results - surging is non-existent.

As a follow up to my comment above, the Bosch 4418 plugs did not make any real difference by themselves. But, as Bart stated above, a good tuneup including a throttle sync (TwinMax) takes you a step closer to surge free.
The final step that I took was to remove the CCP plug and remap the Motronic. This final step made the biggest difference and my '00 R1100RT now runs better than it ever has!

surging

Twin Max is an electronic device for synchronizing your throttle bodies. It is simple to use and very accurate. No real mechanical abilities necessary.

A friend of mine used his on his R1150 GS, then had it in for some tires. He had the BMW tech check the synch and the tech said
it was spot on.

They are only about $80 and pay for themselves after a couple uses.

Bosch plugs

MCRider3 said:
I agree with MarkF. Tried the Bosch 4418, but no real improvement.

My 2002 gs developed a mild surge after it's 12,000 mile service.

I'm 100 miles from the dealer so I bought a set of these bosch plugs and thought I'd give them a try.

Fixed! No more surging!

Maybe I'm lucky but I'd reccommend trying these plugs if you're having a problem. Can't hurt.

gsjay

Twin Max

I bought my through Aerostich.. One of the best purchases I have ever made..$77 or so..

I run my Twin Max everytime I change oil.. Only takes a couple minutes and it makes a huge difference on surge, vibration, and smoothes out shifting due to the engine running smoother..

Surging, surging, surging

My R850 didn't surge one tiny little bit. Always well-mannered, he ran as smooth as glass and steady as a rock. I miss him.

My R1100RT has a big attitude and surges like a maniac about 100 miles after a tune-up.

So here's my question(s). Does anyone know if the Techlusion folks will be at the MOA rally selling their R259 power boxes? If yes, does anyone know if they will do installations? And finally, does anyone have one installed who would like to share his experience with us?

Thanks
Terry B.
Pittsburgh

p.s. I walked past the Techlusion folks in Redmond and sniffed, "Hah! MY bike doesn't surge at all!!! Bad karma results from bad attitude.

Back