Thread: 91 K75 Odometer just Quit Where do I start?

Rally Rat

91 K75 Odometer just Quit Where do I start?

Hello everyone,

I am hoping for some advise on how to start troubleshooting my non-functioning odometer and trip meter. It was working fine one minute and then just quit cold turkey at 10,506 miles. Resetting the trip meter didn't help.

I read the threads on how to calibrate for speed and twist the contact pins.

I was hoping there is a common cause and I just missed the thread on it.

Appreciate all the advise I can get. Thanks.

They use little plastic reduction gears, and they wear out. Here's a thread I dug up....http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=5036
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Quote Originally Posted by MindTrainer View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am hoping for some advise on how to start troubleshooting my non-functioning odometer and trip meter. It was working fine one minute and then just quit cold turkey at 10,506 miles. Resetting the trip meter didn't help.

I read the threads on how to calibrate for speed and twist the contact pins.

I was hoping there is a common cause and I just missed the thread on it.

Appreciate all the advise I can get. Thanks.

You are averaging 550 miles per year on that K75. Better pick up the pace a little bit!
    2014 R1200 GSA, 2015 KTM 690 Enduro (Sold: 1992 K75S, and miss my 2004 R1100S)

Rally Rat

Unhappy Biodegradable Gears

I took apart a 1995 K75 instrument cluster today hoping to find some gears to fix mine. What I found really surprised me. Two of the gears (red and blue compound) literally fell apart when I touched them. They had the consistency of one day old oatmeal. I mean, they weren't brittle but mushy. The rest of the gears looked OK.

Did BMW invent the Bio-degradable plastic here?

So I heard they sell some gears in TX for about $75. Does anyone have a cheaper/better solution?

I got replacement gears from a pod that had been replaced for other problems. A dealer or repair shop could have some broken units lying around with good gears. Beemerboneyard and Palo Alto Speedo (http://www.paspeedo.com/) might be good places to start. you might even luck out with a want ad here or at IBMWR .
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Do your turn signals cancel automatically? If not, the first thing to check is the connection near the rear master cylinder. The two times my speedo quit, there was corrosion in the connector.

If the connector is good, next go to the tech section of IBMWR. They tell how to check the signal generator on the final drive.
    Ron

91 K75RT ABS

For the gears - there is either a sticky, or a DIY on where to order them. Common point of failure. If nothing speedo related works - check the connector on the right side of the frame. Clean it very carefully and put it back together WITHOUT any dielectric grease.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

3 Red Bricks
    Here is the guy that makes better than original gears:

http://www.odometergears.com/bmw.html

About half way down the page, you want the set for the US E30. Buy the whole set of five gears only $85. DON'T replace only a couple of them unless you want to have it fail again within the year.

READ the tutorial on his website on how to replace the gears:
    http://www.odometergears.com/VDO_Mot...placement.html

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

I think I'm gonna try this guy.

http://www.speedometer.com/bmw_cycles.html

A little more expensive than DIY but not much more.
    Can I do it myself? Maybe, but there is something to be said for having a professional/craftsman do his thing. There are plenty of other things on it to work on.
    I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
    And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,

James and his 1988 K100LT

Thumbs up

You are making a wise choice. Overseas Speedo (Rick Borth) is your best bet for repair of your unit. I sent my /7 unit to him for odometer repair and he sent it back very clean and the speedometer and tach calibrated that I did not ask for and for no extra charge. I relayed this to Rick Jones (Motorad Electric) and he said Rick Borth is the best source for Speedo repair that he knows of. That is high praise from someone who has a long history of BMW services. And the repair was very reasonable to boot.
    Jim Dubick
    Boaz, Alabama
    R1200RT
    BMW MOA, BMW MOALABAMA

I had this problem. My speedo would be on and then off. I traced the speedo line from the back to a plug under the battery cover on right side. I pulled the plug and reconnected it. Speedo worked after that. Possible corrosion that I removed by doing this. Worth a try and I hope it works.