• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My small rant

tmoyer

Intermediate Adventurer
I didn't want to hijack the Sturgis thread so I'll post a new one.

Speaking about the issue of drinking and riding, I think there are way too many people who want to SAY the right thing but their actions are completely opposite. For example, I recently rode by a local "destination" HD dealer. They were having some huge event and there were hundreds of bikes jammed in the parking areas. What dominated the event were the 20 foot tall Captain Morgan, an equally tall blow up Coors bottle, and a dozen banners advertising alcohol.

I like my adult beverages as much as the next person but I don't feel that was the place for it. Personally, I don't believe the brand or the dealers do enough to discourage drinking and riding. This type of event proves my point. I had to cringe at the line of bikes waiting at the light to leave. I couldn't help wonder how many of them should not have been on the road.

For the record, I am not trying to single out HD riders or dealerships but they seem to be big offenders. Bike Nite at Hooters also comes to mind.

Clearing off the soap box....

:hide

Some behaviors constitute their own punishment. Among those behaviors are celibacy, taunting grizzly bears and drinking while operating any motor vehicle. :)

Poker Runs, at least as they are held in rural Southern Illinois, involve riding from tavern to tavern with stops at each one to have a drink (or two).

Always a good charity that is getting some money from the deal. You know, Help the Kids kind of deal.

Never see many BMW's in the crowd. Why??????????

i know of a bike night in NYC with lots of GSes and KTMs and plenty of drinking. it's the person, not the bike, although i'll admit, certain bikes probably do attract certain drinkers more. i'm not an outright teetotaler with regards to riding, but it's very rare that i'll have more than "a" beer and ride. maybe two if i'm somewhere for like 4 hours.

I usually have a beer if it's around where I'm stopped for a moment, may have 2.

I consider drinking and riding a conflict of interest. Although I love to ride and like to imbibe I cannot and will not drink before I ride but have no issues to drink after I'm done riding.

To some I have a warped sense of values. And if that means drinking pop instead of beer at a rally so be it.

Have fun!

PS: Another thing to consider is riding the morning after. Although not "drunk" your motor skills may not be up to the task of riding first thing in the morning. Not that I'm speaking from experience but my R80 might beg to differ.

Poker Runs, at least as they are held in rural Southern Illinois, involve riding from tavern to tavern with stops at each one to have a drink (or two).

Always a good charity that is getting some money from the deal. You know, Help the Kids kind of deal.

Never see many BMW's in the crowd. Why??????????

Cause most BMW riders are too stuffy? :scratch

I have been riding for 40 years and tho I really like beer, my motto has been "Alcohol and motorcycles don't mix".
A group of guys I know who ride that famous American brand say they limit each other to "only 5 beers per ride" , seems like way too much if you ask me.
I think its just too dangerous to drink and ride/drive etc.

Sign me up for the dont drink when I ride.

Also my wife and I take turns when we go out (with the car) as to who is the DD.

Like it was stated early - it is a personal choice

I have been riding for 40 years and tho I really like beer, my motto has been "Alcohol and motorcycles don't mix".
A group of guys I know who ride that famous American brand say they limit each other to "only 5 beers per ride" , seems like way too much if you ask me.
I think its just too dangerous to drink and ride/drive etc.

5?! :scratch

They shouldn't be riding after 5, let alone driving.

:banghead

I know I am in the minority, but I don't like beer. I know, I have been in Germany, The Netherlands, Mexico and many BMW rallies, but What can I say??? It is an acquired taste.. Now good tequilla is a different story!
Still, I won't drink and drive any motor vehicle!:thumb

Makes me shake my head every time I state these statistics in our Thursday night classes.

Percentage of intoxicated vehicle operators involved in crashes;

Motorcyclists.......... 29 percent
Light trucks.............22 percent
Passenger cars....... 19 percent

Percentage of intoxicated motorcycle operators killed in crashes...50 percent

There are many things in life I don't do, but I understand why some people do. Drinking and driving is one I can't understand at all.

You have a right (in the US) to drink. You do not have a right to drive. You especially do not have the right to drive after or during drinking.

It is not an individual choice once you start to drive. You have just involved everyone else on the road near you once you start to drink and drive. It's not just the drinking driver at risk in that situation. If it were I would not care as everyone has the option to be a Darwin award applicant. You do not, however, have the privilege to spread the application around to others.

Having been the victim of a drunk who was driving as well as having to respond to the results of that same kind of situation, I have no tolerance for those who think it's OK to risk others lives because they want to drink then drive.

It's just fine to drink and it's just fine to drive. It is not fine to combine the two activities.

No difference between the various descriptions of drinking above and driving a car or truck versus driving a motorcycle.

No difference?

I don't need to put my feet down when I'm at a stop in my truck!:thumb

And there are more cup holders freeing my right hand for shifting the manual transmission...:whistle

BTW - I don't drink and drive, anything: car, boat, jetski, motorcycle, truck, bicycle, etc. when I've been or too soon after drinking alcohol. My personal choice.

Len

Wow what a tough crowd it makes me wonder if I should take my bike or car to the Yuengling Brewery tour. :scratch Or if I should travel alone or take my KLR. :ha

I'd better scratch that off the 2011 Rally Attraction to do list and spend a day watching my fellow motorcyclist fill the rally waste with cheap beer cans that maintain their Aerodynamic riding profile. :bow

So what is the difference where you drink is again ? IMO its still putting a controlled substance in your body regardless how far you climb the moral ladder. Just don't do it for the children sake. :gerg

Wow what a tough crowd it makes me wonder if I should take my bike or car to the Yuengling Brewery tour. :scratch Or if I should travel alone or take my KLR. :ha

I'd better scratch that off the 2011 Rally Attraction to do list and spend a day watching my fellow motorcyclist fill the rally waste with cheap beer cans that maintain their Aerodynamic riding profile. :bow

So what is the difference where you drink is again ? IMO its still putting a controlled substance in your body regardless how far you climb the moral ladder. Just don't do it for the children sake. :gerg
I'll go witcha, I hate beer.
I may have a shot of Tequila though.

So what is the difference where you drink is again ?
IMO its still putting a controlled substance in your body regardless how far you climb the moral ladder. Just don't do it for the children sake. :gerg

He asks rhetorically.

Back