• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Burned out exhaust valves

and a third. Sorry, I can't figure out how to put them in one response!

Attachments

• more valves 002.jpg
    more valves 002.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 132
Burned exhaust valve

Looks like the "blow torch" effect. A piece of carbon dislodged from somewhere in the combustion chamber and lodged between the valve and seat. This prevented closure of the valve and the superhot exhaust gases simply cut a hole in it. Or, the valve stem seized in it's guide resulting in the same outcome.

I was kind of hoping for a shot like the original one, but I think you can still see that the valve contact is running off the inside of the valve face. It should be more centered and probably wider (should be 1.4mm minimum).

I was kind of hoping for a shot like the original one, but I think you can still see that the valve contact is running off the inside of the valve face. It should be more centered and probably wider (should be 1.4mm minimum).

What determines the width of the valve contact area?

Wear?
Original Valve Angle?
Valve Lash?

Thanks for your input Anton. I will get another shot from the angle you want. It will be a day or so as I am on the road working.

I'm not an expert, but it looks to me that there is a lot of carbon build up on the part of the valve that was not burnt. When I had my heads off, I did not have that much build up on the valves. I removed the heads to replace the head gaskets.

Anyone else think that this is a lot of build up?

Hi, here are a few more close-ups as Anton requested. Sorry for the multiple messages to do this!

John

Attachments

• valves 003.jpg
    valves 003.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 57
Looking at the pictures of the ÔÇÿburntÔÇÖ valve, I would say that if burnt means melted then that is not what has happened. The sharp edges and crystalline appearance (see photo #21)
indicates a piece of the valve head broke out. The rest of the seat looks good which adds weight to my theory because excess carbon build up and or tight tappets would cause the rim of the valve head to overheat all around itÔÇÖs circumference and there would be a ragged appearance to all of the valve head.

Looking at the pictures of the ÔÇÿburntÔÇÖ valve, I would say that if burnt means melted then that is not what has happened. The sharp edges and crystalline appearance (see photo #21)
indicates a piece of the valve head broke out. The rest of the seat looks good which adds weight to my theory because excess carbon build up and or tight tappets would cause the rim of the valve head to overheat all around itÔÇÖs circumference and there would be a ragged appearance to all of the valve head.

I agree.

Does BMW use filled valves?

Back