• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cedar city rally

Anyone been to one of these BMW events. I'm thinking about going to Cedar City Utah in Sept. What should expect. Is there camping or only hotel/motel?

Anyone been to one of these BMW events. I'm thinking about going to Cedar City Utah in Sept. What should expect. Is there camping or only hotel/motel?

I just stumbled across this event on the web site last night. I registered immediately and snagged a hotel room. I've never been to an MOA sponsored "weekend getaway," but I've been to similar weekends in Death Valley sponsored by Edelweiss. From the description, it doesn't sound like a full-on rally with camping. It sounds like a group of riders gathering at the Crystal Inn.

The Cedar City event last year was my first BMWMOA event ever and it was a blast. So much so that I'm going back again this year. The host hotel is a small Utah based chain of a few properties and the rooms are very clean with fridge, microwave, DVD player and wireless Internet.

Since I live just down the road 175 miles or so in Las Vegas I went back up last weekend to scout more GS type routes and beat the heat here in Vegas. On or off road the scenery is gorgeous.

Two weekends from now I'm going back up to spend four days in and around the Bryce / Escalante / Hwy 12 area looking for more GS routes.

RobStar

Here's a few shots from last year:

goldtreesvert.jpg
fourbikes.jpg

layerhillside.jpg

I'll be back again this year as well. I was kinda sad that the Napa ride earlier this year was cancelled due to inadequate sign-ups, but I'm looking forward to having a second chance to see a little more of Zion NP this time.

thinking of coming from Michigan. wasnt able to make the national this year but wanted to make a trip out west. how is the weather out there this time of year. is it worth the trip?
mark

Last year it was an absolutely sparkling weekend and warm but not uncomfortably so. Hoping for the same this year. It's close to the Arizona border anyway, so this is a pretty dry part of the country.

thinking of coming from Michigan. wasnt able to make the national this year but wanted to make a trip out west. how is the weather out there this time of year. is it worth the trip?
mark
Well, it'll be fall in Utah, and I remember Septembers where it didn't rain at all, and others where it rained all month long. The chances are that it will be nice, though — September is usually predictably pleasant. The elevation changes in the area are considerable also. Within 50 miles of Cedar City you'll find highways below 3,000 feet and those above 10,000 feet. In one day, you could have temperatures in the low 90s F near St. George, and that dip to near freezing at Bryce Canyon. The same day could see warm sunshine in the desert areas, and rain over the mountain passes.

In other words, no guarantees, but I'd be willing to bet on it being fantastic.

We just joined and live in Utah, so we were really excited to see this rally - until we went to register and found out is is sold out! Is there a waiting list? Is the event limited by the number of hotel rooms? We really want to be there to meet lots of other folks!

I know a few people who are going to Cedar City, UT that weekend and I heard that they are staying at the same motel and going on rides in the same area.

They did that last year also but they did not pay the $79.00 fee or get the dinner.

You should check with MOA. there were last minute cancellations last year so maybe there will be again. I know they don't really want to turn people away.

Great time

Four of us were returning through Cedar City as part of our 10 day National Park tour last year and adjusted our schedule so we would be there Friday Night for at least the meet and greet.

It was a great time and although we had to leave Saturday morning, we met some great folks and had a few adult beverages and snacks. We met Jackie Hughes and Ted Moyer who convinced us to put on our own Rally, which we did the "Treasures of Yosemite" Rally.

As timing and luck would have it, the MOA has scheduled another Rally during the same time we will be in the area, but our timing will be off this year.

If you can swing it, make the ride.

Steve Lionbarger
Expresso Riders
Charter Club Liason

Less than three weeks to go until the Cedar City rally! I'm really looking forward to hopping on my GT and getting out of the LA area. I look forward to meeting some of my fellow MOA members.

Yup, BMW MOA says that it's officially sold out. That's too bad. Well, I guess it's better than nobody showing up, but still a bit disappointing. I was holding out on registering until I could get a long-range weather forecast for the dates and a better handle on some work situations (that, coincidentally, will require that I actually be in Cedar City), but it looks like waiting was a bad plan on my part. Maybe next year they'll plan for a larger crowd.

I begged my way in on a cancellation last year... it never hurts to try.

There's still no reason not to come; you might not be able to attend the banquet or go on the organized rides but there will be plenty-o-splinter groups I'm guessing.

The weather for this weekend in Cedar City and Bryce calls for a low of 38-43 degs and a high in the 60's. Clear and sunny....

Sounds perfect to me!

See you all there on Friday!

RobStar

Back