• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Yellow Book

pmdave

From time to time I hear grumblings about the book Driving A Sidecar Outfit, aka "The Yellow Book", or to be specific--that it costs too much, and someone must be making a huge profit.

So, let me clear the air. The book was written by David L Hough, the same author who wrote the best-selling two-wheeled book Proficient Motorcycling. Dave spent many hours on the original sidecar book, and many additional hours updating it to the second edition. He donated all his work to the Sidecar Safety Program, who publish the book in the interests of providing helpful information to sidecarists. The second edition also contains a chapter by "Coach" Ramey Stroud, who donated his work.

The Sidecar Safety Program pays a printing house to publish, take orders, and ship the book, primarily to sidecar companies and booksellers such as Whitehorse press. Yes, the SSP makes a small "profit" on the books to pay expenses, but the emphasis is on "small." And none of the contributing authors, or any of the SSP staff receives any payment for their efforts. It really is a voluntary effort.

Retail price is $34.95 plus S&H. The reason for the current price is that the book is published in small quantities, in the USA. Printing books a few hundred at a time is the most expensive way to publish, but the total volume of books on sidecars is extremely limited. Fancier books are generally published in Hong Kong in minimum quantities of 10,000, which would require more money up front than the SSP could dream about. Our USA printer gets the job done with very little up-front investment.

For sidecar sellers and installers, the SSP highly recommends including a copy of the "Yellow Book" with each combination, to ensure that the buyer has the necessary information available to manage the risks. The SSP sells the book at a substantial discount for quantity orders--one reason the SSP receives so little money from book sales.

There are other sidecar-oriented books available in the world, but Driving A Sidecar Outfit is the only sidecar book that includes lessons suitable for a complete sidecar novice, and also includes chapters on advanced driving techniques as well as mounting and alignment. It's a complete book for the sidecarist, whether novice or veteran. Most importantly, it's been vetted by sidecar instructors nationwide, so it really is the standard sidecar driving textbook.

Individual copies are available from Whitehorse Press 800 531-1133, or directly from the printer at 800 736-1117.

pmdave

Attachments

• Driving Sidecar 2E cover sm.jpg
    Driving Sidecar 2E cover sm.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 222
From time to time I hear grumblings about the book Driving A Sidecar Outfit, aka "The Yellow Book", or to be specific--that it costs too much, and someone must be making a huge profit.

Sir...
Those same people complain a movie theater is too dark... :brow
There is too much wind on a motorcycle...
Salt is too salty... Etc.

Face it... ...Some folks just ain't happy. :fight

How much?

$34.95+s&h too much? I am more of the impression that the "Yellow Book" is priceless!!

Just like the rest of Sir Hough's books.

...and don't forget the photo of that good looking guy on the cover, even though the helmet blocks his face. :nyah

The Yellow book, IMHO, is essential reading material for anyone even thinking of getting a hack. I read it three times before setting my butt on the seat. I speak of it to anyone interrested in sidecars.

Thanks Dave for bringing this up...and thanks for the book!

Then again, while in college what did you pay for that Psych book? :brow
Where is it now?
AND what did it do for you!? :brad

--

AND what did it do for you!?

For my part, it gave me a less than favorable, much less, opinion of psychologists in general, and their ilk ... marriage counselors, in particular.

But I digress....

Perhaps a "Print On Demand" publisher could reduce the costs? :dunno

But I do know both of the gentlemen who contributed to the book and you won't find two greater supporters of motorcycling. :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

For my part, it gave me a less than favorable, much less, opinion of psychologists in general, and their ilk ... marriage counselors, in particular.

But I digress....

You got that from a college Psych book?
Wow. That is digression.

"...but tell us how you really feel..." :laugh

Explode-02-june.gif
I'm really surprised Homeland Security hasn't been to the house yet...
09.gif

Hijack sort of...

Must be good, none found on Amazon.
Considering a hack now that my dog goes to work with me daily.
Talked briefly to the sidecar people at the rally but the idea was just forming and now I need to give it some serious thought. I have no one to watch a dog that gets depressed without human interaction (forget about doggie daycare). Any good dog psych books out there?
Who were the vendors at the rally with the sidecars?

There is also Hal Kendall's books on the USCA site. There is a German sidecar manual also (It's in English but some of the translation is a bit funky) Also has Victor Page's book from 1920. Not as good as the Yellow book but can be viewed for free with PDF.

http://www.sidecar.com/links3.asp

Perhaps a "Print On Demand" publisher could reduce the costs? :dunno QUOTE]

The current process with Printwerk is basically print on demand. It's the low volume that necessitates a higher price. Note that the price includes the ssp cost for "fulfillment." (taking orders, printing, binding, packaging, shipping, etc.)

pmdave

Back