• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

alternative around Chicago

F

fhauler

I am going to the MotoGP at Indianapolis next month and want to continue on to the
Milwaukee area after the race. Have driven around and through Chicago before in both car and RV and would rather avoid the traffic and frequent toll stops. On my last trip to Milwaukee via Indianapolis, I went west to Normal then up the interstate to Rockford (long and somewhat boring). Would anyone care to suggest a blue highway alternative for a one day drive from Indianapolis to Milwaukee (Pewaukee, WI actually)?

Thanks,
Doug
VA
K75

I-355 - much closer in than going all the way to Normal and back in. On the south end connects directly from I-80, lightly traveled, connects on the North to I-290 Rockford - take I-290 up to Beloit and cut back over to Milwuakee via I-15.
That is if you insist on Interstates.

You could go to Ludington,Mi and take the car ferry across the lake. It's about a 3hour boat ride. Take US 31 north all the way from Indy. The ferry goes to Manitowoc,Wi which is north of Millwakee. There are alot of neat little towns all the way up the Mi coast. In Ludington we like to eat at Jamesport Brewing Co. It's just down the street from the Ferry.

Lake Express

You can also check out the Lake Express hi speed ferry from Muskegon Michigan directly to Milwaukee. I took it back from the Vermont rally several years ago and it beats all the Chicago traffic. The lake was a little choppy and the boat earned the nickname "Vomit Comet", but, after landing everyone felt better and I saved several horrible hours fighting traffic. Another consideration is the expressways around Chicago are under construction again causing even more delays.
Have fun which ever way you go.:wave

Thanks for the ideas! Lake Express from Muskegon sounds interesting.

I crossed the Big Mac after circumnavigating Lake Superior in my RV last Summer. Nice trip but maybe not enough time on this journey.

If you really want to avoid, depending on where you live in the MIL area, head out towards Beloit, down to rockford, IL. There is a US highway I've used to avoid the toll just south of the IL/WI. I tried to avoid it last year and ended up in downtown CHI town b/c I had a repair that was needed. Have a great trip

Back