Thread: Is this common?

tourist

Is this common?

I found this on the oil plug magnet.
    Within the first five hundred miles of my trip I heard an extra ticking noise coming from the engine.. What to do? I mean the noise is so subtle that I'm afraid that it can't be distinguished from the rest of the noise but I can hear the difference. After the 8500+ miles the ticking is extremely faint now but it's still there.
    Is this something that the dealer should look at? Its a 2010 gt with 23350 miles on it. Should the engine be disassembled and checked or as long as its running nothing can be done. Is this a common thing?

chip.jpg

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Not common. How about some diagnostic details? Engine idling? Engine at any rpm? Engine in gear and running but not just idling or running and not in gear. Clutch in or out?
    Might localize the tick source.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

tourist
    Engine at idle and in neutral. Ticking increases with throttle but doesn't get louder. It would be difficult to hear while in gear and moving.

It does seem to be running slightly different since my trip but I don't think it has to do with the ticking. However, I am idling slightly lower, before the needle would settle at 1100 now its just above 1000. On part of my trip I had a spell of rough idle in traffic and then die. It seems to be running better since I replaced the air filter. (It was clogged with bugs....I mean alot of bugs.) And I am using the cleaner additive for the gas that BMW says to use.

Also, during my trip I noticed that there was more engine breaking?? When you let off the throttle completely you seem to lunge forward a bit harder.

Even with all the bugs in the air filter I was still getting the best mpg. For the first 12000 mile I was getting 39.8mpg. I have been getting 43.5mpg.
    Last edited by tourist; 07-28-2010 at 03:25 AM.

Anything that large (about half a centimeter) is cause for immediate concern. Yes save it for the dealer.

It's definitely a broken-off piece of something. That it is ferrous (magnetic) is a major clue as to where it came from.

I'm not familiar with the "wedge" oiling system or routing, but it may be a secondary clue that it was stopped by the magnet before it was stopped by the oil filter. It would be interesting to dissect the oil filter and see what's inside.

As for running different - there have been recalls to download new programming into the computer; apparently a lot of people have been having idling, running, and stalling issues.

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Doesn't look like a tooth, etc. It kind of looks like a tab from the clutch pack disks. They have about 12 or so arranged around each disk. But that would not make a tick if one were missing unless it went thru the oil pump sprocket, say, and knockered a tooth there. I haven't seen inside the oil pump but if it went thru the pump, maybe that would tick if slightly damaged.
    Probably depend on the dealer if they will agree to dissasemble it that far. It's not too difficult to expose the clutch basket, and as well the oil pump chain and sprockets and timing chain. There have been early reports or wire tabs coming off the clutch pack and in that case, the pack and oil pump was to be replaced. But this part does not look like that wire I have seen.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

tourist
    What to do?

The engine sounds even better. The ticking seems to have faded and the usual engine noise sounds smoother and quieter than it did when it was new. The clutch seems easier for me to shift smoothly.

BUT, that piece?

I haven't figured out if it is covered under warranty.