• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1985 BMW K100 RT (whats it worth)

D

dennisoates

HI Guys,

Am new to BMW,s what should i look for on this bike,Found this online with only 20,000 miles, in very good shape, 2 owners, lots of extra parts, they want 2500.Am new to BMW,s what should i look for on this bike for problems

thanks for the tips,

3k73p23o55V25P55X1a7mf36e6e6fd40e12c8.jpg

Generally the low fuel indicator lights don't work correctly on these early K bikes. Check for spline lube, when was it last done. From the pic you posted looks like clean bike. Aftermarket rear bag and passenger back rest. Is the seller an MOA member ?

You don't say what extra parts are included. $2500 is a starting point. Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com) does have a used motorcycle section to their site.

Fill out your profile- what part of the country are you and the bike in -maybe someone here with knowledge could look it over with you.

$2500 is on the upper end of the price spectrum. Fair enough but a 25 year old bike has a lot of rubber and plastic parts that need replacement. If those things had already been taken care of I would buy it.

Don Eilenberger has forgotten more than I've ever learned on K bikes so read his posts.

As an owner of the same bike these are my impressions after 3 years:
1. It is a great bike to ride in the Fall, Winter and Spring. Once the temperature hits about 85, it is too hot to ride.
2. Once it is tuned up and sorted out, it will be reliable and easy maintain. Expect to log a few hundred thousand miles unless a minivan runs it over.
3. You will never find a bike with a better power band. I have taken turns in (too) high gear and passed tractor trailers in (too) low gear and the bike handled it with great forgiveness.
4. I test rode a $20,000 R1200RT last year and it was only marginally better than my K100RT. Don't get me wrong, I would accept an even trade but it was not worth a new bike payment in my estimation.
5. If you do not work on your own bike, these are still being serviced by BMW dealers.
6. Take care not to damage the fairing. It is getting difficult to find replacement parts.

PS: Not a summer bike. I bought mine for under $2000 on a hot summer day.

Last edited:
If you like to tour, you will need a better saddle so plan on spending $$ for a touring saddle. You may also want a taller windscreen for touring.

Heat can be an issue, since early on I added K-guards ( no longer made, but may find a used set) and one of the vented LT fairing uppers to mine it is tolerable.

If the bike is as clean as it looks, $2500 seems fine. Don't worry about it being 25yrs old. I have an 85 K100 and I would ride it anywhere. I also have a 77 GL1000that runs great.
Check out what else you can get for that money, and I think this one will win out.
I have always ridden unfaired bikes as I like wind and I do not like the heat or plastic. To each his own.
The early Ks had lots of speedo problems. It may have been replaced (common) so do not take milage at face value. Someone else mentionned slines.
Bullet proof engines.
If you like it, buy it!

K100 RT Evaluation

PROS:
Rock solid dependability. Inspired engineering - my 25 year old RS still amazes me with it's quality. Carves like a knife. Goes like a bat. Good aftermarket support. With decent maintainence it will out live you. Unlike later versions, early bricks had bomb-proof final drives. IMO, one of the 5 best motorcycles ever built...

CONS:
K100's are top-heavy parking lot pigs. In summer traffic you can roast behind the fairing. They can be expensive if you are not inclined to do your own maintainence.

$2500 for a Kbike with this mileage sounds good to me, buy it!

jb

I had this exact dolomite gray bike 13 years ago as my first BMW. It was very fast and dependable once I addressed a few issues.

The speedometers give a lot of trouble on the early K bikes. Mine quit working on and off. I took it apart and got lucky when I cleaned the connections and corrected the problem.

The differential seal started leaking (I think from sitting a lot). I replaced it myself with no problem and found the rear splines needed grease badly.

I put synthetic oil in it and it seeped from the rear seal. I went back to conventional oil and the seepage stopped.

Hottest bike I have ever had (both performance and especially temperature). It will burn you up in hot weather.

It was buzzy in both the bars and pegs at around 60 MPH. The buzz went away at about 80. The buzz drove me nuts and that is the reason I sold it and replaced it with a K75RT. At the time, the top speed limit within 40 miles of my house was 60.

A lot of the available parts and accessories (seats, etc) would not fit the 85 models but would fit all of the newer models.

It was a great bike with more power than the newer versions but the heat and buzz caused me to sell it.

Great vintage bike that can be ridden everyday.

DSC_0402.jpg

I have this exact bike. I got mine (non-running) from a garage port find. 4 months of refurbish and I'd take it anywhere. $2500 for 20k (if you can trust it - the speedo's on the early K's usually break and are about 10% off slow or fast) is a good price.

The picture is small, but the front forks may be aftermarket - they are gold(?). The stock is brushed aluminum.

Get a good torque wrench and do your own maintenance and it'll last forever.

Peter, the original poster was listed as a 'guest' way back in 2010. All replies are from the same time period, no indication if he picked up the bike or not. As I understand, guests may view postings now, but not contribute.....Glad you have happy with your find. Great bikes.

Back