• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New member Ft. Lauderdale Florida

mindtrainer

I bought my badly neglected, stagnated 1991 K75RT about a month ago. She had been sitting in a metal working shop uncovered and ignored for at least a year until her owner passed away and his daughter sold her to me for $1,000.

She had 9,600 mile on the working odometer. The tires had marginal tread (no sign of tire-rot), the gas tank had a crack in the left front corner and was fortunately empty. The seat was torn in several places and the windshield and paint job are in terrible condition.

After trucking her home I replaced the oil, air and fuel filters. Gave her an oil change, transmission fluid was changed as well as the final drive fluid. I fitted new plugs (original plugs looked fine, tan and dry). I had to replaced both brake master cylinders, seat, rear shock, rear tire, fan and starter relay and tank. I disassembled all the calipers and cleaned them. The bike rolls free and easy.

She is starting nicely now and idles smoothly at around 1000rpm. The engine sounds and feels fine until I hit 5K then I hear what sounds like considerable valve train noise (maybe normal?). I have put about 3 tanks through her and IÔÇÖm pretty sure that IÔÇÖm ONLY GETTING ABOUT 34MPG. My tire pressure is correct and checked while cold and IÔÇÖm not leaking anything. My brakes also squeal a bit once she warms up, mostly the front but intermittently also from the rear.

After riding Honda's most of my life I find the BMW strange and a bit hard to get used to. Shifting is a bit more awkward. I find that I am in between gears a lot. I am hoping that soon I will adjust and shift better. My arms and hands are getting stiff too. That being said she is the most solid feeling bike I have ever ridden. The difference between going 60 mph and 100 mph (only for a few minutes so far) is almost none.

I am a conservative rider and donÔÇÖt mind the lack of power this bike has but I choose this model bike in part due to the good mileage itÔÇÖs supposed to get.

I have already spent a lot more on materials and parts then I did for the bike and donÔÇÖt relish experimenting with replacing expensive electronic parts. I have read many of the forums here and appreciate the wealth of knowledge that is so obviously present. Please give me some advice on how to proceed. Thank you.:brow

Back