• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Valuation question

MOTOR31

Hi there,

I have a line in a nice airhead but have a couple of questions about it.

It's a 95 R100RT in a grey color with matching saddle bags. The mileage is 28k all original. It has had a 25k service done over a year ago with no glitches noted. Condition looks good, no obvious leaks, damage or issues with the bike other than a non stock seat cover and non OEM rear shock.

The sellers agent (consignment) is stating this was the final year of manufacture for the bike and less than 900 were imported. He also claims this was the year a clip was placed on the drive shaft to prevent damage from disengagement.

Asking price is $6500

Given the info, is that fair price and are there things I should be looking for?

Things to consider

I think a bike that has been ridden on a regular basis is a better bet than one has been sitting for 10 years. Sounds like from your post if 25k service was done about 1 year ago and bike has 28k on it now then someone was using it on a regular basis which is good.

BUT - please look at the papaer work and confirm 25k service was done recently
Salesman could be giving a line of BS and 25k service could have been done 7 or 8 years ago, you need to do your own research.

Just a note. The other brand dealer does have the receipt for the service done by a BMW dealer in state.

The bike has a couple other minor items such as bag liners, a second windshield and tank bag. To me those are nice to have things but not a real big item.

The owner has already reduced the price at least once. I was looking at it as a replacement for my oil head RT but since it's consignment it may not happen. I don't want to and can't keep both bikes anyhow. Since I rode airheads before and loved this particular iteration of the RT I was thinking of "going back in time" to a earlier model that is easier to wrench on. Either that or get a goldwing that costs far less to maintain than the 04 RT I have now.

If I do pass on it I'll be happy to pass on the location of this really nice looking airhead to anyone looking for one.

I'm thinking the exact same thing. I have a deposit on my 99 RT and would like to buy a good used airhead RT. If you decide not to buy it, please send me the info. I think the price is too high, but I'm a very good wheeler-Dealer...:deal

My opinion is that the price is waaaaay too high. If the service records and everything else checks out and the bike is in VGC, (doesn't need tires, etc) I think it's worth a maximum of $4500 in today's market. If someone buys it for more than that and decides to sell it within a couple of years, it's highly likely that they'll take a pretty big $$$$ hit. Just my opinion after owning over 25 Beemers since 1976 (and 19 of them were airheads). Good luck with your decision.

I purchased a 95 R100RT last fall and paid $4300 with 47k on the clock. Since then I have put about $350 in parts, wish I had paid less. There are alot of cool airheads out there for sale ya just gotta sniff em out. Thinkin I might sell for vested value, would really like a 70's 90s!

Last edited:
RT's

I bought my RT100 1994 55.000 miles from Max BMW for $3900 with many issues I think if this bike is as clean as you describe $6500 is a fair price.
RT's with low mileage and in good condition are hard to find.

Make them an offer of what you think it is worth. He might take it. I bought both of my bikes with an offer I didn't dream they would take. You never know the financial situation or motivation of the owner.

Hi there,

The sellers agent (consignment) is stating this was the final year of manufacture for the bike and less than 900 were imported. He also claims this was the year a clip was placed on the drive shaft to prevent damage from disengagement.

Asking price is $6500

Given the info, is that fair price and are there things I should be looking for?

I think they're talking about the circlip on the gearbox output shaft.

Sounds quite high for me, even if it is good condition. There are lots of airheads out there, especially R100 and R80RTs.

Only airhead I would ever pay more than 5k for is a flawless 1972 R75/5 or a flawless R90S.

Too high by at least $1000. I would pay $5500 if I could be assured that it needed nothing for the next 3 years.

The problem for me has been that bikes that look great on the outside and ride well always need expensive, unforseen repairs a year later. I bought a 94 airhead that "needed nothing". I have spent over $3000 on repairs and parts on that bike.

If it were me, I would offer him $4500 and continue to look for another airhead RT.

Mike:

I haven't looked at airhead prices for some time, but:

-the economy is still in tough shape;
-motorcycles are discretionary purchases, and discretionary purchases are down;
-BMW's are specialty items, and specialty items are tough to sell.

I think you want to be agressive in your bid.

I sold an airhead once, and it was no fun at all.

But good luck. :thumb

soft used motorcycle market

Use this site to scan the country (copy and paste into your browser):

http://www2.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash....w&loc=&fil=&ys=1975&ye=1976&submit=++++go++++

Set the parameters to your liking.

Unless that bike under your consideration is in pristine-almost collectible- shape, that asking price is suspect. Up until about a year ago, internet asking prices were higher than dealer asking prices. But now the economy has taken more of a toll and net prices have dropped.

A "collectible" is one thing. A "ridin'" bike is something else.

One of my friends wants to sell his "collectible" Ducati Darmah (it is gorgeous!)for $8K. It is collectible because it is a classic bike, new parts are no longer available, and the bike is in excellent shape. But I am rambling....
Oh, by the way, he also has a Bimota and a Lavearda.

For instance...

Sounds quite high for me, even if it is good condition. There are lots of airheads out there, especially R100 and R80RTs.

Only airhead I would ever pay more than 5k for is a flawless 1972 R75/5 or a flawless R90S.

Yes, for example, there is a 1984 RT on IBMWR asking 5K with lower (claimed) miles. And more desirable large valve/carb motor, no trans circlip issue.

I wonder if the webmaster for this forum would ever consider a valuation section all by itself...seems like there is a lotta interest in this subject, but I doubt the appropriateness of this subject in tech forums, etc....just a thot...seems like this is a subject that engenders a lot of discussion without a lotta good conclusions being reached...bottom line for me is anything is simply worth what a buyer is willing to pay versus what a seller is willing to accept...

For instance, a fella I know had to get rid of his 1975 Honda Gold Wing, he couldn't ride it anymore, and he had to move and couldn't store it at his new home. Bike only had 21,898 miles on it... he adverstised it for $2000 for a while, no takers, called me up, asked me what I'd give for it...

My answer was I would pay nothing for it, and that was only if he threw in the title. I got the bike. See what I mean? And those bikes are being advertised for crazy money, but the bottom line is that its all about supply and demand... In this case, there was a supply, but no demand...

By the way, I gave the bike to a pal of mine with no bike...after all, I have a Harley and a Beemer, and they cover my motorcycling needs...and the same principle applied there too...

Back