Thread: RT Plastic Removal

RT Plastic Removal

I just had to remove the panels off my 2010 RT several time in a two day period (DAMW) and wanted to repeat what Semper Fi said on the maintenance Forum.

Semper Fi:
    RE-ASSEMBLY HINTS

1 - The bike is very well designed and goes back together very easily - if you are finding yourself you are forcing something - STOP - because something is wrong.
    2 - All panel mount centers fall exactly in place to the mounting centers if properly placed.
    3 - hand start all the screws for proper thread engagement and then when the respective panel is fully in place with all the screws/mounting hardware - then tighten

tsp:
    After working on some other bikes I found #1 hard to believe but I learned that it is true! After you do the plastic removal a few times you learn that the panels seem to fall into place and actually can wiggle a bit while in place.

tsp

Yup. Darn nice design.
    As an added hint to happy wrenching get a magnetic parts holder, kind of a metal bowl with a magnet on the bottom. I roll my tool chest to the bike and place the parts holder on it and drop the screws in it as I disassemble. Makes all the parts stay together and when you reassemble they are clean and handy.

I also take the time to clean and wax the tupperware while it's off.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

The same holds true on the GT - DAMHIK
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

My stainless steel panel screws won't stick to magnets. I use a cupcake tin with a labeled post-it on the bottom of each "bin" to label the panel the screws came from. It's ALMOST idiot proof! Room for 12 sets of screws, and misc small arts.

Stan
    Lake Tahoe