Thread: Product Review: Motopak 27T Magnetic Tank Bag

Product Review: Motopak 27T Magnetic Tank Bag

I needed a nice but moderately priced tank bag for my R100 with a steel tank. For the past two decades I have owned BMW tank bags. There is no doubt the BMW tank bag is a quality product. Is it worth the $? I have my own opinion about that.

I found and purchased this model tank bag after reading some reviews. First it is a Canadian made product and is of very high quality. Zippers everywhere include a nice big rubber tab that is easy to grip with gloves on your hands.

The bag is magnetic with two port-starboard 'wings' with embedded magnets. The magnets are very strong. On my plain R100, I can cruise at 85mph without worry that the bag will fly off. The material underneath it is rubberized finish that is nice to paint.

The bag comes with plenty of compartments including an external one for holding glasses and a cellphone. It can zip off if you need it to be removed. Also includes a shoulder harness, a steering head tie (quick snap), and bungee cords if you need to strap something across the top. Plenty of tie down points and almost all wings have HD Velcro straps for securing it when not in use. Motopak also includes a rigid plaster wall if you like the look of that

Like the BMW bag, there is a circumference zipper for expanding the bag to its full 27 liter volume.

As you can see the attached pictures, it fits the stock R100 tank well and does not block the removal of the seat.

Retail price is ~$80US. You can buy much less on evil-bay if you watch carefully.

Enjoy the pictures, Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

another picture

top picture with a ruler to show you the size of it.

Note ir has a clear top panel for viewing a map etc. To access the clear panel pocket there is an internal zipper.

Like all things, you get what you pay for.

I have a Cortech bag.. very good quality, easy to use, has built in rain cover and many small nooks and is useful. Well magnitized and good tank protection.

Doubles as a day backpack.

The extra cost amoritized over the years of usefulness is well worth it.

I have discovered in many items, quality is key to useful, long term value.

One of the reasons I have beemers.

Jim Dahl, Ketchikan, Alaska
    I like good stuff. No Chains here!
    1960 R50 -"Hanz"
    1977 R75/7 -"Gertie"
    2004 R1100s -"RFAR1"

Watkinsville, Georgia/Annapolis, Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by gertiektn View Post
    I have a Cortech bag.. very good quality, easy to use, has built in rain cover and many small nooks and is useful. Well magnitized and good tank protection.

Doubles as a day backpack.

The extra cost amoritized over the years of usefulness is well worth it.

I have discovered in many items, quality is key to useful, long term value.

One of the reasons I have beemers.

Jim Dahl, Ketchikan, Alaska
    I've seen the Cortech online only, great looking bag and loaded with features for the price, IMO. Is it easy to move when refueling?
    1971 BMW R75/5 | 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T Cafe | 1983 BMW R100RS | 1988 BMW R100GS
    1988 BMW K75 | 1998 BWM R1100RT | 2000 Moto Guzzi Quota 1100ES |2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans

Always try to ride in front of the guy with the magnetic tank bag!
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

I Got This One

Always wanted a monster tank bag so I got this one. The thing is HUGE!!!, and like rozemab find the quality very good. Not a big fan of magnetic bags but I can attach straps if I want. Now all I gotta do is go on a trip.......
    Have fun & Ride safe, Anthony
    '83 R100RS
    '03 GL1800A
    '99 KLR 250