• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Where to start?

tmoyer

Intermediate Adventurer
I've been thinging I'd like to explore the idea of a side car rig. I've always been facinated by them and I think I'd like to own one. But I need to do some research and homework before taking a leap.

Can someone point me in a direction of good reading material? Any tips or ideas on how to learn more? I understand it is quite different from riding a motorcycle and would like to read up.

I've been thinging I'd like to explore the idea of a side car rig. I've always been facinated by them and I think I'd like to own one. But I need to do some research and homework before taking a leap.

Can someone point me in a direction of good reading material? Any tips or ideas on how to learn more? I understand it is quite different from riding a motorcycle and would like to read up.

Find out if there are sidecar classes in your area. What better way to find out if you want one then learning to ride one? In VA the classes are around $100, classroom Fri evening, range on Sat and Sun. They provide the rig to ride and the training.

You will definetly want to get the 'yellow book'.
Mr. Hough has updated his 'Driving a Sidecar Outfit'.
It's a must read and is available through Whitehorse Press.
A course is a very good idea. It will let you try before you buy.

Where I Started

We decided to get a sidecar when we were stationed in Heidelberg Germany and my son Fred had trouble staying awake on the back of my K75C. On one trip I actually bungeed him to me for a couple of hours until we arrived at the beach in Denmark. So that fall we rode the K75 to England and had a single-size Squire ST3 sidecar installed. At first we retained the motorcycle wheels and rode Block K tires. When I realized how quickly tired would wear out we had a leading link front fork installed and had Lowell Neff build a rear wheel (the K75C had a drum brake in the rear). Now that rig has small car tires all around and handles like a champ. We sold the K75 to friends in 1999.

At first I was concerned that the riding experience would be compromised with this heavy appendage on the bike. But I soon learned that the sidecar was a blast and now I can't imagine not having one.

When our daughter was on the way we realized we would need a larger sidecar so we bought a rig from a nice family in Connecticut which we have had since 1996. I'll try to post photos of the two rigs.

K75C with Squire ST3 sidecar

Here's a photo of the K75 and my friend Craig Weaver somewhere in the desert southwest...

Attachments

• IMG_0883.jpg
    IMG_0883.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 79
And the Big Red One rig

This is the larger rig after a fresh paint job. I was going for an Army Olive look and got nearer to John Deere.

Attachments

• IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 79
I was going for an Army Olive look and got nearer to John Deere.

reminds me of the old joke...What did the tractor say to the plow...come closer, John, Deere!

Nice rig...I'm biased though!

Yes, definitely take the S/TEP, even if you have to ride or fly to one of the states where it is offered. They will provide the training rigs, and that may include sidecars, 1F2R trikes, and 2F1R trikes. You may encounter sidecar courses other than the S/TEP but I would avoid trying to learn from a sidecar enthusiast who is not S/TEP certified and insured. Both Virginia and Washington State have regularly scheduled S/TEP courses, and it's also offered in other states on a less frequent schedule.

Sidecar driving courses are sometimes offered at rallies, but I suggest you take the S/TEP at a state rider training facility where you'll get the whole enchilada including a license waiver. Some states require a three-wheeler endorsement.

The book you want is Driving A Sidecar Outfit (second edition) from Printwerk Graphics 800 736-1117 or Whitehorse Press 800 531-1133. The "Yellow Book" is not the only sidecar book in the world, but it's the only one that covers attachment and alignment as well as advanced driving skills. The book covers very similar material to the course, but it contains additional information that the course doesn't have time for.

pmdave

Thanks, everyone!

I got my copy of the yellow book yesterday in the mail. My state does not offer a class and as I was teaching the MSF class this weekend (in the extreme heat!), i have not had a chance to research this further. But I will.

Back