• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Your Mileage for 2004 ?

Ed wrote:
And, some of those miles ridden were going to my first national rally in Spokane

Just what I said. Better sMiles.

Voni
sMiling cause they're all good

Gizmo said:
Don't have to be retired to ride more, it all comes down to priorities.

I guess I didn't make myself totally clear.

The reason I mentioned that I was retired was to say that I wasn't out there trying to accumulate miles.

I just had the time to do a lot more things, than I would have had the time for if I had job responsibilities.

Actually, I still have time limitations because I have a cat that I need to care for.

I'm fortunate to have many friends who also ride, and who invite me to join them on their travels.

I 'm planning some trips this year that will allow me to visit several places I have never been before. There are many interesting places in the USA and Canada that I still want to see.

I don't feel that I have to travel to Europe, South America, etc. to have a special trip. There are lots of interesting placed in North America.

I have also ridden more miles in a year while I was working, but this year was at a much more relaxed pace... except for the 48 States Plus Alaska trip on the way to Hyder SeeK LOL

This past year had many quality sMiles with many good friends. I hope to have the health and wealth to continue my travels in future years.

I thought i was just doing the regular 15k miles, but the other day i was looking at some service receipts and was surprised to see I did over 20k this year. :thumb

pete

BradfordBenn said:
I want to be retired so I can ride more :stick

Actually this statement was meant in jest to my big sis Voni, cause when I asked her in April what her big plans were for retirement were the answer was ride more.

Also it doesn't matter how much we ride, it is if we ride. I would rather have a good five mile ride with lots of sMiles than a 1,000 mile day with no sMiles. Of course your mileage may truly vary.

:thumb

Voni said:
Ed wrote:

Just what I said. Better sMiles.

Voni
sMiling cause they're all good

Thought of you today Voni, during my long commute into the city, I passed a car with the plate: SMILES A dentist or a rider? :thumb

SheRidesABeemer wrote:
Thought of you today Voni, during my long commute into the city, I passed a car with the plate: SMILES A dentist or a rider?

Maybe both ; )

Voni
not sMiling right now because we're iced in . . .

around 5K for me.
Which is about the same as my daughter put on her pedal GS.
Mark

Last edited:
BMWMOA Mileage Contest results

When do the mileage contest results get published? I logged somewhere around +20K. It helped that I rode the bike when I was working on the road. I don't think I set foot in cage during September or October. I was working in WI and AL. :thumb

Something like 16.000 miles (26.000 km) of pure twisty Nordic pleasure... :wave

125.jpg

dzimbric said:
When do the mileage contest results get published? :thumb

Generally the April issue of ON has the complete results, BUT there was some mention that they may publish the detail results on line and only publish summary info in ON because with about 2,000 participans the results takes up a lot of space.

I think printing eveyones name is worth the space but that is only my opinion.

Karol Patzer runs the contest and with Sandy and the Board decide how things are done.

Good 2004

Let's see. 3,351 miles on the old white 1991 K100RS before it was stolen, wrecked, and totaled by my insurance company on June 7th. New bike started on that same date. The 2001 Red R1100RSA is at the dealers so I don't know the exact milage, but it is very close to 18,040. That makes 17,917 on the new bike since June 7th. Total for 2004, 21,268 miles. An above average year. :clap Since I will be digging out from the snow storm the rest of the week, bike will stay at the dealers for a while. No miles in 2005, yet. :cry
PMS.

tb

Dave92029 said:
I don't feel that I have to travel to Europe, etc. to have a special trip. There are lots of interesting placed in North America.

Sure enough, but my domestic tour ran me more $ per day than my Euro tour, and my domestic tour didn't even require airfare. Go figure! :dunno

With the added bonus of incredible roads and scenery, my Euro tour is a better bang for the buck.

BMW miles since '93

The Indianapolis BMW Club awards a plaque to each member who rides at least 10k during the previous year.
I know there were a couple of years since 1986 when I didn't qualify, but I can't recall which years.
Here are my stats since '93:
2004 - 10,163
2003 - 10,003
2002 - 10,849
2001 - 13,548
2000 - 11,593
1999 - 11,912
1998 - 13,115
1997 - 13,122
1996 - 13,862
1995 - 11,378
1994 - 19,621
1993 - 21,928
It should be noted that my divorce from my first wife was in 1993. I'll leave it up to you to decide which was the cause and which the effect.

Cause And Effect

It should be noted that my divorce from my first wife was in 1993. I'll leave it up to you to decide which was the cause and which the effect.
[/QUOTE]

It Appears To Me The Cause Was Worth The Effort Which Now Is The Effect!!
Many More Effect sMiles To You..... :thumb

A first Year!

My first year on my R. Put just over 22K on her. Commuting, weekends and a great ride to my first National Ralley. :thumb

I just gotta do this

While we're speaking of the miles/sMiles we've done this year, and savored the satisfaction of achieving the various 100K levels, let us not forget another brand that recognizes long-distance efforts. However, that brand begins awards with 10K. Is there something missing here? Why the difference? Hmm?

Towed mileage award

Maybe they will change the award to the number of miles you towed your bike. Or the number of hours you posed next to the bike, or the number of beers you drank at the bar you rode your bike to, oh I forgot, they give you a bag for that award. :dunno

I thought Manic Mechanic was joking about the Other Brand mileage awards starting at 10k, so I went to www.hog.com. Sure enough, here's what they say about it:

Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to be a fanatic to reap the benefits of this H.O.G.?« program. But it does help to have a steel posterior. The Mileage Program awards pins, patches, and motorcycle medallions to H.O.G. members just for riding their Harley-Davidson?« motorcycles. (Must be enrolled before mileage counts toward program. Subject to dealer verification. H.O.G.?« Fly & Ride miles may also be counted in your total.) As of 2001, a handful of members reached the 450,000-mile level since the program's original inception in 1989. One has even eclipsed 500,000 miles!

But don't worry, it's not actually a competition. In fact, you'll receive a pin and patch just for enrolling, and mileage awards begin at just 10,000 miles. So even if you never come close to the half-million mile mark, the Mileage Program is still a great way to tell the world, "Hey! I love riding my Harley?«!"

What? They let you count airline miles to and from your rented Harley destination?
I guess they're saying the sacrifices in comfort, performance and handling make 10,000 miles on a Harley a recognizable achievement.
Seen in that light, it begins to make sense.

At least they are riding, and any program that encourages people to ride is pretty good in my not so humble opinion.

Heck my first year of owning the RT I only did 5K.

Back