• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

81 R65 Restoration

Mike V. #30064
Finally finished the R65 restoration. I purchased this bike nearly 15 years ago, originally for my wife. My intention was to get it done sooner but a major house remodel and a multitude of other excuses kept it sitting in the garage. The bike was originally stored unprotected at water's edge here at the San Diego Yaght Club by the original owner so you can only imagine the corrosion and degradation from the salt air exposure. It was a mess. I did a complete ground up restoration except for the final drive, forks and transmission. Surprisingly enough the tank, seat and fender paint is original. It buffed-out beautifully. Complete top end with all new upgraded valves, seats, guides and rings. What a fun little bike! I have about 1200 miles on it since the rebuild and it's settling-in better than ever expected. I can't remember ever having this much fun - great experience and nothing short of a labor of love for all the hours invested. I'm including a photo link of most every process in hopes these photos will aid any of you thinking about doing a restoration or repair. I tried to capture most of the work in a somewhat organized tutorial format. Unfortunately I don't have a web site - that's my next big venture along with many more restorations...I hope. Love doing this. If you're interested ; after opening the link individual folders will be at the left of the blank screen for you to view. Many thanks go out to those that helped in the process; physically and spiritually - you know who you are. I'm a big believer in keeping these bikes running and on the road...nothing like 'em!

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq8/gruntyman66/81 R650 Restoration/

Attachments

• 05-09-10 Profile 002.jpg
    05-09-10 Profile 002.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Lovely work, Mike. I had an '83 for years in the 80s, and my wife another '83 in the mid-90s, both were black. Your machine brings back nice memories!

These are such underrated bikes - especially the giggle factor. Life cruising at 5500rpm on the freeway is certainly alien to many airheads. But they are most fun in town, tight roads, etc.

jforgo,
Couldn't agree with you more. This bike is a kick in the pants in the local canyons. Very quick and responsive and the carve factor is nothing short of exhilarating. These 650 motors really like to spin and act almost like a 2-stroke. It'll run down the interstate at 75 all day long. I think they're very under rated and I'm a bit surprised they aren't more popular. Light nimble and quick - an important part of the family with strong blood lines.

Last edited:
Great job! :thumb

Should be good inspiration for me to get off my duff and do same with mine. :brow

I like the silver Brembos. Is that how they came or a choice (I assume its paint)? I may follow suit. It sure cleans things up down there.

Mike,

Great pictorial. I wish I had documented my restorations from the beginning as well as you have. I like the detail.

I can also see that you took great pains to clean the engine cases by whatever means available. Duplication is the sincerest form of flattery. I'll be using some of your ideas.

I have been very careful with the cleaning and restoration of major engine and general components ----- including BEAD-BLASTING. Yea, according to the purists on this board, I am going straight to hell. But ---------- I'll be riding my airheads. :clap

Duh!

Paint / pin striping

Hi Mike,

You mention buffing out the paint. I would love to buff out my 85 R80RT's paint, but I don't really want to re-do the pin striping. Is there any way around it?
BTW: your paint and pin striping look fantastic!

Thanks,
Jer

Jer,
I used a very fine rubbing paste, 3m I think? Then followed with Meguiar's Polish and Meguiar's Wax. I was careful to stay away from the striping. The paint was in excellent condition when I started outside of a lot of aging film and a coat of collective dirt and grime. Only minor scratches and web swirls - you know how unforgiving black paint can be. I think the coat of dirt and grime was a dubious blessing in a way and served as a way of protecting the paint all those years. Even though the bike was uncovered in my garage, it was always protected from the harmful exposure to the CA sun.

Experiment in a small area with low reveal. You may be surprised. I would start with a very low grit (light abrasive) polish and maybe work up to a fine rubbing compound if the scratches and swirls don't dissapear. Keep an eye on your application cloth and the amount of paint being removed. Light application pressure in a circular pattern with linear buffing using a soft clean cloth.

Back