Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What a bunch of OLD PEOPLE

sportridertex

What a bunch of OLD PEOPLE

I've been riding my 1999 R1100RT since I bought it new in Fort Worth in June of 1999, the few BMW events I've been too, it's a crowd of over 50 year olds. What with the newer crop of BMW motorcycles, not all of them are what you want to tour on.

So I predict that the touring/rally aspect of BMW ownership is going to change.

New/younger blood will be BMW owners, if they can afford the cost of ownership.

Yeh, I'm older 58 now, damn, that was fast 0 to 58 in no time at all.

An interesting if not accurate description of the average BMW owner.

Heck I'm still in a minority as I still have to go to work in the morning.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

Rally Rat

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sportridertex View Post
    I've been riding my 1999 R1100RT since I bought it new in Fort Worth in June of 1999, the few BMW events I've been too, it's a crowd of over 50 year olds. What with the newer crop of BMW motorcycles, not all of them are what you want to tour on.

So I predict that the touring/rally aspect of BMW ownership is going to change.

New/younger blood will be BMW owners, if they can afford the cost of ownership.

Yeh, I'm older 58 now, damn, that was fast 0 to 58 in no time at all.
    As my elder (OK - I'm 57), I will respect the good advice you dispense.

I agree - some nice products (expecially the 800-series Beemers) to attract a more youthful crowd, and I hope as a club we do so.

Hit the nail on the head with "...if they can afford the cost of ownership."

For the mechanically un-inclined, that is a major hurdle to consider with one's purchase.

Made the last three rallies in a row - nice to see younger faces!

Now, sit down before you break a hip!

Ya but (said in an old man voice), "the older I get the faster I was!!"

Heck, go to any Harley event and you'd swear its a gathering for an AARP convention in leather chaps, skull caps and chains! Probably as much discussion about "roids", prostrate exams, colonoscopies and diet adjustment as there is about hot pipes and engine mods.

Hmm,....I wonder if Harley honors AARP discounts at their shops?

Or if they have senoir citizen days? You know, cup of coffee for a buck, free refills.
    Maybe a quart of dino oil for $5 (hey, its HD oil) with free oil treatment?

Write louder please, my hearing is shot.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

I said "THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS!"

Young punks just don't listen,.....I tell ya!

Look for the Chartered Club column in the September ON.

Perhaps you were looking over my shoulder as I wrote it.

Without change, it takes 20 years for an organization to die.

The question I think we should be asking is this: What would BMW MOA look like if we were starting it today?

What would it take to attract younger people? What activities would interest them enough to join and remain as members. What is the added value BMW MOA membership brings to the table?

I'm 43, I joined this year...

10-15 years ago, I used to hear all the old guys "When I turn 40, my wife's gonna let me get my Harley"... I don't hear that as much, less of us 40 somethings have the disposable income, those that do are into quads & boats it seems...

This is new to me, but I've been into fast cars my whole life, & luckily have been able to afford what I wanted to do...

Wife said I was having a 40-thing, but I told her, I started at 15, haven't stopped...

If [insert motorcycle company name here] was concerned about getting younger riders buying new machines, they'd produce a cheaper motorcycle.

The only way a proper young'en could afford a "new" BMW is with help of mommy and daddy. Offenseive, or not.. I just don't think some 18-year old working at McDonalds can afford an S1000RR. I had to cut quite a bit of grass to get my non-running airhead, and keep cutting to afford to fix it.

I don't think the newer models really attract young(er) people. Honestly, I think it helps customers feel younger by [BMW-]association.

There's two issues here. The first one is who's buying BMW's? Second is who's joining BMW MOA? I think I read some where that there are young people buying BMW's, but they are just not joining BWM MOA. To get those people would probably require change. And, you know how well we deal with change.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Snips everywhere:

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    The only way a proper young'en could afford a "new" BMW is with help of mommy and daddy.

I don't think the newer models really attract young(er) people. Honestly, I think it helps customers feel younger by [BMW-]association.
    Quote Originally Posted by 88bmwjeff
    There's two issues here. The first one is who's buying BMW's? Second is who's joining BMW MOA? I think I read some where that there are young people buying BMW's, but they are just not joining BWM MOA.
    MSRP 2009 Hayabusa $13,200, GSX- R1000 $12,900; 2010 BMW RR $13,800 (pre-order).

I don't know what BMW thinks are the price breaks for consumers, but BMW seems pretty competitive to me. Whoever's buying one can be tempted by the other.

Noel
    Who's 59, but would look really good showing up for work on an RR

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    When I bought my R1200R in Oct 09, the average age of a BMW customer was 50. Exactly my age that month.

BMW knows this, and they are targeting the S1000RR at the 37 year old market from what I read. That is supposedly the average age of the 1000 cc sport bike crowd. 20 somethings usually can not afford a new liter class bike, they say.

It is not just BMW. All manufactures are having trouble recruiting the current younger generation. Why ride a real bike when you can do it with an X-box.

My dealer thinks they should follow the baby-boomers and start making 3 wheelers for them.
    2009 R1200R Roadster

Actually, this is not just a motorcycle related problem with aging demographics.

The scuba diving industry has the same problem too: the average age is increasing rapidly and the youngsters are not getting into diving. There is no Mike Nelson to get their attention.

Amateur radio is in the same fix. Not much new blood entering the hobby.

I have decided not to participate in the "aging" thing. I can still outswim most of my scuba students, and can run all over the range during motorcycle class range days in 115 degree heat for 5 hours at a time at chronological year 61
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350, Instructor, Louisiana Dept of Public Safety
    Motorcycle Safety, Awareness & Operator Training Program
    NAUI Instructor #36288, Board Member, Divers Alert Network

Quote Originally Posted by TinyTrains View Post
    ...BMW knows this, and they are targeting the S1000RR at the 37 year old market from what I read. That is supposedly the average age of the 1000 cc sport bike crowd. 20 somethings usually can not afford a new liter class bike, they say.
    Funny thing is that I think it is a marketing problem for BMW to correct. A lot of 20 somethings I know have purchased 'busas or other crotch rockets in the same price range, the spend a lot more money extending the swing arm and chain to avoid unintentional wheelies.

If they can afford this kind of stuff, the S1000RR is in the ball game if you can convince them that a BMW is a cool, really fast bike. Some have tried it and love the machine.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350, Instructor, Louisiana Dept of Public Safety
    Motorcycle Safety, Awareness & Operator Training Program
    NAUI Instructor #36288, Board Member, Divers Alert Network

I know that I am going to take some shots on this one, but here it goes:

Any hobby or avocational interest that involves a major displacement of discretionary dollars will deter the "younger" (I can hear it now, "INCOMING") people. And I am not going to even bring up the subject of financing discretionary purchases-and even that assumes that they have a job or have not been laid off.

Right now the "younger" people in my area are buying wonderful homes on short sales. I do not see any boats, motorcycles, quads, golf clubs, nor other evidence of hobbies, etc. These 20 and 30 somethings are driving 7 year old cars or vans; and in one case, a wheezing Vespa scooter.

Not to hijack this thread, but why would I want to spend big bucks on a new bike (any brand) when Craig's List is chock full of used machines that are barely 3 years old with ridiculously low mileage on them?

Hey, Crazy drummer dude!
    I mowed lawns in PM's and worked in the post office in the AM's during the high school summers to help pay for college. Very honorable work!
    I miss those days.
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Current bike: 2015 Yamaha TW 200, modified for road/street use with tire, sprocket upgrades. "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "