• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What a bunch of OLD PEOPLE

As a 26-year old airhead I'd like to voice my opinion on the moa - I don't mean to offend anyone in the process...

I'm 24...and I ride naked airheads by myself, that I work on myself, when people tell me to part 'em out or "get a real motorcycle."

I see your points. If the ON was my only access to the "club" then I would completely agree. I've never read a single article in the ON about some guys trip to Zimbabwe or the Alps. Sometimes, it's hard to distinguish between "Let me show you this cool stuff." and "Look at me!"

Safety articles are just par for the course, so I quickly skim through those, too. The most recent one (about counter-steering) would be helpful to reference when explaining to a n00b street-rider... because my dirt-bike riding brothers still don't believe countersteering works.

Fully-farkled/faired bikes don't interest me, and I too don't much see the point. As compared to big rig 18wheelers with all the bells and whistles I refer to these motorcycles as "lil' rigs."

Ironbutt events(?) seem absolutely stupid and dangerous to me.
Going to every rally to accumulate every pin/badge doesn't impress me either.
RV parking at a motorcycle rally also, in my opinion, defeats the purpose.
Attending board meetings doesn't interest me much; I hate bureaucracy.

I've gone to a few rallies, and will continue to do so for the people there; not the mileage bragging rights or the extra patch that I'll lose in some drawer somewhere. When I started to get to know some members offline, I started to appreciate the value of the club. It is the offline connections that keep me paying to be part of the club.

I'm 24...and I ride naked airheads by myself, that I work on myself, when people tell me to part 'em out or "get a real motorcycle."

I see your points. If the ON was my only access to the "club" then I would completely agree. I've never read a single article in the ON about some guys trip to Zimbabwe or the Alps. Sometimes, it's hard to distinguish between "Let me show you this cool stuff." and "Look at me!"

Safety articles are just par for the course, so I quickly skim through those, too. The most recent one (about counter-steering) would be helpful to reference when explaining to a n00b street-rider... because my dirt-bike riding brothers still don't believe countersteering works.

Fully-farkled/faired bikes don't interest me, and I too don't much see the point. As compared to big rig 18wheelers with all the bells and whistles I refer to these motorcycles as "lil' rigs."

I've gone to a few rallies, and will continue to do so for the people there; not the mileage bragging rights or the extra patch that I'll lose in some drawer somewhere. When I started to get to know some members offline, I started to appreciate the value of the club. It is the offline connections that keep me paying to be part of the club.
+1

+1,000,000 :bow

The Rally thing isn't for me, either. That's somewhat strange as mom was the rally chair of the very first MOA rally. :D
The one and only rally I attended was as a guest of my dad in Prineville (1980). It was OK, but large numbers of bikes doing the same thing are just not something that interests me.

That said, I understand part of the draw. It's a reason to get out and ride someplace you might not otherwise have ridden. A friend goes to every rally, probably since the first in '73. I think part of his enjoyment is planning the route there; seeing what new roads he can ride. That part sounds like fun. Sitting around with a bunch of other owners once you get there... not so much.

I finally got around to joining the MOA about 3 years ago after 20 years of riding beemers. I would have likely joined earlier if I'd ever received an invitation. :dunno I find it strange that the only place I've ever noticed a "come join us" ad is in ON... which you don't get until you've already joined.

My joining tilted the membership rolls another notch in the over 50 (I'll soon be 60) direction.

I personally love the ON articles about people riding in other parts of the world.

I have just enough adventure genes to appreciate the story, not enough actually go myself. Besides, I am too cheap to turn loose of the $$$$ or give up the income for a couple of years. There are other things I like too.

Lets me live vicariously thru them.

Rod

When I started to get to know some members offline, I started to appreciate the value of the club. It is the offline connections that keep me paying to be part of the club.

I still haven't met anyone outside the forum, someday I'll take up Bubba zanetti's offer to meet up at bar matchless for motor gp night

That's funny ! I usually get the "get a real motorcycle" lecture from the Harley crowd where I teach Riders Edge courses. Interestingly, of the 12 active instructors I work with there, only one owns a Harley, which makes for some interesting discussions with the students !

I still haven't met anyone outside the forum, someday I'll take up Bubba zanetti's offer to meet up at bar matchless for motor gp night
You may have'ta wait a while for that since he's bikeless (and down South). But you can meet up with some forum peepsÔÇömostly local ADVersÔÇöat the Ear Inn in Soho every Tuesday night from @ 7 on.

If you ever make it into the city, gimme a shout! :thumb

A Battle for the Ages!

The kids do not want training, they want thrills. Somehow a 50 something snoring in the next tent is not a thrill for them, go figure.
A way to have track days at local rallies would attract some interest if the price were reasonable.
Rather than a slow race, a wheelie, stunt competition would be more in order.
Beer tent should also have Red Bull and J?ñgermeister.
Party area at the rally?
Wow, I bet the insurance is a issue for this.
I think attending some events they do like and taking notes is an idea. Do we have anyone young enough to go under cover.
Rod
I attend Sport Bike North West every year in Stevenson, WA....I've been undercover for 5 years....and I must say there isn't a whole hell of a lot of difference between the 20 and 30 somethin's I hang out w/ there and the 50-60 year olds that were at the Rally in Redmond. The only real difference....the 60 year old really know how to party!!
I would agree. It's all done electronically by them now, with twitter, etc. Plus, the economic issues remain for the younger of them. As long as a 650cc Japanese bike can be purchased for $3k-$7k, BMW has no chance at attracting the youngest buyers, even if they win at WSB. And the RT and LT have the same stigma for young folks as the Goldwing.....perception is reality for them.
It's so nice to be older and wiser!:D
After a while, all the wrenching involved w/ those "affordable" bikes gets old. Those that spend a few more on a Beemer will actually spend less over the long run....I am out there on the "youngster" forums representing the brand as best as I can. Very few are interested in touring bikes....most are digging the motards and the mid-weights. But isn't that what most of you "older and wiser" guys were into when you were that age? I will eventually "graduate" to an RT or a big GS...but for now I am digging on the S1RR. And I promise, there isn't anything to worry about when it comes to the face of the MOA....the ones that will gravitate to the club and the brand have your same interests at heart.
http://www.motosavvy.com/fusebox/dsp_1col.cfm?page_id=329

I can't attest to the accuracy of the quoted paragraphs. I'm also not questioning that BMWs have historically been aspirational for consumers, but price and performance suggest that the RR is a realistic opportunity for BMW to break ground in new markets. [...must not mention lack of dealerships... must not mention...]
Implications for MOA: What sort of social activities do these high powered sport bike riders want? There are some threads in the archives where posters cited the Bowling Alone in America book, so we're partially covering well trod ground. The point being, like some of the posters in this thread have made, that there's less tendency for youngsters to be joiners.
BMW has the potential to make sales in new markets. What might MOA do for these same markets?
Noel
Those youngsters are the biggest joiners...hence the FB and MySpace, ect.. As for the interests of young riders...they are the same as most riders no matter what the age; bikes, beers, boobs. :brow I think a lot of us are a lot alike...and I have no idea how old you guys are.
Who is going to replace us old codgers when we die out. It's going to be the young whipper snappers as they age into old codgers. I wanted a BMW when I was 23 in 1970 but I didn't get my first one until I was in my 50s. I had many different UJMs until I aged into codgerhood and got old enough to feel comfortable with a BMW motorcycle and a Buick. Had I known in my whipper snapper days what I know now, I would have had a BMW bike much sooner.
At 42 I've owned 4 Beemers already. We ARE buying them younger now. I think I'm right in between the "youngsters" and the "codgers". I can see it happening very clearly. Honestly, I see both groups looking for acceptance from the other....both a little intimidated.

I have it pretty good....being right in the middle age wise, I am comfortable around every one of you crazy bikers....but one day I think I'll start to look at that 25 year old kid on that fancy 200 hp BMW and wonder, "just who the hell does he think he is!":D

feb-mar2010119.jpg

The most recent one (about counter-steering) would be helpful to reference when explaining to a n00b street-rider... because my dirt-bike riding brothers still don't believe countersteering works.

When I talk to people about this and they don't understand- I tell them the next time they are out riding, in a safe place, while they are going down the road, have them put their left hand on the top of their helmet. Generally they are instantly amazed how the steering is affected.

I'm sure the S1000RR is a great bike, but if BMW wants to attract the younger riders they will have to invest in a racing program AND start achieving success with it. They will be competing with manufacturers that have been at it for decades. The big names in racing don't invest the big bucks it takes just for bragging rights. They know that getting their name out there in racing is what brings buyers into the showrooms, especially young buyers.

I'm sure the S1000RR is a great bike, but if BMW wants to attract the younger riders they will have to invest in a racing program AND start achieving success with it. They will be competing with manufacturers that have been at it for decades. The big names in racing don't invest the big bucks it takes just for bragging rights. They know that getting their name out there in racing is what brings buyers into the showrooms, especially young buyers.

Have you been following World Superbike? Troy Corser is not doing too bad. This is only BMWs second year in the series. Troy is the "old hand" brought in to dial in the bike. He has taken pole, and a podium or two. The bike is very fast, but can not yet stay in front, but they are definitely making very good progress. Once the bike is mature, Troy will be replaced with some young hot-shot to bring home the trophies. I would say they are quite serious.

:buds

So do we want a track-based class (much akin to Team Oregon's ART) day as a Rider Performance University weekend? How about a BMWMOA contingency program for all MOA members actively campaigning the brand's racing-designed (HP2, S1RR, G450X) in specific club races?

Thoughts?

Back