• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Road selection E.KY through PA to VT

kantuckid

I have been through all states enroute but trying to find a non-slab pathway that gets me from near the Charleston,WV area towards the RA Rally in Bennington,VT(near Albany,NY) without too much deviation. I have been on most of the slab in PA,etc., but want to see more of that state in particular. What with many of the hwys. there following the mountains it is hard to see a scenic but somewhat direct route. Mapquest takes me on slab across MD(I've done that one a bunch) & up through Harrisburg,PA. What say you "experts"? Thanks in advance!:scratch

Calling StatDawg

Statdawg to the white phone!

The Dawg has ridden more hillbilly highways than any other mortal in PA!

For WV:

I'm guessing you'll be on 64 or 60 to Charleston?

If you are on Rt 60, ride it to Hico, WV and hang a left on Rt 19. It will meander you to Morgantown.

If on I64, you can catch 19 just south of Flatwood.

Hope it helps.

We are going to slab it the first day, and spend the night in Harrisburg, Pa. the next morning we will slab it to Allentown, pa. where we will pick up Rt. 22 to Rt 33 up to East Stroudsburg where we will pick up Rt. 209 and follow the Delaware River up to Port Jervis. From there we will slab it east on I-84 just far enough to pick up Rt. 7 north. Rt. 7 will take us all the way to Pownal. it will be aprox. 570 miles on day 1 and aprox 330 on day 2. if all goes as planed we should arrive at the Rally site on the afternoon of the Monday the 26th...

Disclaimer: Mileages are aprox. your mileage may vary.......:)

How about this one or do you want more twisties ?

Let the WV riders route you in their state because I will have you do 1,000 miles of it and you need to get to VT. :eek

My choice takes up through a long mountain valley and provides you a quick peak at the Bloomsburg rally site. Then northward through the woods and farms of Pennsylvania into scenic NY and trying to get you around Albany. RT 11 from Selinsgrove to Bloomsburg Pa. can be slowed due to rush hour. The rest of the time you can go as fast as on slab except in the small towns.

I can meet and guide you through the northeast corridor if you wish or ride along to Vermont. However on the 27th of July I have to attend a Military funeral of a storied family member.

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/118011/embed" height="500px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I would do it this way through PA, longer but MUCH twistier. and scenic IMHO. May add time, but it is Smiles per mile that count for me, a good day in the twisties seem shorter, than 2 hours on boring roads.
:thumb

I love that way also but on Rt 487 in Catawissa there is a bridge replacement project. It is a nightmare long one lane with a long traffic control light on the way to or from the amusement park filled with families enjoying summer. I can route around it to keep the twisty theme if you wish.

One can also go north of Harrisburg on Rt 11 and take the Millersburg Ferry across the river. Nice to relax and avoid the hot asphalt of going around north of Harrisburg Pa. I dont know but there could be construction in that area on Rt 81 / 78.

A friend of mine lives near the I-81 and I-80 exchange. he told me that I-81 is under construction from Hazleton to Scranton. he says to expect major delays. thats why I routed us threw Allentown.

RT 209 Short Cut around Stroudsburg Pa Traffic.

A friend of mine lives near the I-81 and I-80 exchange. He told me that I-81 is under construction from Hazleton to Scranton. he says to expect major delays. that's why I routed us threw Allentown.

Its been bad for a while due to bridge repairs between Wilkes-Barre and Scranton. The worse is the RT 81 southbound from south of Wilkes-Barre all the way past West Hazleton being down to one lane for at least 10-15 miles. I usually go a scenic way which will be in an upcoming ride report.

Here is a current construction map for the state. Prior to the Federal Stimulus program Pennsylvania was on a 5 year mission to correct all the roads and bridges from 2007 to 2012, now with the stimulus they are doing even more. The situation is our infrastructure needs updating because its past the 50 year life expectancy.

My only concern with you is RT 209's traffic situation around Stroudsburg and Marshall's Creek. I ran around all this by taking a few back roads and had them to myself. Here is the route, and it gets you to Milford / RT 84. Great for any size bike.

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/118443/embed" height="500px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I intend to go up the New Jersey side (519 and 521, parallel to US 209), crossing into NJ at Philipsburg. I've heard good things about these Jersey roads.

Will be leaving home on the 28th, spending the night of the 28th at Matamoras, PA, then riding up the Taconic Pkway in NY and jogging east through Litchfield County, CT to Pownal on the 29th. I would welcome company!

Its been bad for a while due to bridge repairs between Wilkes-Barre and Scranton. The worse is the RT 81 southbound from south of Wilkes-Barre all the way past West Hazleton being down to one lane for at least 10-15 miles. I usually go a scenic way which will be in an upcoming ride report.

Here is a current construction map for the state. Prior to the Federal Stimulus program Pennsylvania was on a 5 year mission to correct all the roads and bridges from 2007 to 2012, now with the stimulus they are doing even more. The situation is our infrastructure needs updating because its past the 50 year life expectancy.

My only concern with you is RT 209's traffic situation around Stroudsburg and Marshall's Creek. I ran around all this by taking a few back roads and had them to myself. Here is the route, and it gets you to Milford / RT 84. Great for any size bike.

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/118443/embed" height="500px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

For WV:

I'm guessing you'll be on 64 or 60 to Charleston?

If you are on Rt 60, ride it to Hico, WV and hang a left on Rt 19. It will meander you to Morgantown.

If on I64, you can catch 19 just south of Flatwood.

Hope it helps.

How long would you give (very rough estimate) to get from Charleston to Morgantown via this road? If I slab to Charleston(I have done that one mucho times!,it is ~135k from my house) and also , is the portion from Hico to Tesla worth taking vs. slab to there? thanks

P.S. I like to meander!

Paul, what is with the "white phone" reference? Sounds like what Doris Day would use to call Rock Hudson? Statdawg, please share with us-if you so desire- RE, the "storied" family members funeral? I am always interested in things military.

How long would you give (very rough estimate) to get from Charleston to Morgantown via this road? If I slab to Charleston(I have done that one mucho times!,it is ~135k from my house) and also , is the portion from Hico to Tesla worth taking vs. slab to there? thanks

P.S. I like to meander!

Hey there Kantuckid, Here's what I suggest...

From Charleston I would hop on I79N and take a 45 minute ride to Flatwoods and jump on 19. Great 2 lane ride with cool small towns along the way.

Flatwoods to Morgantown via 19N can be done in 2-3 hours, it can easily be stretched out longer.

Hico to Telsa by 19-40, I have no idea. I may check it out Saturday, thanks for pointing it out.

*Disclaimer
60 out of Charleston is a great road, especially if you stay south, but 19 from Hico is slab and it would be out of your way for nothing really.

It isn't what you asked, but, if you have a day to spare in VT...

About 15 or 20 miles east out of Bennington on rte 9 is rte 100. Very scenic road, and combined with rte 30 and 7 it might make for a good little 1/2 day run through the Green Mtn. National Forest. I haven't been there in a number of years, so I can't attest to its current condition, but it used to be my favorite road in all the NE. I'll be hitting the northern end of it in August on my 10 day jaunt around New England.

Enjoy your ride :)

Thanks for the suggestion, as a retired guy I can do that! I was already giving some thought to a roundabout trip home. I have been in VT several times but never on a bike. We went to NS last fall on a camper trip and came back through rather quickly .

Our plans are starting to come together. We will arrive on Monday afternoon. Tuesday we will stay local,within a 75 mile radius. we're going to leave early Wednesday morning and ride up to Ben & Jerrys (3Hrs) yum yum. from there its only 40 minutes to the Vermont Teddy Bear Factory. from there its about 3 hours back to the Rally site. Then it will be time to relax. :bottle

Back