• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where can I hide my spare key? R1200RT

Knife will do it. However, consider mirror pods.
But I'm a girl, my knife will be locked up! Instead of a key in my pocket I gotta carry a swiss army knife? I'm gonna pop the mirror in a few. Best idea....duct tape it on or something. Last popped the mirror the day I brought the bike home....had to see how everything worked!

But I'm a girl, my knife will be locked up! Instead of a key in my pocket I gotta carry a swiss army knife? I'm gonna pop the mirror in a few. Best idea....duct tape it on or something. Last popped the mirror the day I brought the bike home....had to see how everything worked!
Dear Girl.

First question is - do you have mirror tethers? If you do [and you should] you can duct tape or even string tie the spare to the tether.

However, a nice KaBar on your hip not only gets those pesky zip ties removed - it also gets you respect in the "badass-for-lunch-bunch".....:thumb

My main bike keys are on their own tag for each bike. That way no big ring-o-keys on the handle bars.

Then I keep copies on my ring-o-keys that I use for everything but motorcycles that live in my pocket.

Works as long as I don't loose my pants. Which almost never happens. :german

Scott

Spare Key in Mirror Pod on RT

Will placing the spare key in the mirror pod cause it to have any effect on the EWS system?

Very simple solution

Go to your local hardware store. buy some length of the small chain they have by the key machine. You know the kind people use for keys. Cut a piece long enough to go round your neck, and one of the little connectors. Get one for each bike your ride out of town on. Riding out town wear your key. Put it next to your billfold at night when you sleep. This absolutely guarantees you will never lose your primary key. A quick tap on your chest confirms it is there. Some bikes these days (HD for example) have a security fob that has to be near the bike to let the bike start. So hiding this type on your bike will not work. Unless you turn the battery around.
On a trip I always check before i start out that day. Billfold, cell phone, camera, extra key.
I learned this from the IBA Forum.

I did exactly what Greenwald did....2nd post. I wore out two wallets with that darn key. Now I guess I better write myself a note with the key location and put it in my wallet..LOL:groovy

You could always keep it in your pocket. :stick
+1

Lots of Rube Goldberg concepts for a simple problem. :scratch Lets break it down:
  1. Choose a zipped pocket on your riding pants (not the jacket as you'll tend to take it on and off).
  2. Put the key in said pocket.
  3. Put nothing else in said pocket so you're never messing with it.
  4. Zip the pocket shut.
  5. Stop thinking about it.
  6. Enjoy the ride.

Check out one of the nylon moneybelts from Aerostich. Ya leave 'em on your riding pants, put a spare key and 4 or 5 $20 bills in it and you're ready if you lose your key OR your wallet....:groovy

EWS Problem?

Pop off a mirror, and zip-tie it to one of the fairing subframe tubes/brackets - out of sight, but easy to access.

This is a good idea, Do you think by putting it there that it would mess with the EWS Ring?

Southerndude:brow

I too like the zip tie method the best. For many years I've attached a spare key to one of my belt loops and have had no problems. Others I've know carry a spare in the watch pocket of their jeans.

Why does one need to carry a spare key?:dunno

For the fun of it drop your key where the saddlebag meets the bike. This can make for some serious bouts of cursing. The key can and will lodge itself in such a way that the only way to get to it is by removing the saddlebag and for that you need the key.

Only one of many examples of where an extra key can make the day a good one or, as someone posted somewhere else, a miserable experience.

2nd key

Took my tip from a fellow long distance rider. Place a second key on chain (like a dog tag) on a chain around your neck. You won't lose it and it is always conveniently available. :bikes

Back