• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where can I hide my spare key? R1200RT

Never had any issue with the steering lock on any BMW I've owned.

Most likely because you regularly or at least periodically use them. On Voni's R1100RS it most likely had never been engaged since 1993. So after 35 years or so it was pretty gunked up to say the least. It has never been on my routine maintenance checklist, nor BMWs as far as I can find.

Most likely because you regularly or at least periodically use them. On Voni's R1100RS it most likely had never been engaged since 1993. So after 35 years or so it was pretty gunked up to say the least. It has never been on my routine maintenance checklist, nor BMWs as far as I can find.
Actually, I seldom use them on my bike, but I do check them from time to time.
Have lots of clients leave their bikes with the steering locked and never have an issue unlocking those either.
I suspect that worn keys and making copies of worn keys are causing the reported issues. The locking mechanisms are good quality.
Years ago a locksmith told me to put a new spare key away and only make copies from that one. It's always worked for me. YRMV.

Actually, I seldom use them on my bike, but I do check them from time to time.
Have lots of clients leave their bikes with the steering locked and never have an issue unlocking those either.
I suspect that worn keys and making copies of worn keys are causing the reported issues. The locking mechanisms are good quality.
Years ago a locksmith told me to put a new spare key away and only make copies from that one. It's always worked for me. YRMV.

That might be. I have lost track of the several keys on Big Red, at 412,000 miles or so. I do know that the original little all metal blank is reasonably worn. In any event, with the bars turned full lock and the key turned full counterclockwise the forks locked and it took more than an hour of fiddling to get it unlocked. Panic time in the campground in Montana.

I took off the license plate and Gorilla taped mine to the rear fender under where the plate goes. With the tape trimmed and the license plate screwed back on over it, can't tell it's there. I figured in a pinch I could come up with a screwdriver of some sort to get the plate off and get to the key.

Newer fob-based bikes

I keep mine in a Faraday pouch inside my Givi topcase. That way I don't interfere with the receiver...and the key lives in a case with a separate key. Now, if only I could find the spare Givi key....

I keep mine in a Faraday pouch inside my Givi topcase. That way I don't interfere with the receiver...and the key lives in a case with a separate key. Now, if only I could find the spare Givi key....

He said Faraday!
Welcome to the forum!
Gary

There is a compartment on the right side of the fairing that is a keyed storage compartment. There is a USB cable in there for media like MP3 music. It is embedded into a piece of soft foam. Remove the soft foam and trim a small slot on the bottom of it to fit the key. Replace the foam but don't lock the compartment. I have my "Wallet Key" in there.

Spare keyf

I wish I would have thought of this sooner, but I did not.

I am leaving tomorrow on a 2,000 mile road trip on my R1200RT. Where can I hide a spare key on my bike where it is safe, won't interfere with EWS and will remain firmly attached until and if I need it? The side and top cases are out because I probably will have those locked.

Thanks
Taped to the inside of my tank bag zipper compartment all the way in right side.
Nights always take my tank bag with me.

There is a compartment on the right side of the fairing that is a keyed storage compartment. There is a USB cable in there for media like MP3 music. It is embedded into a piece of soft foam. Remove the soft foam and trim a small slot on the bottom of it to fit the key. Replace the foam but don't lock the compartment. I have my "Wallet Key" in there.

Won't work if your bike has central locking. You lock up the bike, walk away, loose the FOB, your screwed!

Back