• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where can I hide my spare key? R1200RT

T

Toadmanor

I wish I would have thought of this sooner, but I did not.

I am leaving tomorrow on a 2,000 mile road trip on my R1200RT. Where can I hide a spare key on my bike where it is safe, won't interfere with EWS and will remain firmly attached until and if I need it? The side and top cases are out because I probably will have those locked.

Thanks

I wish I would have thought of this sooner, but I did not.

I am leaving tomorrow on a 2,000 mile road trip on my R1200RT. Where can I hide a spare key on my bike where it is safe, won't interfere with EWS and will remain firmly attached until and if I need it? The side and top cases are out because I probably will have those locked.

Thanks

Place your 2nd key on a medium to large-sized split ring. Then follow the hydraulic cable for the R1200RT clutch line down under your bike until you see it connecting to the clutch mechanism underneath (just lay down and feel with your hand on the shifting side of the undercarriage - you will feel about 10" of steel-braided cable bowed back towards the center of the motorcycle).

Carefully attach the split ring w/key to the clutch line. It will slide towards the left side of the bike and remain there (out of sight and impossible to lose) until needed. Might want to wrap it in electrical tape to keep it quiet and free of road debris/mud/rain/etc.

It will also be far enough away from the EWS antenna to not cause problems.

Enjoy your travels! :thumb

Place your 2nd key on a medium to large-sized split ring. Then follow the hydraulic cable for the R1200RT clutch line down under your bike until you see it connecting to the clutch mechanism underneath (just lay down and feel with your hand on the shifting side of the undercarriage - you will feel about 10" of steel-braided cable bowed back towards the center of the motorcycle).

Carefully attach the split ring w/key to the clutch line. It will slide towards the left side of the bike and remain there (out of sight and impossible to lose) until needed.

It will also be far enough away from the EWS antenna to not cause problems.

Enjoy your travels! :thumb

Great I will see if I can find this cable.

Thanks.

Well I went out had a look and can't seem to locate a braided cable underneath. I see where it come off the clutch lever but nothing down under.

Duct tape a key to the back of your license plate.

You can always find tools to get the plate off and no one will go looking there for a key.

If they do look there and find it, you get a new bike from the Ins company.

gsjay

You could always keep it in your pocket. :stick

Another choice is taped to the side (or top or bottom or where ever it fits) of the taillight reflector. If needed you'll need to beg a phillips screwdriver to remove the lens to get at the key.

Pop off a mirror, and zip-tie it to one of the fairing subframe tubes/brackets - out of sight, but easy to access.

Good thing I'm not a thief... I now have 2 new areas to look for keys...

Actually, was thinking the same thoughts, I'll have to check for that line under the bike...

On longer trips I usually carry the plastic key in my pants pocket just in case. It's small, unobtrusive and good peace of mind.

Spare key lives in an inside pocket of the Darien. I always wear the jacket, so it's always with me. Only once in a blue moon do I lock the jacket to the bike (I carry some wire cable for this); then I just take the key (and the credit card that lives in another jacket pocket) with me.

Added the model to the thread title - perhaps more RT owners have more ideas.

I've been known to sew the plastic spare key to the inside pocket on my Roadcrafter 'stich. Since I ride ATGATT - the spare key is always with me.

Next year I am planning a solo ride so will have to think of this - since I have a Givi top case and carry that key in my jacket I could put the spare bike key inside where it would be under lock and key. :whistle

But this year I will riding with a buddy on his bike (FJR) so we just trade spare keys.

On longer trips I usually carry the plastic key in my pants pocket just in case. It's small, unobtrusive and good peace of mind.
I never go anywhere without my wallet on my person - ever. Inside the wallet there is a key holder pocket tucked into the paper money area. I have always carried a spare key to the bike there. Granted, these EWS plastic keys are a little fat and bulging in there but the thought of losing a key, and the sheer stupidity I would feel for not having a spare with me makes it pretty easy to deal with the bulge.

I do have to admit that at least one idea posted here has significant merit toward getting rid of "the bulge".

Once... in all my years of riding... lost my key at a gas station. I was already wondering how to hot wire the bike when my riding buddy went back inside. Somehow I had dropped the key in the restroom - probably pulling out my hankerchief that I normally wet to tie around my neck on hot days. Someone had turned it in to the checkout counter clerk.

Since that day I carry a spare key in my jacket pocket but I do like some of the ideas posted here. I have been know to leave my jacket on the bike all too often and making matters worse is the fact that I normally put my wallet in it also to eliminate the bulge.

I'm not saying which I idea I like best so that you won't steal my bike (it's still too new!).

tsp

Jacket pocket works unless you lock your jacket in your topcase.
Best thing is to trade spare keys with your riding buddy (unlikely you both lose your keys).

If I zip tie my key to the clutch cable or such, how will I cut the zip tie? All too complicated for my feeble brain.

Back