Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1971 r60/5 rear tire replacement

Quote Originally Posted by GrafikFeat View Post
    How does that translate to the Can-Am?
    Would m/c tires improve handling of one?
    Sudden unplanned swerves are less of a problem for Sparky and the 2F 1R configuration. As with an auto, the two front wheels are connected via tie rods, so one wheel counteracts what the other is trying to do.

Secondly, Spyders have power steering, which gives the Spyder Dryver some additional steering force.

pmdave

Quote Originally Posted by itshimself View Post
    the bike is hauling a sidecar.i would like to replace the rear tire with something designed for hack use.can any sidecarista's reccomend a good brand.the bike never is used off road.
    One of the joys of hacking is being able to drift down a gravel road at speed. Some knobs are helpful--except for grated bridge decks.

When I rigged up my R100/Ural for desert duty, I installed some Italian rubber with a tread pattern for about 60% dirt/40% street. It could have used more aggressive knobbies for the dirt.

Eventually I decided to run the dual sport tires on the street to wear off the remaining rubber. I was amazed that the semi-knobby wore about as well on the street as a conventional "street" tire. Now I'm less conservative, and have a genuine dirt knobby mounted on one of my wheels. It wouldn't bother me to run it on pavement once in a while.

I knew some Australians who shipped their R1150 GSs to BC and traveled to Alaska, Colorado, etc. A couple of the machines had serious knobbies, and at the end of the trip there was still acceptable rubber left.

pmdave

John D'oh

Ymmv...

I bought an R80 G/S back in 81 and saved two rear tires from it to mount on the sidecar motorcycle front and rear (both 18") with a round profile street tire on the sidecar. I was impressed with the handling in what little rain came down in NM and AZ and I expected good results in the dirt of course but the street handling was excellent. I got a good number of miles from the remaining tread. I used up several sets of 18" Enduro style tires in that manner.

From my sketch book...
    Last edited by Na Cl K9; 08-08-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by s09rwmb View Post
    From my sketch book...
    You got anymore in this vein?