• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Baja Mexico anyone?

LeRoux Strydom

Over on the oilhead forum, there seems to be a bit of interest from members wishing to ride to Baja, Mexico.

As I'm definitely among them, I thought I'd start a thread here to pick up ideas from those who have BTDT.

I'm planning a trip in mid-Oct '05 with 3 other fellows, 1 of which has previous Baja touring experience.

I'd appreciate all the advice from any riders who've done Baja.

be sure to scour the ride reports over at advrider.com, theyve got a large number of folks who've been there and will have good beta for you.

username said:
be sure to scour the ride reports over at advrider.com, theyve got a large number of folks who've been there and will have good beta for you.

Thanks UN for the link.

I had a quick look...the hard-core crowd at advrider would probably recommend I put knobbies on the RT.... :confused:

dont be intimidated. :D while there certainly are a bunch of people that do baja in a very hardcore way, there is tons of good info for a road rider, and those folks will chime in with useful info if you ask a specific question. if you think youll be in a specific town for instance, post a note up there and ask for info. people will likely chime in with recommended bars, restaurants, places to stay, where the federales are, and all sorts of stuff.

I have lived in So Cal pretty much my whole life and been to Baja a bunch. I highly reccomend The Baja Book IV. It's a large blue paperback book written by three generations of one family thats been traveling down there together with friends. Great info and always updated. Coming from VW's and The Idiot Manual, this book reminded me of that. My wife as my copilot would say "in the book it says there is a small turn off at KM 85" sure enough there it was at KM 85. Best book on the Baja.

baja

Hey guys,
I am thinking about getting an 1150rt. If that comes to pass, I'd like to go down there with you. Be a nice trip on a Beemer. If I do indeed get it that is.

Baja

Nine from the local San Diego area just went to Mike's Sky Ranch. Since the guys who organized this are dirt riders, that is the route we took. I'm NOT a dirt rider and I found the trip demanding. There has been a lot of rain in the last few weeks and the trails had substanial and deep sand ugh :dunno

The water crossings were wide and fast moving. The ruts were deep and plentiful.

The trip home I took paved roads to Ensenada to TJ. The Coast Hwy (1) is breath taking beautiful, the people are friendly and helpful, and overall it was a wonderful trip.

Baja is NOT the US and don't expect the roads, signs , traffic flow, etc. to be the same as the US. That is the fun of going there. It is a different country and they do things different. It's more fun if you don't compare but accept and enjoy what is there. :brow

I'm sure you'll have a great time is you slow down and take the time to enjoy their way of doing things.

Attachments

• KIF_0812.JPG
    KIF_0812.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I've been to Ensenada via my motorcycle, but we've gone twice to Baja with our Xterra. I recommend the Lonely Planet guide for Baja. The toll road from Tijuana to Ensenada is an awesome motorcycle road!

Here are the photo albums to the trips:

All of Baja Trip

Baja 1000 Trip

Baha Whale Watching Trip

img_0627.jpg

Last edited:
IMHO, three most important things to take to Baja:
1) Proper paperwork. You'll need different insurance, and a letter from BMW stating it's ok to take your bike to Mexico if it's financed, and a copy of your title and registration if it's not. And ALWAYS have them with you, along with the "tourista" paperwork you'll get at the border. (Don't ask) :cry
2) Companion who speaks Spanish. Not mandatory, but it sure helps.
3) Respect, and patience, for a culture other than your own. For the first couple of days, you'll wonder how people with so little can be so happy. With any luck, by the third day you'll know.
It's phenomenal there, have a blast.

Back