• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bike Transport from IN to KS

F

From MARS

I have won the bidding on an '02 F650GS that is in Salem, IN. I need to get me to the bike, or the bike to me. I'm in Elmdale, KS. I'm open to catching a ride over or somebody coming this way with a pickup or trailer to haul the bike.

TIA,
Tom

If it were me I'd rent a car one way and ride it back. Plenty of BMW dealers on your route back if you run into problems you can not sort out.

Leave KS at 4pm get to dest about 2am.

sleep until 10 am Sat. Pick up bike by noon.

Ride 250 miles on Saturday, 400 on Sunday.

Easy Peasey

UShip has done good job and cheap

I had a KwikKamp from TX to MI, for $400, A Hack from Fl to MI for $450.
Sure would be cheaper for your haul.

If it were me I'd rent a car one way and ride it back. Plenty of BMW dealers on your route back if you run into problems you can not sort out.

Leave KS at 4pm get to dest about 2am.

sleep until 10 am Sat. Pick up bike by noon.

Ride 250 miles on Saturday, 400 on Sunday.

Easy Peasey

The shipper for my old bike is scheduled to load her on Sat or Sun; so I need to be here.

But, I have most of the details worked out to fly out of KC to Louisville tomorrow afternoon ($200 oneway), pick up the bike tomorrow evening, get a good night's sleep, and head home on Thursday. I'm just waiting for the owner to get back with me about meeting at the airport and making the exchange. He is out having the oil changed and the bike gone over by his mechanic.

The bike has only 3974 miles on it; I can't imagine anybody being able to screw up the bike too badly that quickly. He's a teacher and an old guy like me:); so I gotta believe it'll be fine.

Tom

Well, things didn't go exactly as planned. I didn't get to Louisville until Thurday evening so there was no "good night's sleep" before taking off for home and there was the rain (150 miles of it) last night and this morning across IL that I could have done without since I didn't take the liner for the mesh gear, but the bike ran like a top.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well these bike cruise; 75-80 mph pretty much constantly on the dry roads, and the MO 2-lane's were a blast. The bike is very stable and surprisingly smooth, especially above 5 grand. Aside from the occasional slight surge just under 5000rpm, she didn't miss a beat while covering 700mi in 14hrs.

I think I'm really going to like this bike.

Tom

Your choice of machines is interesting. I have been in a similar spot.

I had a 93 R100GS & a 01 650 Dakar.

I really wanted a 1150 Adventure and one of the bikes had to go as a trade in.

I decided to keep the R100GS, because it is/was the defacto "adventure bike"

I kept the R100GS, but in retrospect I should have kept the 650 Dakar.

I get a lot of crap on here from the airhead guys, but I think the 650 singles are better machines that the airhead GSs.

FWIW I'll add that I bought a XChallenge thinking it would be like a 650 Dakar.....I was wrong!

Hope you continue to enjoy your new machine!

I am continuing to enjoy the bike, thanks.

This bike is better than the PD for me. The 100lb difference in weight and the shorter seat height make a huge difference in my confidence level under low speed conditions. At 5'7" and 145lbs, I found the PD to be quite a lot of bike to hande off-pavement. The 650 has more power with less weight, and yesterday, she proved her capability of going where I like to ride......in the middle of nowhere.

I'm very pleased with my choice.

Tom

Back