• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What the hay is the Hoka Hey?

The Blue Max
Was talking to a rider from the Florida Keys last week in central Alberta; he was a participant in the Hoka Hey rally. He told me since it started the week before, twelve riders had died and dozens injured, about half the riders had already quit. The rally/run is from the Keys up to Homer Alaska; it supposedly is not meant to be an Iron Butt clone altho it certainly seems much the same. There is also a large cash prize available to the winner (survivor?). Anyone have more info on this?

Was talking to a rider from the Florida Keys last week in central Alberta; he was a participant in the Hoka Hey rally. He told me since it started the week before, twelve riders had died and dozens injured, about half the riders had already quit. The rally/run is from the Keys up to Homer Alaska; it supposedly is not meant to be an Iron Butt clone altho it certainly seems much the same. There is also a large cash prize available to the winner (survivor?). Anyone have more info on this?
It took me less than thirty seconds for a Google search to come up with their website.

Hmmm ... human carnage from a Florida-to-Alaska enduro ... entries limited to air-cooled Harleys ... anybody surprised?

The Hookah Hey, What the Hey and the other names we've given this clusterf**k have been discussed on the LD Riders. list.

Considering how much of a scam it was over the last few years we're surprised it started at all.

Looks like the organizer stands to pocket close to 300k.

Considering how it was billed as a race from the start I'm amazed it happened at all and the orgainzer wasn't arrested at the start.

The Hookah Hey, What the Hey and the other names we've given this clusterf**k have been discussed on the LD Riders. list.

Considering how much of a scam it was over the last few years we're surprised it started at all.

Looks like the organizer stands to pocket close to 300k.

Considering how it was billed as a race from the start I'm amazed it happened at all and the orgainzer wasn't arrested at the start.

he will only gross $300K IF he pays out to a Qualified Winner- which is beginning to look less and less likely. in which case, he will gross closer to $800,000. i'm surprised he hasn't already left the country for some extradition-free location south of the equator.

Was not officially titled a race- it was a "Challenge".
i think the reason he limited it to air-cooled Hardleys (not even V-Rods allowed) is because no one else could be so gullible, and so susceptible to to the allure of being modern day "Warriors", off on some near-mythic quest.
Hokey-Hey; it's a good day to get taken to the cleaners.

The buzz in the paper when I was in Homer last week was, there's a lot of suspicion of cheating and such. Some said the checkpoints were mismarked, others said the "winners" could not have made it to Homer in the time they did. One local was quoted in the paper that he buried gas along the way in areas he knew would not be open at late hours. All in all, I think it was a crazy event and a lot of local Homer businesses were depending on the crowd. I hope all the negatives rumors were just that; rumors. It's sad what $$$ can do to an endurance ride.

http://homertribune.com/2010/07/hoka-hey-clouded-by-controversy/

The above is a link to a recent article in the Homer paper. It appears that, at best, this was a naively planned event with some bad consequences. 2 known dead, more possible and several substantial injuries. At worst, and more likely, it is a combo of a scam and stupidity.

As soon as you pick a winner of a 7000 mile event by shortest travel time, you've got a race no matter what you call it. And races should come with appropriate safety precautions that this did not- instead it takes advantage of the gullible.

The sad thing is it could be done in a safe manner with different rules that kept it from being a race.

No doubt the drunks at Sturgis will say a few kind words praising gullible dead. Wonder what their families think.

http://homertribune.com/2010/07/who-won-the-hoka-hey/

Well here's an even newer article quoting a front man for the organizers who basically says the event was actually and fundraiser for a broke Indian tribe instead of the charity (see list on the website) / prize event it was promoted to be.
At least it is consistent with what one of the organizers is reported to have said at the start in Key West.

Remains to be seen whether money gets paid out and to whom. If the prize is paid and any significant money goes to the tribe, the organizers won't make as much as noted earilier in the thread and it would appear the only chance for this thing to make money is if some media group pays $ for the footage allegedly taken during the event though no one has reported anything like production quality video gear in operation - a bunch of home movies aren't going to bring much, if anything.

The entire thing is a scam put on by a convicted felon.

None of the listed charties have ever heard of him until the start of the event.

Etc. Etc.

Plus nobody actually knows how many bikes started.

Etc. Etc.

Last edited:
he will only gross $300K IF he pays out to a Qualified Winner- which is beginning to look less and less likely. in which case, he will gross closer to $800,000. i'm surprised he hasn't already left the country for some extradition-free location south of the equator.

Was not officially titled a race- it was a "Challenge".
i think the reason he limited it to air-cooled Hardleys (not even V-Rods allowed) is because no one else could be so gullible, and so susceptible to to the allure of being modern day "Warriors", off on some near-mythic quest.
Hokey-Hey; it's a good day to get taken to the cleaners.

Nice of you to group a select bunch of motorcycle owners as gullible.
What an unfortunate attitude you have towards those that ride a certain motorcycle type.

It is this type of narrowminded belief that makes some people believe that "all" BMW owners are self rightous & arrogant.

Get off the soapbox and let everyone enjoy what they want to ride without putting a label on them, especially if you have never met them.

Rick

i rode a H-D for quite a number of years.
guess i need to find the "tongue in cheek" smilie, to make the comedy more obvious. sorry you missed it.

that being said, i will still ask the question of "so why do YOU think that this race was presented as it was- a "Warrior Challenge" , and was only open to air-cooled Hardleys?"

(I wanted to give yoa'll the link to the HHC, the Hokah Hey Challenge website has been taken down,. Tthis link gives a real good flavor what was presented http://www.1888pressrelease.com/roa...istoric-challenge-of-endurance-pr-152514.html)

Last edited:
It makes me wonder if all entrants were required to wear t-shirts, sandals, shorts, and one of those little half-eggshell helmets?

It makes me wonder if all entrants were required to wear t-shirts, sandals, shorts, and one of those little half-eggshell helmets?

wrong uniform.
jeans, engineer boots, black t, leather vest, chain drive wallet, doo-rag (flag or skull & crossbones preferred) or half helmet, & assless leather pants is the de riguer fashionstatement for the HHC.
The t, sandals & shorts (with FF helmet, of course), is more for the college aged GSXRYZFCBRR crowd.

love it.. ..

don't forget the obligatory mask...

skull-large-ln.jpg

GSXRYZFCBRR

haven't got a clue.... .

Lew,
Its a string of abbreviations of the common sportbike models from Japanese brands.

I'm too old for those wristbreakers

GSXR = Suzi, YZF = Yammie (R1 or R6), CBR = Honda. Pretty much interchangeable within the "gee, i need the fastest sport bike around, and i have chicken strips that could be served at KFC" crowd.

This ride is insanity at best. Sponsored by Bruce Rossmeyer's company, it is a typical Harley event :scratch .... Bruce Rossmeyer actually died last year during the Sturgis ralley in a crash. I feel bad for his family, but why would they sponsor such a stupid thing???? Some of my Harley riding friends would never think about participating in this idiocy either..

Rossmeyer's did not sponsor it

The used their name without permission, one of many alleged lies told to the riders.

A criminal complaint has already been filed with the FL Attorney General; one is promised in South Dakota; and, I bet there will be multiple tort cases as well; people died as a result of this boondoggle. The folks I know down Homer way are all convinced it was a criminal enterprise that is still being perpetuated. There was a check point here in Fairbanks and no one from the race administration ever showed up.

Back