Thread: voltage at battery?

voltage at battery?

Hi gang. I must be having a senior moment (hour and a half?) I cannot remember what the voltage reading at the battery should be when the engine is turning 2500 to 3000 rpm. I'm trying to get set to leave for the rally and I'm checking the charging system and can't remember what the voltage should be. It's my wifes R100RT. Please help. Thanks. Bruce.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Fully charged batteries are 12.6 to 12.8 volts. When the revs are up, the reading should be at least 14V, assuming you don't have a lot of extras running.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014 And DRAT! Missed the last one in 2015!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

I've heard of very few bikes that actually get over 14v, but I would feel comfortable with 13.6v and above. That might not be enough for city driving or stop-n-go traffic, but if you're cruising down the road with a lot of time between stops, that should be plenty to keep the battery charged. As mentioned, it needs to be that kind of number even with other farkles plugged in.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I wouldn't worry a bit about 13.6V.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014 And DRAT! Missed the last one in 2015!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

voltage at battery

Hi everyone. Thank you so very much for your expedient replies. Question answered, Problem solved. See you in Redmond. Bruce.

rocketman
    When I replaced the mounts for my diode board with the metal ones AND kept the tow grounding wires attached, I'm getting 14.25 at 2500 and above. (used to be 13.75 or so) No other changes other than new connectors on the wire from the diode board to starter/batt.
    Thunderchild seller says their regulator is designed to run that voltage and they "claim" it is the optimal voltage. 2K miles since the replacement and battery takes less time to come back after being put on the tender. Batt. is less than 3 years old and I have the stock regulator.

YMMV.

RM

thanks

This is not something I have been smart enough to check

Lately I have been pulling out my meter every time I would get somewhere to see what my battery voltage is with the engine off.

I find I am able to see around 12V.

I will check soon what the battery voltage is when running at different RPM's to actually see what the charging system is doing.

Thanks again.