• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

voltage at battery?

brucarb

Hi gang. I must be having a senior moment (hour and a half?) I cannot remember what the voltage reading at the battery should be when the engine is turning 2500 to 3000 rpm. I'm trying to get set to leave for the rally and I'm checking the charging system and can't remember what the voltage should be. It's my wifes R100RT. Please help. Thanks. Bruce.

Fully charged batteries are 12.6 to 12.8 volts. When the revs are up, the reading should be at least 14V, assuming you don't have a lot of extras running.

I've heard of very few bikes that actually get over 14v, but I would feel comfortable with 13.6v and above. That might not be enough for city driving or stop-n-go traffic, but if you're cruising down the road with a lot of time between stops, that should be plenty to keep the battery charged. As mentioned, it needs to be that kind of number even with other farkles plugged in.

voltage at battery

Hi everyone. Thank you so very much for your expedient replies. Question answered, Problem solved. See you in Redmond. Bruce.

When I replaced the mounts for my diode board with the metal ones AND kept the tow grounding wires attached, I'm getting 14.25 at 2500 and above. (used to be 13.75 or so) No other changes other than new connectors on the wire from the diode board to starter/batt.
Thunderchild seller says their regulator is designed to run that voltage and they "claim" it is the optimal voltage. 2K miles since the replacement and battery takes less time to come back after being put on the tender. Batt. is less than 3 years old and I have the stock regulator.

YMMV.

RM

thanks

This is not something I have been smart enough to check

Lately I have been pulling out my meter every time I would get somewhere to see what my battery voltage is with the engine off.

I find I am able to see around 12V.

I will check soon what the battery voltage is when running at different RPM's to actually see what the charging system is doing.

Thanks again.

Back