Page 6 of 63 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: Grateful Thread

Quote Originally Posted by snoone
    Great book with some pretty cool insight into the band huh.
    Yup. Me likey.

Lately I have "So Many Roads" stuck in my head (one of the newer Garcia?Hunter songs that Phil mentioned near the end of the book). I love that tune. Do you know it? Some of the lines work for motorcycling:

Thought I heard a blackbird singin'
    up on Bluebird Hill
    Call me a whinin' boy if you will
    Born where the sun don't shine
    and I don't deny my name
    Got no place to go, ain't that a shame?

Thought I heard that KC whistle
    moanin' sweet & low
    Thought I heard that KC when she blow
    Down where the sun don't shine
    Underneath the Kokomo
    Whinin' boy -- got no place else to go

So many roads I tell you
    So many roads I know
    So many roads --
    so many roads --
    Mountain high, river wide
    So many roads to ride
    So many roads
    So many roads

Thought I heard a jug band playin'
    "If you don't -- who else will?"
    from over on the far side of the hill
    All I know the sun don't shine,
    the rain refuse to fall
    and you don't seem to hear me when I call

Wind inside & the wind outside
    Tangled in the window blind
    Tell me why you treat me so unkind
    Down where the sun don't shine
    Lonely and I call your name
    No place left to go, ain't that a shame?

So many roads I tell you
    New York to San Francisco
    All I want is one
    to take me home
    From the high road to the low
    So many roads I know
    So many roads - So many roads

From the land of the midnight sun
    where ice blue roses grow
    'long those roads of gold and silver snow
    Howlin' wide or moanin low
    So many roads I know
    So many roads to ease my soul
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1

SNOONE
    Not to ruffle any karmic feathers , I am a bit of a Dead snob.. I have over 80 complete shows on my computer/ipod/discs and honestly the music I listen to is 1968-1979 with 1977 and 1973 being what I consider the best musical years of the band. Though the Hunter/Barlow/garcia/weir lyrics might be great later on in the 80's and 90's I can't place the tune (so many roads).. I'll have to give it a listen. Maybe It'll open up my ears.

Bottom line is that I could never get into Brett era or the overstated Bob singing and even though Jerry did some great playing, he definately wasnt on top of his game being a junkie for so many of those later shows. Phil on the other hand was always pretty right there musically except for a couple bad moments here and there. Yeah, I know friends tell me to listen to this show or that show and I know there are some great moments but I end up always without fail going back to those older shows

SNOONE
    I just listed to so many roads 10-09-94 from landover md.. That is a great tune.. and honestly I'm ashamed to say I have never heard it before. Maybe its time to start broadening my horizons once again

Well, broadening one's horizons is always a Good Thing, IMHO. Lazy River Road is another good one.

Have said that, I have to agree with much of what you said in your prior post about the later years and having favorite times. Frankly, I look upon anything after 1979 with great suspicion. 1977 was my favorite time for the band although I like a lot of the older stuff and a little of the more recent stuff.

The magic happened less and less often, and for shorter moments when it did happen, in later years. Sad but true. Jerry had a couple of brief ascents to the old spark and energy in the early 90s after health problems forced him to temporarily clean up, but even then it was hit or miss; mostly miss.

The two recorded shows that I go back to the most are 4/27/77 (Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ) that I heard live on the radio and 9/?/77 (Raceway Park, Englishtown, NJ) where I was right up front. If you haven't heard either of these, give them a listen.

SNOONE
    May 5-25 1977 are the string of shows I go back to the most. Try streaming or downloading any of the following soundboards from archive.org 5/5 New Haven, 5/7 Boston Garden, 5/8 Barton Hall, 5/9 War Memorial Buffalo, 5/11 Civic Center St Paul, 5/13 Aud Theater Chicago, 5/15 St Louis, 5/17 U of Alabama, 5/18 Fox Theater Atlanta or 5/25 The Mosque, Richmond Va. All of the above shows are spectacular.

9/3/77 Raceway Park was an outstanding show broadcast on WNEW FM from NYC . I lived in NJ and was at that show as well. I was also at the 4/26/77 (the day before the show you were at) show at the Capitol which was a great show in its own right.
    I was so lucky to be from an area where so many venues were located that the Dead played in. From the 1st show I ever went to at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City to the Capitol Theater Passaic, the Meadowlands, The Garden, Radio City Music Hall, The Spectrum , Capitol Theater Port Chester, Stanley Theater Jersey City and the Nassau Coleseum I can't say that I ever had a bad time. The shows were a state of mind not a musical event
    Last edited by snoone; 05-17-2005 at 07:27 PM.

May 5-25 1977 are the string of shows I go back to the most. Try streaming or downloading any of the following soundboards from archive.org 5/5 New Haven, 5/7 Boston Garden, 5/8 Barton Hall, 5/9 War Memorial Buffalo, 5/11 Civic Center St Paul, 5/13 Aud Theater Chicago, 5/15 St Louis, 5/17 U of Alabama, 5/18 Fox Theater Atlanta or 5/25 The Mosque, Richmond Va. All of the above shows are spectacular.

Oh yeah, I have some of those! Fox is now a Dick's Picks, BTW. I think I was at the New Haven show. I've had the Barton HAll, Fox, and Auditorium Theater shows on cassette forever. Can't recall which others from '77 I have, but Archive.org definitely gets a workout from me.

9/3/77 Raceway Park was an outstanding show broadcast on WNEW FM from NYC . I lived in NJ and was at that show as well. I was also at the 4/26/77 (the day before the show you were at) show at the Capitol which was a great show in its own right.

I wasn't at the 4/27 show, I only heard it (and taped it) on the radio. It was either NEW or LIR, I forget. You know what I wish I could find is a recording of the Marshall Tucker Band from 9/3/77. I thought their set was outstanding. Hey, how about that Eyes of the World form 9/3/77? I still think it is the best.

We'll have to meet up at the MOA national, if you're going.

Bob

SNOONE
    Wish I could go to the national this year, but due to my work schedule its not going to happen, however I have already set aside the time for next year in Burlington VT. Meet you in the Beer tent. I'll be wearing my tye dye.

That works.

BobFV1

Dick's picks 35 is here...

Dick's Picks 35
    Price: $25.00

Dick's Picks 35 is a 4 CD set featuring recently unearthed material from the August 1971 tour. The 8/7 show from San Diego is featured in its entirety, as well as all that could be recovered from the 8/24 show in Chicago, IL. Bonus tracks on disc 4 feature more than an hour of highlights from the 8/6 show at the Palladium in Hollywood, CA. Of course, the CD is mastered in HDCD. For setlist information, please click here.

A Note About Dick's Pick 35: The Legend of the Houseboat Tapes:

Although the Grateful Dead's vault is enormous and impressively full, the band certainly doesn't have a tape of every show it played; in fact, they don't even have a copy of every show they recorded. Tapes drifted off in a variety of ways - including Jerry Garcia handing them out. And therein lies the story of Dick's Picks 35.

This spring, our archivist David Lemieux got a call from Donna Jean Godchaux-Mackay. It seems that in the late summer of 1971, just before Keith Godchaux began rehearsals with the Dead, Garcia handed him a big box of tapes and said, "Here, this is our most recent tour. Learn our music." The irony was that Donna Jean doubts mightily Keith ever bothered to listen to them - he'd never listened to the Dead all that much before he auditioned, first with Garcia and then the rest of the band - he just had an uncanny innate facility for the music. In any case, he left the tapes on his parents' houseboat in Alameda, CA, and there they stayed. For almost 35 years.

In the spring of 2005, Keith's brother Brian and son Zion were cleaning out the houseboat, found the tapes, and gave them to Donna, whose jaw dropped. One call to Lemieux later, and the Dead's long-lost missing tour from the summer of 1971 had resurfaced. Master tapes include April 28 and 29 at the Fillmore East (released as "Ladies and Gentlemen," which was mixed from the multi-track masters), the 7/31 Yale Bowl (alas, the reels were blank), a small piece of the second Hollywood Palladium show, the complete shows from Berkeley Community Theatre 8/14 & 8/15, and others. Dick's Pick #35 is the complete San Diego (8/7/71) show, all that was salvageable of the 8/24 Chicago show, and an hour-plus of the Hollywood Palladium (8/6), which is all that existed on the tapes.

Not a soundboard-recorded note of that tour's music circulates among Dead Heads, so this is a truly remarkable find. How they survived 35 years in a watery environment simply proves, yet once again - if you needed convincing - that God smiles on the Grateful Dead.

SNOONE
    Got the email yesterday. I can't wait to get a listen. Lost tapes , great find. Hope there's more to come.. It's my favorite dead era.

Quote Originally Posted by snoone
    Got the email yesterday. I can't wait to get a listen. Lost tapes , great find. Hope there's more to come.. It's my favorite dead era.
    There's some great stuff from the early 70s on Archive.org that I downloaded. Don't recall the dates offhand, but if you like that period, you have lots of options.

SNOONE
    Thanks, I've been burning and streaming at least a show a day and now have way too much dead music to choose from both on my computer, ipod and stereo. Heaven is nice

BobFV1
    The archive.org stuff is great because it's free and very comprehensive, but I have compared some of the soundboards on .org to the Dick's Picks series and there is no comparison - the mastering that Dick does makes a big difference. But until the whole catalog is remastered by Dick, the .org has some rare classics.

It was just about exactly a year ago that I saw The Dead on their tour through here - sniff, sniff - I miss that show and don't think I'll get a fix this year!

SNOONE
    The archive boards are more like the shows (actual house mixes), loose, uncut, raw, cutting edge, flawed which is what makes them special. Dick (who is no longer among us,http://www.dead.net/hotline_info/NEW...S/dp/dick.html) used to take the best of the best and rehash the mixes to something that they never were. The scope of his work is remarkable to say the least.

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by BobFV1

So post away on your favorite topics which put the Dead and the Beamer in the same thought. Here's mine: If The Dead play Red Rocks this summer like they did last summer, is anyone up for a BMW mini-rally/ride in to the concert? I think that would be a great way to combine two of our favorite pasttimes.
    I'm going to keep riding my Beemer till I'm Dead! (boy that was easy! )

RM