• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Grateful Thread

wow, now we have something to speculate about. Who will be the entertainment.

Warren Haynes
Ratdog
Phil and Friends
Hot Tuna
Bela Fleck
Bruce Hornsby

Warren was here last weekend with the Allman Brothers and MOE.
Rat Dog will be here Labor Day Weekend with Bruce.
I just got tickets for Hot Tuna, here on 12/4.

Josh Ascher, near Albany, NY

snoone said:

Warren Haynes
Ratdog
Phil and Friends
Hot Tuna
Bela Fleck
Bruce Hornsby

Don't forget the Dark Star Orchestra, Dave Torbert, Donna Godchaux...the ghost of Pig Pen...

06 entertainment

snoone said:

Warren Haynes
Ratdog
Phil and Friends
Hot Tuna
Bela Fleck
Bruce Hornsby

I can promise you there will be no bad garage bands playing "Proud Mary" off key. And it won't be Elton either! :D

Michael Friedle
BMW MOA Ambassador
BMW MOA Board of Directors
BMW MOA International Rally Co-Chair 99, 03, 06

I love it when the Grateful Thread comes alive. Sparks enthusiasm and speculation.. Neal Peart are you listening?

snoone said:
I love it when the Grateful Thread comes alive. Sparks enthusiasm and speculation.. Neal Peart are you listening?
no i am not listening Neal Peart

Paul Sibek said:
Blasphemy???

My brother the consumate Dead Head saw the "new Dead" and said that they sounded better- tighter.

What say???

In Deadspeak, better is not tighter. YMMV.

1975-1980 we had a grocery store-deli in Inverness, West Marin County, Northern CA.

Jerry was a customer. He lived in Stinson Beach, about ten miles down the road. Carolyn (if you are a DH, you know her as Mountain Girl) lived separately in Inverness with the kids. She decided to take over a bakery that was floundering in the only other slot in our building. Inverness Park had only two businesses and we shared a roof and back room. Can't talk about the back room.

MG couldn't understand why I wasn't a DH. She thought everyone our age had to be. I told her I liked American Beauty Rose and loved the message. Also loved the unmentionables (that was a fairly long time ago).

One year, she asked me what I had given Beaverslayer (my wife) for Christmas. I don't remember what it was, but I told her. I asked what she gave Jerry. She hemmed and hawed around, and told me that she couldn't say....too many interested Heads. I explained that I really didn't care and that she should "forget it".

She came back the next day, all full of humility and told me. Strange.

Beaverslayer ended up taking over the bakery after the "blush was off the rose", so to speak. In other words, after all the band insiders who had been recruited to work there realized the amount of work you have to do to keep a bakery going. Beaverslayer learned that lesson, too. She enlisted a bunch of band members' wives (mostly the Youngbloods) along the way, all wanting to strut their creative selves.

Sold the bakery and store in 1981. End of an era.

I saw the "New Dead" and I wasn't impressed. On paper I should have liked them because I'm a HUGE fan of Jimmy Herring who was playing lead guitar with that lineup. The problem is, A) although Herring is a monster player, he was being a little too reverent to the Garcia style, and B) Herring just can't match Jerry's charisma. Even when he was just standing there looking at his shoes, there was something about Jerry's presence that just filled the room.

(Although I will say this: Herring proved that there's nothing particularly magic about Jerry's guitar tone. He was able to nail it almost perfectly with a PRS McCarty Soapbar and Fender Twin Reverb. All of the stuff about Jerry's Irwin guitars and the rack of gear and the Macintosh power amps - meh.)

I think you would have enjoyed Warren Haynes's addition to the band last summer.. He remained somewhat faithful to the licks but definately changed the tone and temper of the music.. I thought that tour was outstanding.. I agree with the jimmy herring comment.

snoone said:
I think you would have enjoyed Warren Haynes's addition to the band last summer.. He remained somewhat faithful to the licks but definately changed the tone and temper of the music.. I thought that tour was outstanding.. I agree with the jimmy herring comment.

Yeah, I mean, have you heard Herring with Jazz is Dead? There's a completely different tone (I think he uses a Strat and Marshall for that), and a completely different take on the music. I would like to have heard a little of that sound kicking Bobby's ass!

I'm not a huge fan of Warren Haynes (dunno why - just never got into him), but maybe I'll see if I can find a download of one of those shows.

When Jerry departed, he took a lot of The Magic with him. Sad but true. Phil still has magic, but can't do it all alone. Jimmy never does, although his playing is quite good. Warren, on the other hand, is sometimes (albeit rarely) able to dip into the well on a solo and take us to The Place. Not for very long, but just briefly.

Emoto said:
Jimmy never does, although his playing is quite good.

Maybe not with The Dead. With his own projects, he's amazing, though. If you're planning to be at Heath, find me, and I'll fire some up on my iPod for you.

Hey - I'm in Hong Kong on business and listened to parts of last Summer's Dead concerts pretty much the whole way over here. I think Warren turns the Dead into a group that can be very evocative of the old Allman Bros on one riff, then on the next one right back to a sterile yet accurate and evocative Jerry riff.

On my way up to Shanghai this week - must keep rocking on... charging up my "Dead-pod" now!

Good as he is, Warren Haynes is no Duane Allman. Jerry and Duane were alot alike in that their styles are singularly unique and playing was other-worldly.

BobFV1 said:
Hey - I'm in Hong Kong on business and listened to parts of last Summer's Dead concerts pretty much the whole way over here. I think Warren turns the Dead into a group that can be very evocative of the old Allman Bros on one riff, then on the next one right back to a sterile yet accurate and evocative Jerry riff.

On my way up to Shanghai this week - must keep rocking on... charging up my "Dead-pod" now!

grab some dumplings on government row when in Shanghai. I love that city, and wish I could get back soon.

Back