Page 55 of 63 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Grateful Thread

Good to see so many deadheads on here.

Add me to the list! Saw several shows but my last was with Jerry in '95 in St Louis. I'm with the crowd that just stopped after he passed. Love the Sirius XM Grateful Dead channel though.

Was curious if anyone has read Bill Kreutzmann's book.

Quote Originally Posted by labbats View Post
    Good to see so many deadheads on here.

Add me to the list! Saw several shows but my last was with Jerry in '95 in St Louis. I'm with the crowd that just stopped after he passed. Love the Sirius XM Grateful Dead channel though.

Was curious if anyone has read Bill Kreutzmann's book.
    I started reading Bill's book a couple weeks ago. It's amazing he's got any brain cells left to recall some of the older stories! Authorship goes to "Bill Kreutzmann with Benjy Eisen" but it doesn't seem like Benjy edited the book much. The book is definitely in Bill's voice. Imagine sitting with Bill at a bar and, over many beers, having him tell you stories about the Dead over the past 50 years. That's what the book is like. Lots of great stories, kind of jumping back and forth with transitions like "Well, anyway moving on..." or "I'm not sure of the dates but...". Fun book to read in bits and pieces.

I'm going to all five of the Fare Thee Well shows. Anyone going to Santa Clara and/or Chicago?
    Marty Takimoto
    1999 R1100R, 2012 R1200GS
    BMWMOA #107071, IBA #44006

Quote Originally Posted by calnalu View Post
    I'm going to all five of the Fare Thee Well shows. Anyone going to Santa Clara and/or Chicago?
    Good for you Marty!

Timing and cost and the random GDTS Ticket Lottery procedures made it not possible for me.

It will be a rockin' time for sure.
    Bob Smith
    1998 R1200C
    2005 Rocket III

I'm sure there will be bootleg recordings popping up right after the shows. I will be interested in hearing what the attendees (like Marty) think was the hot show(s). I will get copies of whatever I can and share them with you guys somehow, if you like. (assuming they were taped legally, yadda, yadda)
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1

Any reports from in person attendance yet?

I bought the pay per view for the 3 July show and thought it was pretty good. Phil was having a great time and Bobby sounded the best I've heard him in several years. Bill and Mickey were hot, and Bruce and Jeff held things together nicely. This was the first time I had seen Trey play, and he is a very talented musician. Seemed like he found his comfort zone in the second set, and had some very tasty solo efforts throughout the show.

Well done boys!

Check out dead.net for several different advance purchase options of the shows. I will try to watch the 5 July show and decide whether or not to by the CD/DVD recording, which will be released in November.
    Bob Smith
    1998 R1200C
    2005 Rocket III

Thumbs up Remembering Jerry

I didn't get the pay-for-view of the shows. Better-Half had other plans, so I just remembered my Dead adventures. Wore my Jerry '95 t-shirt to the 4th of July celebration at the county courthouse. Lots of folks responded to my shirt, and I realized how many people will miss the Dead. A buddy of mine has a mobile recording outfit in Chicago, and is recording 3 nights of Dead associates with a Dead related band called Terrapin Flyer. Each night they have a guest artist who played with the Dead or solo projects. Friday had Melvin Seals who played organ on the Jerry Garcia Band. Saturday was Rob Barraco who played keys in the non-Jerry version of the Dead. Sunday it's Mark Karan who was in Ratdog with Wier.
    It's gonna be three long nights! I wish I could help him out this weekend. Rock on folks!
    Onward, through the fog!

It's live on Sirius XM if you have that.

Always liked Trey and saw Phish live way back in 1993. Very talented musicians but a bit too silly for me. I do think he is adding to the mix very well in these shows. I was a skeptic but after listening I think I should have gone. Never felt the vibe from Ratdog or any of the spinoffs... somehow this feels different.

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Saw Trey with Phish at Red Rocks a few years ago. A great concert in a beautiful venue. Haven't seen the Dead since the 70's. What memories!

Ready for the final show!

Fare Thee Well.jpg
    Bob Smith
    1998 R1200C
    2005 Rocket III

Quote Originally Posted by bobs98 View Post
    Ready for the final show!

Fare Thee Well.jpg
    How was it, Bob?

Hi Bob,

I enjoyed both the 3 and 5 July shows very much. They had their moments of drifting along and fizzling into the next song, but overall I thought the energy was good and the playing was pretty good. Not the Good Old Grateful Dead of 25 or more years ago, but they ARE 25 years older now too. A very worthwhile send off and finale to a monumental career, and the crowd was into it.

My notes on set lists:

3 July

First set: 1 hour
    Box of Rain
    Jack Straw
    Bertha
    Passenger
    Wheel
    Crazy Fingers
    Music Never Stopped

Second set: 2 hours
    Mason's Children
    Scarlet Begonias
    Fire on the Mountain
    Drums - Space
    Cryptical Envelopment
    Playin in the Band - Jam
    Let it Grow
    Help on the Way
    Slipknot
    Franklin's Tower

Encore - Ripple

5 July

First set:1 hour, 20 minutes
    China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider
    Estimated Prophet
    Built to Last
    Samson and Delilah
    Mountains of the Moon
    Throwin Stones

Second set: 2 hours
    Truckin
    Cassidy
    Althea
    Terrapin Station
    Drums - Space
    Unbroken Chain - Jam
    Days Between
    Not Fade Away
    Touch of Grey

Encore - Attics of My Life

There were several chilling moments, and a great photo tribute during Attics that had the crowd cheering over the playing.

I'll have to let it sink in a bit before I decide whether or not to buy the last show on CD and DVD combo.
    Bob Smith
    1998 R1200C
    2005 Rocket III

Was at all three shows, most enjoyable was watching my 12 year old! Its not the end just the beginning, a crossroad, me seeing over 75 shows a little closure from jerry leaving us in 95, to the start of a youngsters carrying on the tradition!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    95 R100Rt, 07 650 GS
    Mike
    Eagle, wi
    "He's gone and nothin gone bring him back"

the lights
    95 R100Rt, 07 650 GS
    Mike
    Eagle, wi

my son Ben, with his ticket to the last show
    95 R100Rt, 07 650 GS
    Mike
    Eagle, wi

Sounds like you guys all had a great time! So glad to hear it. I have managed to find a recording of the 7/3 show from an FM source in a lossless format (flac). So far, I have only found audience recordings of the other days, so am holding off to see what else shows up.

Any of you who want the 7/3 file set. PM or email me with a location online I can upload the file set to.