Page 52 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 ... LastLast

Thread: Grateful Thread

Thanks for the info Mitch.

Looking forward to seeing you and Bob (and everyone else) at Hunter!

Jon- You continue to surprise me.
    Bob Smith
    1998 R1200C
    2005 Rocket III

SNOONE
    Can't wait to see Phil Lesh, Bob Weir, Joe Russo, Jay Lane, Jeff Chimenti and John Kadlecik on Tues at the Hammerstein Ballroom a couple hundred yards away from my office.. Anybody else have tix to any of the shows....
    Attached Images Attached Images

I haven't been motivated to get tix. I have heard some of their stuff and it sounds pretty good. I dunno, if someone had an extra ticket I might go, but it is enough of a hassle seeing a show anymore, that I'll probably let it slide...
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1

SNOONE
    Quote Originally Posted by snoone View Post
    Can't wait to see Phil Lesh, Bob Weir, Joe Russo, Jay Lane, Jeff Chimenti and John Kadlecik on Tues at the Hammerstein Ballroom a couple hundred yards away from my office.. Anybody else have tix to any of the shows....
    So here's my short review of the show....New Jerry is a bad jerry copycat.. At least when Warren Haynes plays with the band, he brings some original new and unique qualities to the mix with new arrangements and his own stuff. They played no new music.. The band misses Billy and Mickey. Bob's voice is shot. The band thought they were so on!

If you have any mediocre dead shows from the 70's or early 80's, any of those shows, doesn't matter which one, make what I heard the other night sound like amateur hour..

The crowd and others I went with continue to make excuses for lackluster / slow starts /performances by our former musical heroes... I think I will be going no Further with them... Monkee's reunion anyone!!!

So here's my short review of the show....New Jerry is a bad jerry copycat.. At least when Warren Haynes plays with the band, he brings some original new and unique qualities to the mix with new arrangements and his own stuff. They played no new music.. The band misses Billy and Mickey. Bob's voice is shot. The band thought they were so on!

If you have any mediocre dead shows from the 70's or early 80's, any of those shows, doesn't matter which one, make what I heard the other night sound like amateur hour..

The crowd and others I went with continue to make excuses for lackluster / slow starts /performances by our former musical heroes... I think I will be going no Further with them... Monkee's reunion anyone!!!
    Bummer, dude.

Maybe it was just an off night?

The bass player in a local dead tribute band might have an extra to a show if his girlfriend bails. If that happens, I told him I would buy her ticket from him. If that happens, I'll get to see them. Otherwise, meh...

I have virtually no emotional expectations about this new band. Jerry's gone...

hearing echoes of the dead LIVE might be gone

I've seen Dark Star Orchestra with John Kadlecik about 15 times or so, the most memorable shows were at the Mishawaka Amphitheatre just west of Fort Collins, an outside venue on the shores of the Cache la Poudre River. Same place I have seen Bobby twice now. I sincerely hope Bobby's voice comes back, I hope he hooks up with the midnights more and more, cause I'll go see him anytime I can.

John Kadlecik is not Jerry, and in fact, Dark Star is not the Dead. When Kadlecik played with Dark Star, it was so cool that they took the time to play the songs from shows 25 years ago in the same order as the original show; it showed reverence to the Dead. Although not the same, no one pretended it was the Dead; you just accepted them for who they were, and enjoyed hearing mostly GREAT renditions of the original music. The only "not so cool" show I heard was last summer in Steamboat Springs; an acoustic show, a break in tradition from playing a show orchestra style as it had been done previously by the one and only Grateful Dead. I didnt enjoy it nearly as much as other shows.

Now John Kadlecik has been asked to fill the shoes of the one person he has looked up to for the years and years during his performances with Dark Star; and I think it is a mistake. Dark Star has had its head cut off when John left, and will never be the same. Further has a pretender whom I am sure is not comfortable in his role of a pretend Jerry.

I thought about getting Further tickets this year for Chicago, then at the last moment, decided not to go. Dontknow, something about the mix, no Mickey Hart, no Bill Kreutzmann, and Kadlecik has been thrust into a role he can never live up to; whatta they going to do, cut off his finger and have him grow a beard? I opted out of that idea. Not sure I want to see Dark star with Donna G.'s Lead guitar either. Maybe my days of hearing echoes of the dead LIVE are over. Stick to my recordings from now on.

Thanks for the review Snoone. Confirmed my suspicions. Hopefully Kadlecik
    returns to his roots, to a band that he started, a band who laid reverence to the music of the dead, the timing of the dead, the mirror of the decade, mirror of the year, the season and the place where the magic of the Dead happened so may years before.

Part of the problem with Furthur (if there is one) may be that Billy and Mickey are not there.

IMHO, when Bobby, Billy, Mickey, and Phil click, they make BIG RHYTHM that nobody can match, and THAT is what Jerry played over...

SNOONE

Way too much time on my hands! It's been a cold winter

This is a little obsessive to say the least but I've been putting together a little project. Part 1 is done.... Part 1 is a collection of soundboard recordings except for 1 which is an audience recording, of every single Dark Star performed between the years 1968-1971. That would be, by my calculations 107 separate distinctively different performances. Dark Star is by far my favorite music to get lost to whether riding or fishin..

I've converted to mp4's and the files are 1.59 gigs... If anyone is interested I'll post it and send you a link... Send me a PM.. It wouldn't be fun collecting, if now I couldn't share it..Or if you want a particular Dark Star , that would be ok as well. Let me know..

Part 2 is a work in progress covering the years 72-74 and will be done shortly consisting of 122 versions. After 1974 it only appeared on odd occasions in 1978, 1979, 1981 and 1984 before making a comeback in October 1989. It was then played about 25 times through the 1990s the last performance being in March 1994.

BobFV1

This is a little obsessive to say the least but I've been putting together a little project. Part 1 is done.... Part 1 is a collection of soundboard recordings except for 1 which is an audience recording, of every single Dark Star performed between the years 1968-1971. That would be, by my calculations 107 separate distinctively different performances. Dark Star is by far my favorite music to get lost to whether riding or fishin..

I've converted to mp4's and the files are 1.59 gigs... If anyone is interested I'll post it and send you a link... Send me a PM.. It wouldn't be fun collecting, if now I couldn't share it..Or if you want a particular Dark Star , that would be ok as well. Let me know..

Part 2 is a work in progress covering the years 72-74 and will be done shortly consisting of 122 versions. After 1974 it only appeared on odd occasions in 1978, 1979, 1981 and 1984 before making a comeback in October 1989. It was then played about 25 times through the 1990s the last performance being in March 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by BobFV1 View Post
    +
    Bob Smith
    1998 R1200C
    2005 Rocket III

BobFV1
    "Go To Heaven" was released on this date in 1980.

SNOONE
    "Go To Heaven" was released on this date in 1980.
    The boys looked dapper in those white polyester suits!

BobFV1
    The boys looked dapper in those white polyester suits!
    - that they did! I remember their appearance on SNL promoting the album - Bobby sang "Saint of Circumstance" - I think they were trying to go a little mainstream with the suits and the slick production and the Hollywood promotion.

The album always makes me think of Jerry now, up there looking down from somewhere, maybe wearing a white linen suit.

- that they did! I remember their appearance on SNL promoting the album - Bobby sang "Saint of Circumstance" - I think they were trying to go a little mainstream with the suits and the slick production and the Hollywood promotion.

The album always makes me think of Jerry now, up there looking down from somewhere, maybe wearing a white linen suit.
    I remember that appearance. I think my favorite TV appearance was when they were on Tomorrow (Tom Snyder) and jammed out Cassidy.