Thread: Grateful Thread

SNOONE

Review of Wall of Sound : Road Trips by Blair Jackson

Road Trips Volume 2 Number 3

Shows
    Des Moines, IA - June 16, 1974
    Louisville, KY - June 18, 1974

June 1974: Wall of Sound

Can it really be more than 35 years since the Grateful Dead unveiled one of their most audacious (and successful!) experiments—the legendary Wall of Sound? Why, it seems like only yesterday that I was cowering in fear worrying that one of Phil’s bass bombs was going to topple the impressive array of speaker towers that sprawled across the Dead’s enormous stage and rose to a height of more than two stories! What a sight—no one had ever seen anything remotely like it before (or since). What a sound—there had never been a cleaner and or more powerful system. At its peak, it was comprised of nearly 650 loudspeakers powered by 50 giant McIntosh amplifiers, and unlike traditional left-right P.A. systems, this behemoth gave each instrument its own vertical array, and vocals emanated mostly from a center honeycomb cluster above the band. Wow! It was an amazing thing to behold (and a mutha to transport and set up)!

And it just happened to coincide with one of the band’s most fertile musical periods ever, which is why we’ve dipped into the Wall of Sound era for our latest Road Trips release. Talk about your “strangest of places”: These back to back shows from the State Fairgrounds in Des Moines, Iowa (6/16/74), and Freedom Hall in Louisville, Kentucky (6/18/74), have long been cherished by Dead Heads for their inventiveness, expansiveness and brilliance of execution. The Des Moines material includes a classic ’74-style “China Cat-Rider,” a spectacular “Eyes of the World” and a marvelously exploratory “Playing in the Band” that clocks in at a mind-bending, never-a-dull-moment 29 minutes! Disc Two comes from the Kentucky show, and it’s another prime batch, from beautiful readings of the poignant Garcia ballads “China Doll” and “Stella Blue,” to Weir’s multi-dimensional “Weather Report Suite”—a highlight of so many shows in this period—and a freewheeling “Other One,” and a jam around the blues tune “It’s A Sin,” a sequence considered by many to be among the finest and most highly-regarded jams in the band's entire career. Check it out and you’ll hear why!

The ultra-clean soundboard master tapes were “crispy” reels (that’s good), and they sound even better now that mastering ace Jeffrey Norman has sprinkled his electronic fairy dust on them and brought them up to HDCD specs. The colorful booklet insert features a cool essay about the Wall of Sound by Grateful Dead historian Dennis McNally and lots of great photos of the band dwarfed by the majestic edifice!

By the end of 1974, the band had begun its 20-month hiatus, and the Wall of Sound—so magnificent, but so impractical on so many levels—was never re-assembled. But it was glorious while it lasted and the incredible music that came blasting out of those hundreds of speakers is the reason why.

—Blair Jackson

Track List
    Disc 1
    Recorded live at State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA, 6/16/74

1. China Cat Sunflower>
    2. I Know You Rider
    3. The Race Is On
    4. Eyes Of The World>
    5. Big River
    6. U.S. Blues
    7. Playing In The Band

Disc 2
    Recorded live at Freedom Hall, Louisville, KY, 6/18/74

1. Loose Lucy
    2. Eyes Of The World>
    3. China Doll
    4. Weather Report Suite>
    5. Jam>
    6. Other One>
    7. It's A Sin Jam>
    8. Stella Blue

If anyone on the thread wants to listen to this plus the bonus disc i am willing to share. PM me your email address and I'll send you a link
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by snoone View Post
    Road Trips Volume 2 Number 3

Shows
    Des Moines, IA - June 16, 1974
    Louisville, KY - June 18, 1974

June 1974: Wall of Sound

Can it really be more than 35 years since the Grateful Dead unveiled one of their most audacious (and successful!) experiments‘«Ųthe legendary Wall of Sound? Why, it seems like only yesterday that I was cowering in fear worrying that one of Phil‘«÷s bass bombs was going to topple the impressive array of speaker towers that sprawled across the Dead‘«÷s enormous stage and rose to a height of more than two stories! What a sight‘«Ųno one had ever seen anything remotely like it before (or since). What a sound‘«Ųthere had never been a cleaner and or more powerful system. At its peak, it was comprised of nearly 650 loudspeakers powered by 50 giant McIntosh amplifiers, and unlike traditional left-right P.A. systems, this behemoth gave each instrument its own vertical array, and vocals emanated mostly from a center honeycomb cluster above the band. Wow! It was an amazing thing to behold (and a mutha to transport and set up)!

And it just happened to coincide with one of the band‘«÷s most fertile musical periods ever, which is why we‘«÷ve dipped into the Wall of Sound era for our latest Road Trips release. Talk about your ‘«£strangest of places‘«ō: These back to back shows from the State Fairgrounds in Des Moines, Iowa (6/16/74), and Freedom Hall in Louisville, Kentucky (6/18/74), have long been cherished by Dead Heads for their inventiveness, expansiveness and brilliance of execution. The Des Moines material includes a classic ‘«÷74-style ‘«£China Cat-Rider,‘«ō a spectacular ‘«£Eyes of the World‘«ō and a marvelously exploratory ‘«£Playing in the Band‘«ō that clocks in at a mind-bending, never-a-dull-moment 29 minutes! Disc Two comes from the Kentucky show, and it‘«÷s another prime batch, from beautiful readings of the poignant Garcia ballads ‘«£China Doll‘«ō and ‘«£Stella Blue,‘«ō to Weir‘«÷s multi-dimensional ‘«£Weather Report Suite‘«ō‘«Ųa highlight of so many shows in this period‘«Ųand a freewheeling ‘«£Other One,‘«ō and a jam around the blues tune ‘«£It‘«÷s A Sin,‘«ō a sequence considered by many to be among the finest and most highly-regarded jams in the band's entire career. Check it out and you‘«÷ll hear why!

The ultra-clean soundboard master tapes were ‘«£crispy‘«ō reels (that‘«÷s good), and they sound even better now that mastering ace Jeffrey Norman has sprinkled his electronic fairy dust on them and brought them up to HDCD specs. The colorful booklet insert features a cool essay about the Wall of Sound by Grateful Dead historian Dennis McNally and lots of great photos of the band dwarfed by the majestic edifice!

By the end of 1974, the band had begun its 20-month hiatus, and the Wall of Sound‘«Ųso magnificent, but so impractical on so many levels‘«Ųwas never re-assembled. But it was glorious while it lasted and the incredible music that came blasting out of those hundreds of speakers is the reason why.

‘«ŲBlair Jackson

Track List
    Disc 1
    Recorded live at State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA, 6/16/74

1. China Cat Sunflower>
    2. I Know You Rider
    3. The Race Is On
    4. Eyes Of The World>
    5. Big River
    6. U.S. Blues
    7. Playing In The Band

Disc 2
    Recorded live at Freedom Hall, Louisville, KY, 6/18/74

1. Loose Lucy
    2. Eyes Of The World>
    3. China Doll
    4. Weather Report Suite>
    5. Jam>
    6. Other One>
    7. It's A Sin Jam>
    8. Stella Blue

If anyone on the thread wants to listen to this plus the bonus disc i am willing to share. PM me your email address and I'll send you a link

:

China Cat Rocking me out here!

Thank you Snoone!

SNOONE
    The Dead always came through New Jersey/New York during their summer tours around this time.. One of my first Dead shows 1971 was at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City, NJ,

Considered the best minor league baseball park of the time, Roosevelt Stadium was constructed of steel and concrete and featured marble from Pennsylvania and Tennessee. The Art Deco bowl-shaped stadium was surrounded by a concrete wall with a terra cotta facade. Terrazzo flooring covered most of the facility. The grandstand consisted of terraced seating of 35 rows and bleachers, and multiple ramps gave easy access to the seats.. The roof rose sixty feet from the ground.

Of all of the events held at Roosevelt Stadium, the most historic was undoubtedly the debut of Jackie Robinson of the Brooklyn Dodgers on April 18, 1946. The 27-year old Robinson broke the "color line" in professional baseball when he stepped into the batter's box, his first game in organized baseball. Brooklyn Dodger president Branch Rickey had signed up Robinson six months earlier amidst much controversy. A college football and track star, Robinson had played one season with the Kansas City Monarchs of the National Negro League. Rickey sent Robinson to the Dodgers' Montreal team, the Royals, where he played second base.

On what was to be a landmark day in American social history, the stadium, which was the home of the Giants of the International League, had an overflow crowd. The sale of 52,000 tickets, double the park's capacity, brought spectators from New York City via the Hudson Tubes, from Philadelphia, Baltimore, and elsewhere. Mayor Hague closed schools and required city employees to purchase tickets for Opening Day of the baseball season. More African Americans than usual were in attendance at the game. Hague threw out the first ball.

In his five trips to the plate, Robinson made four hits, including a three-run homer, scored four times, and drove in three runs; he also stole two bases in the Royals 14-1 victory over the Jersey City Giants. The press reported that Robinson was booed after he was introduced at the stadium. The Giants were the home team with an avid following but were not regarded as the better team.

In 1947 Jackie Robinson began his career in major league baseball with the Brooklyn Dodgers for whom he played second base until his retirement in 1956. He was the first black baseball player inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1962 and in 2005 was posthumously awarded the Congressional Gold Medal.

Sports fans recall other noteworthy events at the Roosevelt Stadium: In 1940, Max Baer beat "Two Ton" Tony Galento in a heavyweight bout, and Mickey Vernon of Jersey City played for the Giants; in 1950, Sugar Ray Robinson defended his welterweight title; in 1951, Jersey Joe Walcott beat heavyweight champion Ezzard Charles. On September 21, 1948, European champion Marcel Cerdan of France defeated Tony Zale for the world middleweight crown in one of the Tournament of Champions bouts at the stadium. In the film La Vie En Rose (2007) by Olivier Dahan, Cerdan's romantic relationship with French chanteuse Edith Piaf is portrayed. Piaf is shown praying to St. Therese de Lisieux for the pugilist ringside, as was claimed she did whether present or not at his fights, when Cerdan overcomes Zale in the twelfth round.

The Brooklyn Dodgers played seven games at the stadium in 1956 and 1957. They were hoping to convince the authorities in Brooklyn to replace Ebbets Field before choosing to move to Los Angeles, California, in 1958. Many remember when Willie Mays of the New York Giants hit the only ball out of the stadium to beat the Dodgers 1-0 in 1956. It was also the venue for many exhibition games and football organizations, such as the Atlantic Coast Football League, the old American Football League, the Jersey Jays (1963-1964), the New York Giants football team training camp (1966), and the Jersey City Jets (1970-1971).

The stadium was an interesting and historical place to see a show.. Anyway we had fond memories of Jerry's birthday shows at Historic Roosevelt Stadium which always happened this coming weekend during the summers of my youth.. Happy birthday Jerry, August 1st

SNOONE
    I've decided that each month I'm gonna offer something to share.. So this month it's:

Crazy Horse - Scratchy: The Complete Reprise Recordings

Let me know if you are interested with a PM and your email address and I will send you a link.

With their 1971 self-titled debut, Crazy Horse offered a tough, soulful alternative to the mellow, self-satisfied brand of country-rock that had settled over American music at the dawn of the decade. The band's lineup on Crazy Horse-lead singer-guitarist Danny Whitten, bassist Billy Talbot, drummer Ralph Molina, producer-keyboardist Jack Nitzsche, and singer-guitarist Nils Lofgren-never recorded together again. But with Talbot and Molina at the core, Crazy Horse continued to be known as Neil Young's favorite backing band, occasionally making records on their own.

The history of Crazy Horse begins in 1962, when Talbot and Whitten, both fans of vocal harmony groups, met in Los Angeles. They soon added singers Ralph Molina and Ben "Dino" Rocco and became Danny & The Memories, landing a deal with Valiant Records. After moving to San Francisco and re-christening themselves the Psyrcle, Whitten, Talbot, and Molina discovered The Byrds and returned south to form a guitar-driven rock band. With the addition of George and Leon Whitsell (guitars) and Bobby Notkoff (violin), the quintet became The Rockets. Neil Young soon became a fan and in 1969 asked Whitten, Talbot, and Molina to be his backing band. Their new name, Crazy Horse, first appeared on Young's groundbreaking album from that year, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere.

For their solo debut, Crazy Horse wanted to sand down some of the rough edges that characterized their work with Young. "With Neil, our sound is very rustic," says Talbot in the liner notes to this release. "It's thrown up like a log cabin that still has bark on it, and that's great. But Danny and Ralph and I had our own thing, and it wasn't exactly the way we were with Neil. It wasn't just three-chords, bashing-away Crazy Horse."

Crazy Horse, though critically celebrated to this day, wasn't much of a commercial success. Whitten was too compromised by heroin addiction to tour and was forced to leave the band shortly after the release of the record (his overdose death in late 1972 set the tone for Neil Young's ragged masterpiece Tonight's The Night, recorded in 1973 and released two years later). George Whitsell from The Rockets, along with singer-guitarist Greg Leroy and singer-keyboardist John Blanton joined, and the new lineup cut the country-leaning follow-up, 1972's Loose, with engineer Fred Catero. Yet another lineup recorded 1973's At Crooked Lake for Epic.

Disc one of this two-CD Rhino Handmade collection contains remastered versions of Crazy Horse and Loose in their entirety. Disc two includes previously unreleased tracks from the Crazy Horse sessions, as well as a previously unreleased version of Neil Young's "When You Dance You Can Really Love," a 1971 radio spot, and the A- and B-sides of the Danny & The Memories single "Can't Help Loving That Girl," released in 1962 on the Valiant label.

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Caught Phish at The Gorge Amphitheater last Friday and Saturday nights.

http://dvandkq.net/Gorge.htm

Damn those boys can play! The reviewer on Jambase said the Saturday night show was the best he's ever seen - anywhere, ever. I'm so glad Phish is back, has a new album, and appears to be back on the stage for the foreseeable future.

Wish I could afford the money and vacation time to make it to Festival 8 over Halloween in Palm Springs, CA.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

SNOONE
    Going to see Porcupine Tree in NY on Weds.. For those of you who never heard of them.. my brother the Philadelphia Lawyer turned me on about 2 years ago.. They have 16 cd's out, the first one from 1991.. Of all the new music out there (any music not considered Jam bands) Porcupine Tree is my favorite band... Take a look and listen at www.porcupinetree.com

Going to see Porcupine Tree in NY on Weds.. For those of you who never heard of them.. my brother the Philadelphia Lawyer turned me on about 2 years ago.. They have 16 cd's out, the first one from 1991.. Of all the new music out there (any music not considered Jam bands) Porcupine Tree is my favorite band... Take a look and listen at www.porcupinetree.com
    I'm getting stranger by the minute...

Will definitely be at this show. See ya there, Mitch!

SNOONE
    Now for some dead news.. this awesome set is coming out.

Winterland June 1977: The Complete Recordings

The Shows
    June 7, 1977
    June 8, 1977
    June 9, 1977

Boxed and Ready to Go!

Sound the imperial trumpets! Bang the drum! Pop that champagne! Another Grateful Dead box set is comin‘«÷ your way! Yes, in the grand tradition of the beloved Fillmore West 1969 and Winterland 1973 boxes, comes Winterland June 1977: The Complete Recordings, a 9-CD box set that is sure to knock your tie-dyed socks off.

At this point, we probably don‘«÷t need to hype you on the glories of ‘«÷77 Dead. It was a magical time for the band, which was reinvigorated by a plethora of great new material‘«Ų‘«£Terrapin,‘«ō ‘«£Estimated Prophet,‘«ō ‘«£Passenger,‘«ō ‘«£Fire on the Mountain‘«ō‘«Ųand really hitting its stride again following the October ‘«÷74 to June ‘«÷76 performing hiatus. The group spent much of the first three months of 1977 recording their Terrapin Station album with producer Keith Olsen, and Garcia also managed to find time to complete the much-anticipated Grateful Dead movie (which opened June 1, 1977). The third week of April, the band embarked on what most Dead Heads agree was one of the greatest tours ever: 26 concerts in the East and Midwest in a little over a month‘«Ųan awesome stretch that produced so many great shows, a few of them already released in the Dick‘«÷s Picks series and subsequently (and more, no doubt, destined to come out down the road.)

So when the Dead returned to San Francisco‘«÷s Winterland for shows on June 7, 8, 9, they were pumped up and feeling good! They treated their hometown fans to three superb concerts that included excellent versions of much of their current repertoire, from the new combo of ‘«£Scarlet Begonias‘«ō > ‘«£Fire on the Mountain,‘«ō to a truly colossal, more than 30-minute ‘«£Help on the Way‘«ō > ‘«£Slipknot!‘«ō > ‘«£Franklin‘«÷s Tower,‘«ō ‘«£Saint Stephen,‘«ō ‘«£Terrapin,‘«ō ‘«£Good Lovin‘«÷,‘«ō ‘«£Not Fade Away,‘«ō ‘«£The Other One‘«ō‘«™ too many favorites to mention (you can see the complete song lists here). Winterland June 1977: The Complete Recordings contains every note recorded from the three shows, more than nine hours of prime Dead, all taken from the master analog tapes, restored using the Plangent Processes, and mastered in HDCD by that inimitable sonic tweakster, Jeffrey Norman.

The nine discs are packaged in a beautifully designed box that includes artwork by Emek (you loved his crazy Winterland ‘«÷73 phantasmagoria); a 28-page booklet featuring a wonderful and illuminating new essay by Rolling Stone senior music editor David Fricke (who dubs this a ‘«£box of paradise and circus‘«™ six complete sets of inspired risk and collective explosion‘«ō); lots of great Winterland action shots by noted GD shutterbugs Ed Perlstein and Bruce Polonsky; and a couple of little pieces of period memorabilia we won‘«÷t reveal here.

As if nine discs isn‘«÷t enough, we are also once again sweetening the deal by adding a limited edition Bonus Disc for folks who order promptly from dead.net. This is a hot one: 78 minutes lovingly selected from the rare, never-circulated 5/12/77 show at Chicago‘«÷s beautiful Auditorium Theater! Among the treasures on this disc are a few tunes not on the Winterland June 1977 box, including ‘«£Dancing in the Street,‘«ō ‘«£Playing in the Band‘«ō (with reprise!) and ‘«£Comes A Time.‘«ō

So why wait? Order your copy of the Box‘«÷n‘«÷Bonus today by clicking here. We know you‘«÷re gonna dig it! And rest assured, there‘«÷s plenty more where this came from: We know you love the box sets; well, we do, too!

Those are great shows! I had grabbed them from a BT site before they became official releases and therefore off limits.

Bob

P.S. Who will be at Color in the Catskills?
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1

SNOONE
    Hey Bob, long time!!! I'll be at Colors in the Catskills, probably get there early Saturday morning, camping .. Michael has lined up some great music.. I have all 3 shows as well, but if I can I'll do the upgrade. The official releases are usually always better quality.

Hey Bob, long time!!! I'll be at Colors in the Catskills, probably get there early Saturday morning, camping .. Michael has lined up some great music.. I have all 3 shows as well, but if I can I'll do the upgrade. The official releases are usually always better quality.
    There's camping this year??? I was thinking of taking a room at the lodge.

Looking forward to seeing you!

Yes, the official releases are usually better. I might pick it up.

SNOONE

camping link

https://eski.huntermtn.com/itemList....ode_id=1079200

They are charging $15.00 per night and the camping is right on the grounds

https://eski.huntermtn.com/itemList....ode_id=1079200

They are charging $15.00 per night and the camping is right on the grounds
    Interesting...

al from chgo burbs lilredroadster's Avatar

Dead and Warren Haynes.

For a while I thought I was the only Deadhead here! Jerry in now officially Gratefully Dead and missed.
    Warren Haynes did some great things when he was with Government Mule.
    Also Check out the Live from Bonnaroo Cds.
    Have Doo Dah Day!
    Al From Chgo Burbs
    BETTERMENT THROUGH BADGERMENT

the new Winterland box set sounds great
    Rich - Denver
    '04 R1150 GS
    '92 K75s