• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Grateful Thread

May 5-25 1977 are the string of shows I go back to the most. Try streaming or downloading any of the following soundboards from archive.org 5/5 New Haven, 5/7 Boston Garden, 5/8 Barton Hall, 5/9 War Memorial Buffalo, 5/11 Civic Center St Paul, 5/13 Aud Theater Chicago, 5/15 St Louis, 5/17 U of Alabama, 5/18 Fox Theater Atlanta or 5/25 The Mosque, Richmond Va. All of the above shows are spectacular.

Oh yeah, I have some of those! Fox is now a Dick's Picks, BTW. I think I was at the New Haven show. I've had the Barton HAll, Fox, and Auditorium Theater shows on cassette forever. Can't recall which others from '77 I have, but Archive.org definitely gets a workout from me. :D

9/3/77 Raceway Park was an outstanding show broadcast on WNEW FM from NYC . I lived in NJ and was at that show as well. I was also at the 4/26/77 (the day before the show you were at) show at the Capitol which was a great show in its own right.

I wasn't at the 4/27 show, I only heard it (and taped it) on the radio. It was either NEW or LIR, I forget. You know what I wish I could find is a recording of the Marshall Tucker Band from 9/3/77. I thought their set was outstanding. Hey, how about that Eyes of the World form 9/3/77? I still think it is the best.

We'll have to meet up at the MOA national, if you're going.

Bob

Wish I could go to the national this year, but due to my work schedule its not going to happen, however I have already set aside the time for next year in Burlington VT. Meet you in the Beer tent. I'll be wearing my tye dye.

Dick's picks 35 is here...

Dick's Picks 35
Price: $25.00

Dick's Picks 35 is a 4 CD set featuring recently unearthed material from the August 1971 tour. The 8/7 show from San Diego is featured in its entirety, as well as all that could be recovered from the 8/24 show in Chicago, IL. Bonus tracks on disc 4 feature more than an hour of highlights from the 8/6 show at the Palladium in Hollywood, CA. Of course, the CD is mastered in HDCD. For setlist information, please click here.

A Note About Dick's Pick 35: The Legend of the Houseboat Tapes:

Although the Grateful Dead's vault is enormous and impressively full, the band certainly doesn't have a tape of every show it played; in fact, they don't even have a copy of every show they recorded. Tapes drifted off in a variety of ways - including Jerry Garcia handing them out. And therein lies the story of Dick's Picks 35.

This spring, our archivist David Lemieux got a call from Donna Jean Godchaux-Mackay. It seems that in the late summer of 1971, just before Keith Godchaux began rehearsals with the Dead, Garcia handed him a big box of tapes and said, "Here, this is our most recent tour. Learn our music." The irony was that Donna Jean doubts mightily Keith ever bothered to listen to them - he'd never listened to the Dead all that much before he auditioned, first with Garcia and then the rest of the band - he just had an uncanny innate facility for the music. In any case, he left the tapes on his parents' houseboat in Alameda, CA, and there they stayed. For almost 35 years.

In the spring of 2005, Keith's brother Brian and son Zion were cleaning out the houseboat, found the tapes, and gave them to Donna, whose jaw dropped. One call to Lemieux later, and the Dead's long-lost missing tour from the summer of 1971 had resurfaced. Master tapes include April 28 and 29 at the Fillmore East (released as "Ladies and Gentlemen," which was mixed from the multi-track masters), the 7/31 Yale Bowl (alas, the reels were blank), a small piece of the second Hollywood Palladium show, the complete shows from Berkeley Community Theatre 8/14 & 8/15, and others. Dick's Pick #35 is the complete San Diego (8/7/71) show, all that was salvageable of the 8/24 Chicago show, and an hour-plus of the Hollywood Palladium (8/6), which is all that existed on the tapes.

Not a soundboard-recorded note of that tour's music circulates among Dead Heads, so this is a truly remarkable find. How they survived 35 years in a watery environment simply proves, yet once again - if you needed convincing - that God smiles on the Grateful Dead.

Got the email yesterday. I can't wait to get a listen. Lost tapes , great find. Hope there's more to come.. It's my favorite dead era.

snoone said:
Got the email yesterday. I can't wait to get a listen. Lost tapes , great find. Hope there's more to come.. It's my favorite dead era.

There's some great stuff from the early 70s on Archive.org that I downloaded. Don't recall the dates offhand, but if you like that period, you have lots of options. :clap

Thanks, I've been burning and streaming at least a show a day and now have way too much dead music to choose from both on my computer, ipod and stereo. Heaven is nice

The archive.org stuff is great because it's free and very comprehensive, but I have compared some of the soundboards on .org to the Dick's Picks series and there is no comparison - the mastering that Dick does makes a big difference. But until the whole catalog is remastered by Dick, the .org has some rare classics.

It was just about exactly a year ago that I saw The Dead on their tour through here - sniff, sniff - I miss that show and don't think I'll get a fix this year!

The archive boards are more like the shows (actual house mixes), loose, uncut, raw, cutting edge, flawed which is what makes them special. Dick (who is no longer among us,http://www.dead.net/hotline_info/NEW_DOCUMENTS/dp/dick.html) used to take the best of the best and rehash the mixes to something that they never were. The scope of his work is remarkable to say the least.

BobFV1 said:
<snip>
So post away on your favorite topics which put the Dead and the Beamer in the same thought. Here's mine: If The Dead play Red Rocks this summer like they did last summer, is anyone up for a BMW mini-rally/ride in to the concert? I think that would be a great way to combine two of our favorite pasttimes.

I'm going to keep riding my Beemer till I'm Dead! (boy that was easy! :D )

RM

snoone said:
The archive boards are more like the shows (actual house mixes), loose, uncut, raw, cutting edge, flawed which is what makes them special. Dick (who is no longer among us,http://www.dead.net/hotline_info/NEW_DOCUMENTS/dp/dick.html) used to take the best of the best and rehash the mixes to something that they never were. The scope of his work is remarkable to say the least.

It's the age. I used to like camping, now I like to stay in cheap motels (have to stay in expensive hotels when I travel for work). I used to like crude bootleg vinyl disks, now I like Dick's Picks.

Come to think of it - I used to ride an old Suzuki "Enduro". now I ride a BMW...

EMOTO,

I was there at Colt Park in '76. I remember them confiscating everyone's beer at the gate and just tossing it into dumpsters. Of course that didn't stop everyone from getting a buzz on....

Peace

BMWPhreak said:
EMOTO,

I was there at Colt Park in '76. I remember them confiscating everyone's beer at the gate and just tossing it into dumpsters. Of course that didn't stop everyone from getting a buzz on....

Peace

Hey, cool!!! Do you remember the two guys walking around in those old-timey clown suits? Remember the fire at the fence in back?

Emoto,

I remember some sort of commotion at the back fence, but I was up near the stage so I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it. I do remember the idiot on the side of me that puked on the bikers and subsequently had the **** kicked out of him... :doh

BMWPhreak said:
Emoto,

I remember some sort of commotion at the back fence, but I was up near the stage so I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it. I do remember the idiot on the side of me that puked on the bikers and subsequently had the **** kicked out of him... :doh

The vibe was ugly around the edges at that show. The back fence was a tall board fence and people stopped on the highway behind it and decided to burn it down to get in. There must have been at least 20 police cars and fire engines and whatnot trying to quell that scene back there. It was way back, though, so pretty far away from the crowd. I was in the middle kind of in between some speaker towers, IIRC.

Just wanted to make note of Jerry's birthday yesterday which brings back the fond memory of seeing the Dead at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City NJ in 1972 and 1973.

Also it's not too early to plan, Vt for next years national, impromptu meeting of the Grateful Thread, . What do you think

snoone said:
Also it's not too early to plan, Vt for next years national, impromptu meeting of the Grateful Thread, . What do you think

How can you plan it if it's "impromptu?" :stick

But, hey, I'm there.

Well impromptu or not, A little dead corner in the Beer tent would be cool

Happy Birthday Jerry!

I named my new R1 after Jerry's guitar - have to get a vanity plate for it now!

Man, Vermont is a long way from here, but I will definately earmark my calendar.

There's a new set of Fillmore West recordings out.

Take care and rock on.

Grateful Vermont Thread

I don't know about only 3 of us here. I have been reading all of this all along. Stay tuned for the announcements of the rally entertainment in 2006. The "Grateful Threaders" will nto be disappointed. I'll be at the Grateful meeting in Vermont!

Josh Ascher
2006 Rally Co-Chair

Back