Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Grateful Thread

BobFV1

Bob's new bike

CalNalu - Welcome to the thread. Your case rocks!

I traded in my 03 R for an 04 RT over the weekend. So far only have one aftermarket item:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Calnalu

I've been considering getting an iPod to listen to Dead tunes on road trips. What's the easiest way to convert my Dead bootleg tapes to digital? I have a few hundred hours of tapes and have put the conversion on the back burner because of the daunting task. I should probably do it anyway to preserve the tunes.
    One way that I have been converting my tapes and LP's to a useable format is by using a Griffin Technology PowerWave USB interface and pre-amp to dub the music to iTunes which allows me to put it on my iPod or to burn CD's. I just plug my tape deck or turntable(and amp) into the box and record it. Go to the internet and search for some freeware (Final Vinyl) to make it work. I think you can find it from the Griffin Technology webpage. I know it works with my Mac, but since they are putting Windows versions of iPods out, you might be able to do it on a PC.
    Onward, through the fog!

BobFV1

Festival Express???

We have RAIN forecast in the desert this weekend! Might keep me in the house. Has anybody seen "Festival Express" and is it any good? I got the DVD for Christmas and may pop the cork on it. Thanks, Bob

SNOONE
    Festival Express is great. Another view into the madness that surrounded the bands we love.. I'm a Rick Danko guy and there is some really great Band / Danko moments. You'll really enjoy

On another note it was -6 at my house this morning.. Must be nice to be in Arizona!

Yeah, Danko was cool. Saw him play at South station in Boston a few years ago. They set up a little stage right in the station and a small (~150?) crown gathered to hear him as travelers passed by. It was a good show.

Is there much of Jerry and the boys on Festival Express?
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1

SNOONE
    Tons of Jerry and the Boys. It's a must see flick. In the late 70's when Danko was at the top of his game, I put on 3 or 4 college shows with him and Manuel and him and Blondie Chaplin.. He was a most talented guy even though each time we put him on he just about has to be carried onto the stage . He was entirely destroyed, but as soon as he hit the stage he turned into this great musical force. In his later years he became fat and addicted. It was sad to see him go

Thumbs up

Just a heads up on a new CD release of a good show. I've had a bootleg tape of this since a month or so after it happened, so it is nice to see it coming out on CD.

http://www.dead.net/merchandising/music/DECD278/

BobFV1
    Dude - That setlist really rocks! I liked DP 33 because I went to those shows when I was in college, but I am getting DP 34 just because of the outrageously good set list - thanks for the heads up.

PS - Anyone hear how Ratdog sounds on the current tour?

Quote Originally Posted by BobFV1
    Dude - That setlist really rocks! I liked DP 33 because I went to those shows when I was in college, but I am getting DP 34 just because of the outrageously good set list - thanks for the heads up.

PS - Anyone hear how Ratdog sounds on the current tour?

I'm pretty far out of the loop. Haven't heard a thing.

DP 15 was my favorite show I was ever at...

I think any of the shows from 76/77/78 are worth getting.

BobFV1

My Bike Has A Name And It Is....

Lazy lightning
    Sleepy fire in your eyes
    Is it desire in disguise?
    I keep on tryin' but I--
    I can't get through

Lazy lightning
    I'd like to find the proper potion
    To kinda capture your emotion
    You're right beside me but I--
    I can't get through

You're a loop of lazy lightning,
    Liquid loop of lazy lightning,
    Must admit you're kinda fright'ning,
    But you really get me high

So exciting,
    When I hear your velvet thunder
    Seems so near I start to wonder,
    Would you come closer if I--
    I asked you to?

So inviting,
    The way you're messin' with my reason
    It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
    Tell me a lie and I will swear
    I'll swear it's true

You're a loop of lazy lightning,
    Liquid loop of lazy lightning,
    Must admit you're kinda fright'ning,
    Liquid loop of lazy lightning

Rope of fire 'round my heart,
    Rope of fire ever tight'nin',
    Rope of fire 'round my heart,
    It's either lunacy or lightnin'

Lazy lightning
    The way you always 'lectrify me
    Someday I know you'll satisfy me
    And all that lightning will be my lightning too
    My lightning too

["Supplication"]

(Whoo-hoo-hoo) Dizzy ain't the word for the way that you're
    Makin' me feel now
    (Whoo-hoo-hoo) I need some indication if
    All of this is real now
    (Whoo-hoo-hoo) I've heard it said there could be something
    Wrong in my head, now
    (Whoo-hoo-hoo) Could it be infatuation or am I just
    Bein' mislead, now
    Little bolt of inspiration, right beside me now
    Sparkin' my imagination, lightening now
    Causin' instant excitation, cause you're frightening now
    Come to heed my supplication, got to have it now
    My light'nin' too, My light'nin' too

I just discovered .shn file archives on the web with hundreds of shows that you can download (for free!) run through a conversion program (also free) and then burn to CD!!! Although it is probably a lost cause, I am tryting to figureout all the shows I went to and then find downloads of them and burn them to CD...

http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php

BobFV1
    Emoto - this is a really cool site and I did a similar project, checking with old college classmates to try and confirm the precise dates of shows we went to. One thing - while most of the shows are on this site and they are free- they are in many cases just raw, unmastered, analog soundboards with some breaks in continuity. One of the shows I went to and had taken off this site was subsequently released as Dick's Picks 33, and boy, could you tell the difference between the original soundboard and remastered DP release!

That being said, soundboard technology has really come a long way. I bought a digital soundboard of The Dead's tour stop in Phoenix last June and I had it about a month after the show, beautifully digitally mastered right off the source recording. Too bad that technology wasn't around when Jerry and company were playing back in the day......

Yeah, those new tour CDs are cool. I've been buuying them for all the shows I see (which isn't many, since I have a life these days ).

As far as the downloads, so far I have been quite lucky in that they have all been of very high quality. Perhaps I'll hit a clinker here and there, but what the heck. I'm still happy as a clam.

SNOONE
    In the spirit of keeping this thread alive I offer the following: http://www.archive.org. Put the words Grateful Dead in the search and up will come almost 2,800 complete shows free to share and download in many different formats. For best quality type in Grateful Dead Soundboard and up will come about 500 shows to choose from. Read the reviews before you download. You can also sort and search by date, favorite venue or song. This is by far the most complete and awesome archive of music I have ever come across. You can actually download virtually all shows you have ever been to. Load those ipods and computers up. Happy listening.

BobFV1
    That site rocks- literally! BTW, I have a personalized bike plate with a clever Dead reference on order from the State of AZ right now. Some convict is probably hammerring it out as we speak and soon I will have post for you all.

About two weekends ago I was riding along US 60 East of Phoenix, through Apache Junction on a Sunday morning ride. I ride about 80-85 but I slow for traffic and I don't weave and try to ride safe. In my rear-view I saw a bike weaving and gaining on me. As it got closed I saw that it was an RT - I was susprised because I figured it was some 19-year old on a Honda sport bike (or a 47 y/o on a Ducati) but as he weaved past me I saw a large GD skull sticker, I think with a peace sign, on the side of his system case (he was passing me on the right, btw). Naturally, a few miles up the road I rode past him as he pulled in to a little place in Miami, AZ, for a rest stop. Boy - behavior like that could give all of us Dead Heads a bad rep. Wait a minute - we already have one......