Page 15 of 63 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Grateful Thread

Quote Originally Posted by snoone
    It was a little weird, Phil was in the background and Joan sang every song with a couple done by the keyboard guy. He didnt speak at all. Even Phil's mandatory organ donor speech was done by one of the guys in the band.. Maybe he wasnt feeling well?
    Wow. That is bizarre. I hope he's ok.

I won't pay to see Bobby anymore, since his remarks concerning the archive.org fiasco.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1

SNOONE
    I'm not especially happy with his remarks either. His arrogance underwhelmes me.

SNOONE

Karma From The Grateful Thread

I was going through some old drawers and came across a replacement face shield from an old Shoei Helmet I no longer have.. It has never been on a helmet and the #is C-10. I think it came from an RF-8 or 9.. Anyway its up for grabs.. Anyone interested please respond to this post. I'll have one of the lovely ladies in my office draw a winner on Fri the 10th of March. Good Luck

It's time to resurrect The Grateful Thread. I saw Phil and Friends last week at the Beacon theater. Great show and set list. In my opinion one of the tightest bands around. Joan Osborne was great as was Warren Haynes and Trey Anastasio a couple of nights ago.

Passenger
    Doin' That Rag
    Stagger Lee
    Mr. Charlie
    The Hardest Part
    The Weight
    Cosmic Charlie
    Jam
    Shakedown Street
    New Speedway Boogie
    Cats Down Under The Stars
    Magnolia Mountain
    Uncle John's Band
    Morning Dew
    Truckin
    Golden Road

encore
    I Am The Walrus

The Band:
    Phil Lesh
    Rob Barraco
    Barry Sless
    Jeff Sipe
    Larry Campbell
    Joan Osborne
    This was Wednesday, the 15th, right? I'm downloading it now. Can't wait to hear almost a whole show of That Music with Joan singing!

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-d...b.php?id=34187

SNOONE
    That would be the show

Semi-off-topic, but I saw Jazz is Dead last night. The lineup was Jeff Sipe and Rod Morgenstein on drums, T. Lavitz on keyboards, Dave Livosi on bass, and Jeff Pevar on guitar. They did mostly stuff from Blues for Allah. Great show!
    --Joe Merlino - Modified '82 R100RT

SNOONE
    Hey , thats a great band.. I've seen Pevar in CPR (another great band).. Have they recorded anything?

Ah, Rod Morgenstein on drums, T. Lavitz on keyboards. I remember when they were with the Dixie Dregs (one of the greatest and least-known of the genre: "Southern Bands"). VERY good musicians!

Boy, Steve Morse and some of his friends would be a heck of a beer tent band @ Vermont!
    Onward, through the fog!

Hey , thats a great band.. I've seen Pevar in CPR (another great band).. Have they recorded anything?
    I saw a couple of taping rigs at the show, so there might be some recordings of this lineup out there somewhere, but as far as I know, there aren't an studio recordings of this particular lineup.

Pevar was good, although not as adventurous as Jimmy Herring, but it was Morgenstein who stole the show. Don't mock him just because he was in Winger!

Rev - my very first concert ever was the the Dregs opening up for the Doobie Brothers. Of course, I hated the Dregs at the time. I was far too young to appreciate them. I don't really think of them as a "southern band" per se, at least not in the same catagory as The Outlaws or Lynyrd Skynyrd or something. They were more of an American version of Mahavishnu Orchestra.

I'd love to see them get back together, but Morse is busy with Deep Purple right now.
    --Joe Merlino - Modified '82 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by jmerlino
    Rev - my very first concert ever was the the Dregs opening up for the Doobie Brothers. Of course, I hated the Dregs at the time. I was far too young to appreciate them. I don't really think of them as a "southern band" per se, at least not in the same catagory as The Outlaws or Lynyrd Skynyrd or something. They were more of an American version of Mahavishnu Orchestra.
    Agreed, they were more like Mahavishnu than Skynyrd, but they could rock the house. I remember my first Dregs show: a Monday night gig at a rock bar in Chapel Hill,NC. A radio station promotional gig, the gate was $1.07 and only a few folks showed up, but nearly everybody there was a local musician. A bunch of local guitar gods got the chance to get on stage and jam with the band. About the 3rd or 4th encore, Twiggs Lyndon, the Dreg's road manager and one of the original Allman roadies, broke out one of Duane's old Gibson guitars and joined the guitar wars on stage. A very memorable night back in 1977, the band was promoting their newest (and best) album "What If?". I have been a loyal fan since and have had the pleasure of seeing them several times afterwards.
    Onward, through the fog!

That would be the show
    I'm really enjoying it. Just got into the 3rd CD on the way home. Will finish it tomorrow. Some good stuff there. If only it were a soundboard instead of an audience tape, it would be even sweeter.

SNOONE
    Quote Originally Posted by Emoto
    I'm really enjoying it. Just got into the 3rd CD on the way home. Will finish it tomorrow. Some good stuff there. If only it were a soundboard instead of an audience tape, it would be even sweeter.
    I thought the audience tape did justice to the performance and in listening to it later I discovered some of the music actually sounded better on the cd than live maybe due to where we were seated or where the taper was located

Yeah mics will often reject sound from behind, so can actually get a clearer sound than your ears. It is a good recording.

That would be the show
    Any idea why Phil didn't speak? Did he look well?

SNOONE
    It was like he was just the bass player in Joan and Rob's Band.