Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: Grateful Thread

Quote Originally Posted by snoone
    Sorry I posted the wrong info for the Legion of Mary show. Try
    http://www.furthurnet.org/index.php. I just went there and saw the show.. If you can't access it I'd be happy to share
    Ok, I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but which page has the show downloads/bit torrents? I can't find any shows there to download. Where are they hiding them?

Thanks!
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1

SNOONE
    Quote Originally Posted by Emoto
    Ok, I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but which page has the show downloads/bit torrents? I can't find any shows there to download. Where are they hiding them?

Thanks!
    First thing you have to do is download the further software http://www.furthurnet.org/downloadarea/

You can download for either windows or mac.. once you open the software you'll see the search directory

Quote Originally Posted by Emoto
    Thank you veery much for the link
    Biff
    2017 F800 GSA
    2004 R1150R Silver(former)
    There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule.

First thing you have to do is download the further software http://www.furthurnet.org/downloadarea/

You can download for either windows or mac.. once you open the software you'll see the search directory
    Ah. Thanks! So, the Bit Torrent client I have is apparently not good for this? I should just try it and see, I guess....

SNOONE
    no, these are straight downloads. As with all of these things alot of the music is hit and miss as far as the quality goes. I end up trashing at least half of what I get from these sites.. But sometimes there is a real gem to be found

no, these are straight downloads. As with all of these things alot of the music is hit and miss as far as the quality goes. I end up trashing at least half of what I get from these sites.. But sometimes there is a real gem to be found
    For some reason, my download speed is extremely slow. Like less than 50 kb/second. This will take all day.

from Archive.org I can download very quickly...

SNOONE
    true, I've found some are slow and some are faster.. These shows I think are hosted on individual computers that may or may not have fast connections and I don't thing the files are shared between seeders, But I've gotten some good shows if you have the patience.

If you don't have the patience private message me and I'll burn and send you the show

BobFV1
    I downloaded one of the archive files from a show I went to at Winterland right after they returned from Egypt. I remember it like it was yesterday - they had a bunch of arabs playing drums and stuff before the Grateful Dead took the stage, and all during the performance they had slides showing them playing the pyramids right above the stage.

Anyway, I was listening ot the show on my iPod while at the gym and all of a sudden it sounded like the sound board guy just lost Garcia's voice mike in the middle of Sugaree - you could still hear the vocal but it was like you were standin gin the back of the hall listening to the sound bouncing off all the walls and stuff, with a tinny echo. It was cool - sort of "rustic", just like those shows at Winterland were sort of "rustic"!!!

SNOONE
    The perfect shows are put out as dick's picks and From the Vault series. The rest of the shows well, some are perfect and others have personality.. What you are probably listening to is a soundboard recording with audience patches. Sometimes the board source tapes have defects and are patched with alternate tape sources. And all of a sudden the sound will go from that far away sound back to the pristine sound you started with. Its all good

BobFV1
    snoone - I think you hit it on the head, bro. Rock on.

My downloads from Further finally finished. Whoa, that took a while! Anyhow, tonight I'll decode them and burn them to disk. Thanks, guys!

Speaking of show sound quality, we've really all gotten spoiled. Dig out some of the old bootleg tapes you used to listen to and try listening to them now and see what you think. Many were very poorly recorded, but we had access to nothing better, so we enjoyed them as they were.

BobFV1
    Yeah, it's all realtive - "Steal Your Face" sounds pretty tinny as well by today's standards, but was cutting edge in terms of live recording 30 years ago.

callmethebreeze

Digitized Dead

Should the music mavens go back and re-master the old tapes and discs? Everything can be enhanced correct? Would it still be the same? Hmmmm, I wonder.

Breeze

SNOONE
    Ryko I think has the rights to all the old dead commercial stuff and has released remastered stuff. I think I heard a copy of American Beauty and It sounded pristine. In reference to the old commercially released live Dead stuff I don't think there is any reason to re-release any of it since so much better stuff now exists.. Why line the pockets of the record companys when they can release the music themselves as they do

Quote Originally Posted by Callmethebreeze
    Should the music mavens go back and re-master the old tapes and discs? Everything can be enhanced correct? Would it still be the same? Hmmmm, I wonder.

Breeze
    Poor sound quality on a "bootleg" doesn't bother me, but I always appreciate better quality if it's available. Mastering for CD, and mastering for vinyl or tape are two vastly different processes, and old recordings that are released on CD really do need to be remastered. There are some great jazz albums that have been remastered for CD by the original recording engineer (Rudy Van Gelder), that sound absolutely fantastic, so it can be done. Digital doesn't have to sound cold, although bad mastering can certainly have that effect.
    --Joe Merlino - Modified '82 R100RT