Page 10 of 63 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 ... LastLast

Thread: Grateful Thread

Okay, I decided to have a listen to 10/14/83 for the first time in a long time, and I really need to redouble my recommendation for this show. In addition to the aformentioned four-fer, there's also a killer "The Other One" and a "Stella Blue" that's got to rank as one of Garcia's best performances ever (both vocal and guitar). The whole band was really "on" that night, but Garcia was especially so. His guitar playing is less noodly and more incisive than usual.

It's Dick's Picks volume 6. (It's worth getting the DP, too, as Bobby's guitar comes though much better on the soundboard recroding than on audience recordings that I've heard.)
    --Joe Merlino - Modified '82 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by snoone
    9/3/77, Thanks for the reminder. I'm listening to the 13 minute eyes as I'm reading. I was at that show in Englishtown and as I remember it was broadcast on WNEW FM.

Yup, WNEW used to air that show now and then for years, but as I recall, the FM broadcast had a messed up Promised Land and was missing the encore (Terrapin Station). Some other friends of mine were there with gear, so they taped it from the audience, so I had that version too. In the Dick's Picks release I think they mixed Jerry's guitar a little softer than it was at the show. Does that jive with your memory of it?

I really wish I had a recording of Marshall Tucker's performance. Wasn't it awesome?
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1

Quote Originally Posted by jmerlino
    Okay, I decided to have a listen to 10/14/83 for the first time in a long time, and I really need to redouble my recommendation for this show. In addition to the aformentioned four-fer, there's also a killer "The Other One" and a "Stella Blue" that's got to rank as one of Garcia's best performances ever (both vocal and guitar). The whole band was really "on" that night, but Garcia was especially so. His guitar playing is less noodly and more incisive than usual.

It's Dick's Picks volume 6. (It's worth getting the DP, too, as Bobby's guitar comes though much better on the soundboard recroding than on audience recordings that I've heard.)
    Thanks, Joe, I'll have to look for that.

SNOONE
    You definately have a better memory than I.. At the show the things you remember more is the scene that was going on at the time or the memory of the girls or friends you might have been with.. The music was important but at an outdoor venue such as englishtown but there was a lot of other distractions and activities.

You definately have a better memory than I.. At the show the things you remember more is the scene that was going on at the time or the memory of the girls or friends you might have been with.. The music was important but at an outdoor venue such as englishtown but there was a lot of other distractions and activities.
    That's a good reason to get recordings of the shows you were at. You can give a really close listen and catch all the musical nuance that you may have missed at the time.
    --Joe Merlino - Modified '82 R100RT

Well, I don't know how good my memory really is but we goofed around during the first two bands, but when Jerry and the boys took that stage, it was all about the music and I was oblivious to all else.

Do you recall how long it took to get out of the parking lot? I think it took hours, but I am not sure. All I know is I went to sleep in the car for a little while until we could actually get out.

SNOONE
    That I do remember. Rte 9/18 was backed up at least 2 hrs.

SNOONE

lots of new forum members

Time to resurrect the Grateful Thread to let everyone out there know we are here.. New music @http://gdstore.com/. Its remarkable after all these years that the music coming out of the vaults for sale is every bit as good as music released when the band was viable. Will it ever end?

BobFV1
    Long Live the Thread! Flew from Phoenix to Columbus today and was rocking out to the JGB - Senor, Evangeline - great stuff! Heard there's a new Fillmore set coming out - where does this stuff come from????

There's nothing for your head like the old Grateful Dead!

SNOONE
    I downloaded a show from Archive.org. from April 6, 1975 by Legion of Mary.. This lineup only lasted about 6 months within that year. The band consisted of Jerry Garcia, Martin Fierro, John Kahn, Merl Saunders and Ron Tutt.

Check out this site http://members.aol.com/lomhome/

I downloaded a show from Archive.org. from April 6, 1975 by Legion of Mary.. This lineup only lasted about 6 months within that year. The band consisted of Jerry Garcia, Martin Fierro, John Kahn, Merl Saunders and Ron Tutt.

Check out this site http://members.aol.com/lomhome/
    From archive.org? I'd be all over that, but I don't see any Legion of Mary links on the "browse by baneds" page...

SNOONE
    Sorry I posted the wrong info for the Legion of Mary show. Try
    http://www.furthurnet.org/index.php. I just went there and saw the show.. If you can't access it I'd be happy to share

Snoone wrote
    So Many Roads 7/9/95.
    It was amazing there in Soldier field. I need to find a copy of that song/show.

My current favorite album is Hundred Year Hall from Germany in '72. I also like a cd I have called Celestial Synapse(Warfield Theatre, S. F. Oct. 10th/11th, 1980).
    Biff
    2017 F800 GSA
    2004 R1150R Silver(former)
    There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule.

Sorry I posted the wrong info for the Legion of Mary show. Try
    http://www.furthurnet.org/index.php. I just went there and saw the show.. If you can't access it I'd be happy to share
    Cool! Thanks, I will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by BiffsR
    Snoone wrote

It was amazing there in Soldier field. I need to find a copy of that song/show.
    Here ya go: http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-d...b.php?id=13996