• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Grateful Thread

I just discovered .shn file archives on the web with hundreds of shows that you can download (for free!) run through a conversion program (also free) and then burn to CD!!! Although it is probably a lost cause, I am tryting to figureout all the shows I went to and then find downloads of them and burn them to CD...

http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php

:twirl :twirl :twirl :twirl :twirl :twirl :thumb

Emoto - this is a really cool site and I did a similar project, checking with old college classmates to try and confirm the precise dates of shows we went to. One thing - while most of the shows are on this site and they are free- they are in many cases just raw, unmastered, analog soundboards with some breaks in continuity. One of the shows I went to and had taken off this site was subsequently released as Dick's Picks 33, and boy, could you tell the difference between the original soundboard and remastered DP release!

That being said, soundboard technology has really come a long way. I bought a digital soundboard of The Dead's tour stop in Phoenix last June and I had it about a month after the show, beautifully digitally mastered right off the source recording. Too bad that technology wasn't around when Jerry and company were playing back in the day......

Yeah, those new tour CDs are cool. I've been buuying them for all the shows I see (which isn't many, since I have a life these days :brow ).

As far as the downloads, so far I have been quite lucky in that they have all been of very high quality. Perhaps I'll hit a clinker here and there, but what the heck. I'm still happy as a clam.

In the spirit of keeping this thread alive I offer the following: http://www.archive.org. Put the words Grateful Dead in the search and up will come almost 2,800 complete shows free to share and download in many different formats. For best quality type in Grateful Dead Soundboard and up will come about 500 shows to choose from. Read the reviews before you download. You can also sort and search by date, favorite venue or song. This is by far the most complete and awesome archive of music I have ever come across. You can actually download virtually all shows you have ever been to. Load those ipods and computers up. Happy listening.

That site rocks- literally! BTW, I have a personalized bike plate with a clever Dead reference on order from the State of AZ right now. Some convict is probably hammerring it out as we speak and soon I will have post for you all.

About two weekends ago I was riding along US 60 East of Phoenix, through Apache Junction on a Sunday morning ride. I ride about 80-85 but I slow for traffic and I don't weave and try to ride safe. In my rear-view I saw a bike weaving and gaining on me. As it got closed I saw that it was an RT - I was susprised because I figured it was some 19-year old on a Honda sport bike (or a 47 y/o on a Ducati) but as he weaved past me I saw a large GD skull sticker, I think with a peace sign, on the side of his system case (he was passing me on the right, btw). Naturally, a few miles up the road I rode past him as he pulled in to a little place in Miami, AZ, for a rest stop. Boy - behavior like that could give all of us Dead Heads a bad rep. Wait a minute - we already have one......

My pleasure! Sharing the music is always good. :twirl

Having this resource has transformed my boring daily winter commute in the Jeep. Seems like I listen to a new CD every day. :D

My Bike - Lazy Lightning

Now it's official:

Attachments

• Trip 063.jpg
    Trip 063.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 113
Lazy Lightning

Nice!

I had the following plate on my road trip cage for a long, long time:

DADARAN

The license plate frame around it said: "HINT: Better head back to Tennessee Jed".

Our road trip mantra...

Still haven't figured out the 'perfect' plate for my scoot yet. Five letters/numbers makes it tougher.

Marty

Emoto said:
Boy, Marty, I know the song well, but DADARAN beats the heck outta me!

:dunno

Here's another hint, one of my all-time favorite Dead plates is "WALSTIB". DADARAN is similar.

:thumb

Calnalu said:
Here's another hint, one of my all-time favorite Dead plates is "WALSTIB". DADARAN is similar.

:thumb

Ok, I figured out walstib as a cliche, but still don;t understand dadaran.

Emoto said:
Ok, I figured out walstib as a cliche, but still don;t understand dadaran.

Didn't mean to cause you a day's worth of stress about this :D

OK, last hint: "Law come to get you if you don't walk right."

Marty

Calnalu said:
Didn't mean to cause you a day's worth of stress about this :D

OK, last hint: "Law come to get you if you don't walk right."

Marty

AHA!!!!

I get it now. :doh

OIAWYCGSTLITSOPIYLAIR

:D

And, I forgot to say before, Bob, VERY COOL plate!!!

Last edited:
You guys are killing me - DADARAN? Won't fit on an AZ bike plate - only 5 characters allowed!

And BTW - the Dead will live on long after Pink Floyd is forgotten......

Hi, and welcome to Grateful Dead Flash #22

in case you guys didn't get this....sorry the links don't work....

Hi, and welcome to Grateful Dead Flash #22

ON THE ROAD (AGAIN)

RatDog:
As this issue of the Flash hits cyberspace, RatDog is 10 days into a tour - the buzz is loud and extremely positive - and now hitting the East Coast. If you can't get to a show, go to munckmusic.com and get a live CD.
Tour Dates and info.

Just announced: RatDog will be playing at Bonnaroo this summer!
For more information go to: www.bonnaroo.com

Hydra featuring Mickey Hart and Particle:
Simultaneously, our own Mickey Hart has joined up with an electronic/jam-rock outfit called Particle to form Hydra, and they'll kick off their tour in Santa Cruz on April 7th.
Schedule, photos and much more ... HERE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW MUSIC and OTHER STUFF
Recent releases and new Almanac items currently available at the GD Online Store

Grateful Dead - Rare Cuts and Oddities/1966:
Our esteemed archivist, David Lemieux, started digging into the reeeaally old corner of the vault, and found some genuinely off-the-wall songs recorded by the Dead in 1966. Somehow, we doubt you ever heard "Gangster of Love" before. Rare Cuts and Oddities/1966 is amazing stuff -
check it out ...

2005 Jammys:
Finally, it's not too late to get your vote in on the Jammys (in New York on April 26th, m.c.'d by Phil, and with the "GD Movie" up for DVD of the year and shows by Phil & Friends and The Dead up for Live Performance of the Year).
Hey, democracy is cool - go to jammys.com and do your civic duty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW READING MATERIAL

Phil Lesh - Searching For The Sound
Phil offers a behind-the-scenes history of the Grateful Dead, from their first gig for an audience of three to the legendary Acid Tests and packed stadiums around the world. Phil chronicles how the Dead's signature sound emerged, flowed, and swelled to reach millions of devoted fans. The book also includes 32 pages of photographs.

Grateful Dead CD and Phil Lesh Signed Book Plate Offer From The Legendary Independent Bookstore Powells.com.
For a limited time, with all purchases of Phil's new book Searching For The Sound: My life with the Grateful Dead directly from Powells.com you will receive an exclusive new CD produced by Phil, which includes four previously unreleased Grateful Dead tracks, along with Phil's comments on these four songs. Of perhaps greatest interest to all Dead Heads is the first-ever official release of the long-lost Grateful Dead original song "Cardboard Cowboy," presented here in its 1966 studio version. In addition to this exclusive CD you will receive a Phil Lesh-signed book plate designed by Gary Houston. This CD and book plate offer is not available anywhere else. It's Phil's gift to you!
This is a limited offer, so visit Powells.com now to receive this special gift.

QUESTION and ANSWER DEPARTMENT

Question: How were the bonus songs on The Grateful Dead Movie DVD selected for inclusion on the DVD?

Answer: There was a several-pronged criteria for the selection of these bonus songs on the DVD. The first, and most obvious consideration, was that they be excellent performances. We knew from the beginning that we were limited to about 90 minutes of bonus songs on Disc Two of the DVD (we ended up including 100 minutes), so we focused on several key factors: were they songs considered for possible inclusion in the original Grateful Dead Movie by Jerry ("Uncle John's Band," which was originally slated to open to The Grateful Dead Movie, "Sugaree," "The Other One" and its attendant jams)? Did we have usable audio and film elements from which we could do a proper audio mix and a proper film edit on the song? Also key was a conscious effort to include songs that the Grateful Dead were performing particularly well in 1974 ("China>Rider," "Scarlet Begonias," "Weather Report Suite," "Dark Star"). With the wealth of excellent material to draw upon, it bodes well for a future release of more Grateful Dead from October, 1974 on DVD.

David Lemieux
Audiovisual Archivist
Grateful Dead Productions

Send this eNewsletter to a friend

If you got this from a friend, and want to sign up for your own Flash, go to http://heynow.dead.net and join up ....
?®2004 Grateful Dead Productions, Inc. All rights reserved.

Hmmm. I'll have to go to the site and sign up for that. I do get the printed almanac and check their site periodically.

Ratdog just doesn't do it for me. There isn't enough lead guitar for my tastes.

So, it sounds like there will be no tour by everyone together this year. :cry

Ratdog does'nt do it for me either. In fact, Bob Weir I think is too old for this rock and roll band thing.. He looked lost and bewildered when playing with Warren Haynes last summer and I'm afraid he's lost the edge.

Back