Page 5 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Grateful Thread

Tough question, but is Bobby a user of something he shouldn't be? I've never heard a single rumor about him in that regard.

OTOH, he had to postpone the current Ratdog tour due to exhaustion, so maybe he was in a bad way all last summer/fall and that's what the problem was. I dunno.

Phil still seems to be kicking a%&, though. Those free soundboard downloads of the December and February shows with some members of Railroad Earth were pretty hot.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1

SNOONE
    Maybe that would explain the Bob Weir funk.. Probably the self-medication caused the exhaustion. And you're right Phil still has the juice until he tries to sing.

Remember when he would only sing maybe one song every 10 shows? I don't mind his singing, but I hate to subject non-deadheads to it...

SNOONE
    Who really sang Unbroken Chain and Box of Rain!!! The wonders of recording technology I bet

Well, the two big problems are playing and singing at the same time, and being able to hear yourself perfectly. Both are taken care of in the studio.

BobFV1
    I think you guys are right - Bobby is mostly befuddled and Phil rocks on. Maybe Bobby needs a liver transplant like Phil...

And that is HILARIOUS, the one about not wanting to subject your non-DH friends to Phil's singing! I always go for the volume control when my soundboard CD from last summer comes to the "Lady finger dipped in moonlight" passage as "vocally styled" by Mr. Lesh.

By the way, I never got "DADARAN". A little help?

Drink all day and rock all night.

SNOONE

Searching for the Sound

Picked up this book just published and authored by Phil.. I've gotten through about 1/4 of it and I have to say this is a must read. This is the bands story through Phil's eyes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've always felt that Phil was the most interesting member of the band. Here's a guy whose musical universe basically started with classical music, who then went to jazz, and the finally rock. (It's too bad he never collaberated with Frank Zappa - that would have been really interesting.) He originally played trumpet, and didn't start on bass until he got into the Dead. He studied under the avant garde composer Luciano Berio. To say that his approach to the bass is unique would be an understatement. Yeah, Phil is the man!

EDIT: Hey, Emoto, sounds like we have similar tastes in music. We ought to jam some time.
    --Joe Merlino - Modified '82 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by jmerlino
    I've always felt that Phil was the most interesting member of the band. Here's a guy whose musical universe basically started with classical music, who then went to jazz, and the finally rock. (It's too bad he never collaberated with Frank Zappa - that would have been really interesting.) He originally played trumpet, and didn't start on bass until he got into the Dead. He studied under the avant garde composer Luciano Berio. To say that his approach to the bass is unique would be an understatement. Yeah, Phil is the man!
    No question, he is an interesting fellow, both musically, and personally. I love his playing.

EDIT: Hey, Emoto, sounds like we have similar tastes in music. We ought to jam some time.
    Hey, I'd love to. What do you play? I'm on the south shore, BTW, and have a room with a P.A. (and no neighbors close enough to bother with music). It is so hard to find someone with similar tastes to jam with...

Quote Originally Posted by snoone
    Picked up this book just published and authored by Phil.. I've gotten through about 1/4 of it and I have to say this is a must read. This is the bands story through Phil's eyes.
    This is definitely on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Emoto
    Hey, I'd love to. What do you play? I'm on the south shore, BTW, and have a room with a P.A. (and no neighbors close enough to bother with music). It is so hard to find someone with similar tastes to jam with...
    I play guitar (I think you do as well, yes?).
    --Joe Merlino - Modified '82 R100RT

I play guitar (I think you do as well, yes?).
    Correctamundo. Email on the way.

Any other Boston area BMW riding musicians who like this type of music out there?

Quote Originally Posted by snoone
    Just got it on Sunday and finished it today.

SNOONE
    Great book with some pretty cool insight into the band huh.