• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Grateful Thread

My downloads from Further finally finished. Whoa, that took a while! Anyhow, tonight I'll decode them and burn them to disk. Thanks, guys!

Speaking of show sound quality, we've really all gotten spoiled. Dig out some of the old bootleg tapes you used to listen to and try listening to them now and see what you think. Many were very poorly recorded, but we had access to nothing better, so we enjoyed them as they were.

Yeah, it's all realtive - "Steal Your Face" sounds pretty tinny as well by today's standards, but was cutting edge in terms of live recording 30 years ago.

Digitized Dead

Should the music mavens go back and re-master the old tapes and discs? Everything can be enhanced correct? Would it still be the same? Hmmmm, I wonder.

Breeze

Ryko I think has the rights to all the old dead commercial stuff and has released remastered stuff. I think I heard a copy of American Beauty and It sounded pristine. In reference to the old commercially released live Dead stuff I don't think there is any reason to re-release any of it since so much better stuff now exists.. Why line the pockets of the record companys when they can release the music themselves as they do

Callmethebreeze said:
Should the music mavens go back and re-master the old tapes and discs? Everything can be enhanced correct? Would it still be the same? Hmmmm, I wonder.

Breeze

Poor sound quality on a "bootleg" doesn't bother me, but I always appreciate better quality if it's available. Mastering for CD, and mastering for vinyl or tape are two vastly different processes, and old recordings that are released on CD really do need to be remastered. There are some great jazz albums that have been remastered for CD by the original recording engineer (Rudy Van Gelder), that sound absolutely fantastic, so it can be done. Digital doesn't have to sound cold, although bad mastering can certainly have that effect.

I saw the Johnny Cash Biopic "Walk The Line" recently, which was excellent. It made me think, what about a Jerry Garcia biopic? Would Hollywood go for it? It would be a money-maker, which is what drives Hollywood. Do you all think there is suitable source material for it? In the case of Johnny Cash they had Johnny's (ghost-written) autobiography.

With Johnny Depp as Jerry.... Interesting.. There certainly is enough source material to pick out a moment to fill 2 hrs on the screen

snoone said:
With Johnny Depp as Jerry.... Interesting.. There certainly is enough source material to pick out a moment to fill 2 hrs on the screen

I think it would have to have Europe 72, the "Wall of Sound" Winterland concerts of the mid-70's, and maybe end up with Egypt in '78 - that would be cool.

Johnny Depp, huh? I'll have to think about casting a little more.

New Flash. Those pristine Soundboards we all love have been blocked.. It seems the former Mrs. Garcia is protecting her pocketbook.. Boards from Phil and Ratdog still seem to be available.

Dead boards can still be found on gdlive.com and dimeadozen.org

I just found out about this myself and am sick about it.

Where did oyu hear the Koons info? How could she control something from before they were married?

The rumor is circulating on the archive message board but the edict came down from Grateful Dead Merchandising.

Interesting.

I've now sent emails to the various official dead and related sites stating my displeasure, and informing them that I will no longer give them a penny for merchandise or anything else.

Many people are expressing the same sentiments.. Well back to good ole trading like the old days.

I bet though all the shows will be shared on sites like dime.

I guess I'll have to get busy on further, assuming they haven't been hit with the same nonsense.

Those other sites are different than Archive.. Archive is a Library/depository whereas all the other sites for the most part are places to trade/share your files. Dimeadozen, gdlive and furthur are places to trade without having to put your disk in an envelope and apply postage.

Following is the original post on Archive

View Post [edit]
Reply to this post | Go Back
Poster: brewster Date: November 22, 2005 04:52:58pm
Forum: etree Subject: Grateful Dead concert recordings on the Internet Archive

The Internet Archive has worked with tapers, tape
traders, funders, admins, and over 1000 bands
to build a great non-commercial music library that is freely accessible.
Technically and policy-wise, it has been invigorating as you can probably appreciate.
We have made changes in the past and we will make changes again.

Following the policies of the Grateful Dead and the Dead communities
we have provided non-commercial access to thousands of great concerts.
Based on discussions with many involved, the Internet Archive has been asked
to change how the Grateful Dead concert recordings are being distributed
on the Archive site for the time being. The full collection will remain safe
in the Archive for preservation purposes.

Here is the plan:

Audience recordings are available in streaming format (m3u).

Soundboard recordings are not available.

Additionally, the Grateful Dead recordings will be separated from the
Live Music Archive into its own collection. The metadata and reviews for
all shows and recordings will remain available.

We appreciate that this change will be a surprise and upset many of you, but please
channel reactions in ways that you genuinely think will be productive.
If we keep the bigger picture in mind that there are many experiments
going on right now, and experiments working well, we can build on the momentum
that tape trading started decades ago.

Working together we can keep non-commercial sharing part of our world.

Thank you for helping find balances that work for all involved.

-brewster
Digital Librarian and Founder

-Matt Vernon
Volunteer GD Archivist

Happy to see that such an important and pervasive cultural foundation such as this has been permanently archived for the future of mankind, riderkind, and da kind; and I do miss the good ol' days....

Thanks again, Jerry.

And thanks for the new links for concerts :)

Belg said:
Happy to see that such an important and pervasive cultural foundation such as this has been permanently archived for the future of mankind, riderkind, and da kind; and I do miss the good ol' days....

Thanks again, Jerry.

And thanks for the new links for concerts :)

And PS, yeah, it does sound like someone's got their fingers on the money... how annoying.

BobFV1 said:
I saw the Johnny Cash Biopic "Walk The Line" recently, which was excellent. It made me think, what about a Jerry Garcia biopic? Would Hollywood go for it? It would be a money-maker, which is what drives Hollywood. Do you all think there is suitable source material for it? In the case of Johnny Cash they had Johnny's (ghost-written) autobiography.

Garcia: An American Life is a terrific bio of Jerry, and would probably make for decent source material.

Back