Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Grateful Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sibek
    I remember it as Hartford Speedway, but jeez, it could have been anything that afternoon.

Saw the Dead and MANY others when I was in college in Boston I worked as an usher at the Music Hall...
    I saw them there once in... I want to say 76 or 77, in November, I believe. First set had a Lazy Lightning, IIRC. We were trying to tape it, but the f'ing usher kept coming around and hassling me. Finally he came back with a cop and said if I didn't stop he would throw me out. too bad because it was a really good show...

Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1

BobFV1
    Quote Originally Posted by snoone
    Well with the addition of Warren Haynes they certainly destroy The Other Ones.. I especially did not enjoy the Joan Osborne Sugaree debacle.
    Warren definitely made the Summer 04 iteration of The Dead the best since Jerry shuffled off the mortal coil. It's pretty cool to pick up some Allman Bros. guitar riffs from Warren in some of his songs, like "The Real Thing" - the soundboard CD's from the Summer shows are really very very good. It's amazing how the giant analog consoles from the old days are replaced by a laptop and a server.

Anyway - there were some great new covers in the summer shows this year - Elton John's "Madman Across The Water" - Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" - Traffic's "Low Spark..." I think you can download many of them for free on The GD site.

_ Hey, does anyone have some good photos of Dead customization of Bikes or helmets? I have the SYF skull in the middle of a roundel, replacing the blue and white part, on my 1150R rear fender - it rocks. I am traveling now but when I get home I'll take a snap and post it.

SNOONE
    I only have some stickers on my bags, but I certainly have interest in custom tank/helmet/bag with the good ol Grateful Dead Theme. Anyone out there have any pics?

I am anxiously awaiting this years summer schedule and lineup. I have an advertising co and through fate I recently found out that the musical interests of a couple of my clients are 100% Dead oriented. Who would have thunk it to look at these guys. So last summer we had our first customer Dead event at Jones Beach where we invited 4 or our customers. This year we'll organize it a little better and hopefully get some more to come.

Any you guys are invited as well!!

Quote Originally Posted by snoone
    I only have some stickers on my bags, but I certainly have interest in custom tank/helmet/bag with the good ol Grateful Dead Theme. Anyone out there have any pics?
    I don't have any pics handy, but every single helmet I have owned, since I started riding in 1977 has had a small round SYF like this (see below) centered on the front of the helmet just above the face shield.

The last few helmets have had stickers, but the first helmet had it painted on by an artist friend. I love having it on there, but the 1.5" size is good. Too big and you start to draw the attention of the constabulary...

A long strange trip...

... to Alaska. Taken back in 1998 and posted to the net along the way.

Here is the report. (Read the "Ian" part...)

The guy who was posting it for me sorta petered out along the way. There was a version of it on the BMW MOA CampSite for a while, but it got taken down.

On the back of my fender was this sticker:

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

Speaking of the Dead...

I just got my first DVD player (I know, I know- hey, I've been busy) and need suggestions for favorite, ultimate, essential Dead DVD's... have looked at some Dick's Picks, but need fan advice!
    #92115 - '01 R1150GS

Why don't they make a Nerf Martini Glass?

BobFV1

DVD Advice

Quote Originally Posted by lancew
    I just got my first DVD player (I know, I know- hey, I've been busy) and need suggestions for favorite, ultimate, essential Dead DVD's... have looked at some Dick's Picks, but need fan advice!
    Hi - The "ouerve" of the Dead is more limited on DVD than on CD - I got the new DVD release of 'The Grateful Dead Movie" for Christmas and it rocks - two DVD set with lots of extras and tracks that were not on the original VHS. I have seen it on EBAY for around twenty bucks - which is a lot cheaper than prices available on the net.

SNOONE
    I second The Grateful Dead Movie. I Forgot how good it was

SNOONE

I'm a showoff

How about some ink! Anybody else?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice roundel there, Bob! Was that custom made?

BobFV1
    Emoto -

Actually, it is a "stock" BMW metal roundel on the optional rear fender mount. I bought a small SYF decal from the Dead store on the GD official website, and it was the exact same diameter as the "propeller" part of the roundel. I stuck it on and it seems to have bonded really well - I tried to peel it off to use some silicon adhesive on it but I could not get it off so I just left it. Gets a lot of "thumbs ups" - mostly from college kids around here.

Quote Originally Posted by BobFV1
    Emoto -

Actually, it is a "stock" BMW metal roundel on the optional rear fender mount. I bought a small SYF decal from the Dead store on the GD official website, and it was the exact same diameter as the "propeller" part of the roundel. I stuck it on and it seems to have bonded really well - I tried to peel it off to use some silicon adhesive on it but I could not get it off so I just left it. Gets a lot of "thumbs ups" - mostly from college kids around here.
    Well, it sure looks good.

These days, I tend to go with a more stealth approach for the vehicle itself. I run one of these on the back window of the cage:

I may take a SYF sticker and just cut out the lightening bolt part for the GS, like this:

I don't know why, but I kind of like being cryptic enough to only let others who "know" know...

Hey Now! Dead bootleg question.

Nice to see a thread related to two of my favorite things! Here's a pic of the sticky on my side case.

It took me a couple years after Jerry passed to venture back to see the boys. I couldn't even listen to a Dead tape without tearing up hearing Jerry's voice. Eventually, a friend convinced me to check out the Other Ones and last year, I saw the Dead over New Year's. Definitely not the same as the GD but the Deadhead vibe was still very much alive (albeit much older and more than just a touch of gray).

I've been considering getting an iPod to listen to Dead tunes on road trips. What's the easiest way to convert my Dead bootleg tapes to digital? I have a few hundred hours of tapes and have put the conversion on the back burner because of the daunting task. I should probably do it anyway to preserve the tunes.

Keep me posted if a Dead show ride happens!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Marty Takimoto
    1999 R1100R, 2012 R1200GS
    BMWMOA #107071, IBA #44006

Marty, that's a great question. I, too, would like to preserve my old tapes somehow. If you find out, please let me know, and I will do the same.

You do know about the "Dick's Picks" CDs available on dead.net, right?