• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Grateful Thread

Speaking of the Dead...

I just got my first DVD player (I know, I know- hey, I've been busy) and need suggestions for favorite, ultimate, essential Dead DVD's... have looked at some Dick's Picks, but need fan advice!

DVD Advice

lancew said:
I just got my first DVD player (I know, I know- hey, I've been busy) and need suggestions for favorite, ultimate, essential Dead DVD's... have looked at some Dick's Picks, but need fan advice!

Hi - The "ouerve" of the Dead is more limited on DVD than on CD - I got the new DVD release of 'The Grateful Dead Movie" for Christmas and it rocks - two DVD set with lots of extras and tracks that were not on the original VHS. I have seen it on EBAY for around twenty bucks - which is a lot cheaper than prices available on the net.

I'm a showoff

How about some ink! Anybody else?

Attachments

• Document1.jpg
    Document1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 277
Emoto -

Actually, it is a "stock" BMW metal roundel on the optional rear fender mount. I bought a small SYF decal from the Dead store on the GD official website, and it was the exact same diameter as the "propeller" part of the roundel. I stuck it on and it seems to have bonded really well - I tried to peel it off to use some silicon adhesive on it but I could not get it off so I just left it. Gets a lot of "thumbs ups" - mostly from college kids around here.

BobFV1 said:
Emoto -

Actually, it is a "stock" BMW metal roundel on the optional rear fender mount. I bought a small SYF decal from the Dead store on the GD official website, and it was the exact same diameter as the "propeller" part of the roundel. I stuck it on and it seems to have bonded really well - I tried to peel it off to use some silicon adhesive on it but I could not get it off so I just left it. Gets a lot of "thumbs ups" - mostly from college kids around here.

Well, it sure looks good.

These days, I tend to go with a more stealth approach for the vehicle itself. I run one of these on the back window of the cage:

gd0006e-sm.jpg

I may take a SYF sticker and just cut out the lightening bolt part for the GS, like this:

DEAS089.jpg

I don't know why, but I kind of like being cryptic enough to only let others who "know" know...

Hey Now! Dead bootleg question.

Nice to see a thread related to two of my favorite things! Here's a pic of the sticky on my side case.

It took me a couple years after Jerry passed to venture back to see the boys. I couldn't even listen to a Dead tape without tearing up hearing Jerry's voice. Eventually, a friend convinced me to check out the Other Ones and last year, I saw the Dead over New Year's. Definitely not the same as the GD but the Deadhead vibe was still very much alive (albeit much older and more than just a touch of gray).

I've been considering getting an iPod to listen to Dead tunes on road trips. What's the easiest way to convert my Dead bootleg tapes to digital? I have a few hundred hours of tapes and have put the conversion on the back burner because of the daunting task. I should probably do it anyway to preserve the tunes.

Keep me posted if a Dead show ride happens!

Attachments

• WALSTIB 006.jpg
    WALSTIB 006.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 270
Marty, that's a great question. I, too, would like to preserve my old tapes somehow. If you find out, please let me know, and I will do the same.

You do know about the "Dick's Picks" CDs available on dead.net, right?

Bob's new bike

CalNalu - Welcome to the thread. Your case rocks!

I traded in my 03 R for an 04 RT over the weekend. So far only have one aftermarket item:

Attachments

• RT - 3 small.JPG
    RT - 3 small.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 253
Calnalu said:
I've been considering getting an iPod to listen to Dead tunes on road trips. What's the easiest way to convert my Dead bootleg tapes to digital? I have a few hundred hours of tapes and have put the conversion on the back burner because of the daunting task. I should probably do it anyway to preserve the tunes.

One way that I have been converting my tapes and LP's to a useable format is by using a Griffin Technology PowerWave USB interface and pre-amp to dub the music to iTunes which allows me to put it on my iPod or to burn CD's. I just plug my tape deck or turntable(and amp) into the box and record it. Go to the internet and search for some freeware (Final Vinyl) to make it work. I think you can find it from the Griffin Technology webpage. I know it works with my Mac, but since they are putting Windows versions of iPods out, you might be able to do it on a PC. :thumb

Festival Express???

We have RAIN forecast in the desert this weekend! Might keep me in the house. Has anybody seen "Festival Express" and is it any good? I got the DVD for Christmas and may pop the cork on it. Thanks, Bob

Festival Express is great. Another view into the madness that surrounded the bands we love.. I'm a Rick Danko guy and there is some really great Band / Danko moments. You'll really enjoy

On another note it was -6 at my house this morning.. Must be nice to be in Arizona!

Yeah, Danko was cool. Saw him play at South station in Boston a few years ago. They set up a little stage right in the station and a small (~150?) crown gathered to hear him as travelers passed by. It was a good show.

Is there much of Jerry and the boys on Festival Express?

Tons of Jerry and the Boys. It's a must see flick. In the late 70's when Danko was at the top of his game, I put on 3 or 4 college shows with him and Manuel and him and Blondie Chaplin.. He was a most talented guy even though each time we put him on he just about has to be carried onto the stage . He was entirely destroyed, but as soon as he hit the stage he turned into this great musical force. In his later years he became fat and addicted. It was sad to see him go

Dude - That setlist really rocks! I liked DP 33 because I went to those shows when I was in college, but I am getting DP 34 just because of the outrageously good set list - thanks for the heads up.

PS - Anyone hear how Ratdog sounds on the current tour?

BobFV1 said:
Dude - That setlist really rocks! I liked DP 33 because I went to those shows when I was in college, but I am getting DP 34 just because of the outrageously good set list - thanks for the heads up.

PS - Anyone hear how Ratdog sounds on the current tour?

I'm pretty far out of the loop. Haven't heard a thing.

DP 15 was my favorite show I was ever at... :wow

I think any of the shows from 76/77/78 are worth getting.

My Bike Has A Name And It Is....

Lazy lightning
Sleepy fire in your eyes
Is it desire in disguise?
I keep on tryin' but I--
I can't get through

Lazy lightning
I'd like to find the proper potion
To kinda capture your emotion
You're right beside me but I--
I can't get through

You're a loop of lazy lightning,