• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Grateful Thread

I downloaded one of the recent Phil shows where he had John Scofield as one of his guitarists!!! Now to listen to it and see how one of may favorite guitarists meshed with Phil...

It's time to resurrect The Grateful Thread. I saw Phil and Friends last week at the Beacon theater. Great show and set list. In my opinion one of the tightest bands around. Joan Osborne was great as was Warren Haynes and Trey Anastasio a couple of nights ago.

Passenger
Doin' That Rag
Stagger Lee
Mr. Charlie
The Hardest Part
The Weight
Cosmic Charlie
Jam
Shakedown Street
New Speedway Boogie
Cats Down Under The Stars
Magnolia Mountain
Uncle John's Band
Morning Dew
Truckin
Golden Road

encore
I Am The Walrus

The Band:
Phil Lesh
Rob Barraco
Barry Sless
Jeff Sipe
Larry Campbell
Joan Osborne

snoone -

LONG LIVE THE GRATEFUL THREAD!!!

13198411-M.jpg

Boy I am jealous - that sounds like a GREAT Phil show! Will it be out on soundboard CD? - I would love to have a copy of it - I will check the Phil site. I really like Warren Haynes and that set list had some real treats - The Hardest Part, The Weight.

I can't imagine hearing Mr. Charlie without Pig Pen on vocals, but I guess I have to let go of it some time, he's only been gone 30 years.

THanks again for sharing - take care!

The wednesday night show was without Warren.. So far there is no soundboard but there is probably one of the best audience recordings I've heard up on etree. If you don't have access I would be happy to make a copy and send it to you

Chris wasn't with the band this time around.. Joan Osborne was the lead and she was great

snoone said:
Chris wasn't with the band this time around.. Joan Osborne was the lead and she was great

She sang lead for the whole time?? (Except for Phil, I mean)

That would be fantastic!! She's really terrific.

Just scored my tickets to see Bobby Ace and Ratdog at the Warner Theater in DC at the end of the month - can't wait!!!

Emoto said:
She sang lead for the whole time?? (Except for Phil, I mean)

That would be fantastic!! She's really terrific.

It was a little weird, Phil was in the background and Joan sang every song with a couple done by the keyboard guy. He didnt speak at all. Even Phil's mandatory organ donor speech was done by one of the guys in the band.. Maybe he wasnt feeling well?

BobFV1 said:
Just scored my tickets to see Bobby Ace and Ratdog at the Warner Theater in DC at the end of the month - can't wait!!!

That should be a great show. I'll think about being in DC at the end of the month from where I'll be in Key West,lounging with many adult beverages, barely being able to move from the pool. Possibly comatose

snoone said:
It was a little weird, Phil was in the background and Joan sang every song with a couple done by the keyboard guy. He didnt speak at all. Even Phil's mandatory organ donor speech was done by one of the guys in the band.. Maybe he wasnt feeling well?

Wow. That is bizarre. I hope he's ok.

I won't pay to see Bobby anymore, since his remarks concerning the archive.org fiasco.

I'm not especially happy with his remarks either. His arrogance underwhelmes me.

Karma From The Grateful Thread

I was going through some old drawers and came across a replacement face shield from an old Shoei Helmet I no longer have.. It has never been on a helmet and the #is C-10. I think it came from an RF-8 or 9.. Anyway its up for grabs.. Anyone interested please respond to this post. I'll have one of the lovely ladies in my office draw a winner on Fri the 10th of March. Good Luck

snoone said:
It's time to resurrect The Grateful Thread. I saw Phil and Friends last week at the Beacon theater. Great show and set list. In my opinion one of the tightest bands around. Joan Osborne was great as was Warren Haynes and Trey Anastasio a couple of nights ago.

Passenger
Doin' That Rag
Stagger Lee
Mr. Charlie
The Hardest Part
The Weight
Cosmic Charlie
Jam
Shakedown Street
New Speedway Boogie
Cats Down Under The Stars
Magnolia Mountain
Uncle John's Band
Morning Dew
Truckin
Golden Road

encore
I Am The Walrus

The Band:
Phil Lesh
Rob Barraco
Barry Sless
Jeff Sipe
Larry Campbell
Joan Osborne

This was Wednesday, the 15th, right? I'm downloading it now. Can't wait to hear almost a whole show of That Music with Joan singing! :wow

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=34187

Semi-off-topic, but I saw Jazz is Dead last night. The lineup was Jeff Sipe and Rod Morgenstein on drums, T. Lavitz on keyboards, Dave Livosi on bass, and Jeff Pevar on guitar. They did mostly stuff from Blues for Allah. Great show! :thumb

Hey , thats a great band.. I've seen Pevar in CPR (another great band).. Have they recorded anything?

Ah, Rod Morgenstein on drums, T. Lavitz on keyboards. I remember when they were with the Dixie Dregs (one of the greatest and least-known of the genre: "Southern Bands"). VERY good musicians!

Boy, Steve Morse and some of his friends would be a heck of a beer tent band @ Vermont! :clap

snoone said:
Hey , thats a great band.. I've seen Pevar in CPR (another great band).. Have they recorded anything?
I saw a couple of taping rigs at the show, so there might be some recordings of this lineup out there somewhere, but as far as I know, there aren't an studio recordings of this particular lineup.

Pevar was good, although not as adventurous as Jimmy Herring, but it was Morgenstein who stole the show. Don't mock him just because he was in Winger! :laugh

Rev - my very first concert ever was the the Dregs opening up for the Doobie Brothers. Of course, I hated the Dregs at the time. I was far too young to appreciate them. I don't really think of them as a "southern band" per se, at least not in the same catagory as The Outlaws or Lynyrd Skynyrd or something. They were more of an American version of Mahavishnu Orchestra.

I'd love to see them get back together, but Morse is busy with Deep Purple right now.

jmerlino said:
Rev - my very first concert ever was the the Dregs opening up for the Doobie Brothers. Of course, I hated the Dregs at the time. I was far too young to appreciate them. I don't really think of them as a "southern band" per se, at least not in the same catagory as The Outlaws or Lynyrd Skynyrd or something. They were more of an American version of Mahavishnu Orchestra.
Agreed, they were more like Mahavishnu than Skynyrd, but they could rock the house. I remember my first Dregs show: a Monday night gig at a rock bar in Chapel Hill,NC. A radio station promotional gig, the gate was $1.07 and only a few folks showed up, but nearly everybody there was a local musician. A bunch of local guitar gods got the chance to get on stage and jam with the band. About the 3rd or 4th encore, Twiggs Lyndon, the Dreg's road manager and one of the original Allman roadies, broke out one of Duane's old Gibson guitars and joined the guitar wars on stage. A very memorable night back in 1977, the band was promoting their newest (and best) album "What If?". I have been a loyal fan since and have had the pleasure of seeing them several times afterwards. :dance

Back