• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Grateful Thread

B

BobFV1

Okay everybody - this thread grew out of a thread called "Music" over in the main forum. It seems that there are more than a few Dead Heads (Grateful Dead afficianados) in our ranks. If you could do the "vulcan mind meld" on a Dead Head, you would get a bunch of set lists, favorite concerts, and other GD trivia and info. The same mind meld on an MOA member would probably result in K bike versus R bike, what's wrong with Harley riders, and which cool new piece of Wunderlich gear to rob the cookie jar for.

So post away on your favorite topics which put the Dead and the Beamer in the same thought. Here's mine: If The Dead play Red Rocks this summer like they did last summer, is anyone up for a BMW mini-rally/ride in to the concert? I think that would be a great way to combine two of our favorite pasttimes.

I always ride to the shows at this one outdoor venue in my area (Tweeter Center, aka Great Woods). They let the bikes pull up and park on the edge of the lane for limos and handicapped and it is a straight shot in and out of the place. No hassle of waiting to get from the back 40 after the show.

I do miss Jerry. "The Dead" has it's moments when Phil and Warren are "on" but the magic isn't really there anymore. I will still go because all the other bands out there are even less interesting...

I try to make a point of always riding to the shows either at PNC center, Jones Beach, Tweeter or Saratoga. Makes sense just for the parking.. I saw 4 or 5 shows last summer and had a great time. Same vibe as always. Unfortunately Jerry can't come anymore however Warren adds to the music in amazing ways as well. There are always those special moments during a show and I'm glad I can still go and see the music I've always loved.

Lets try and keep this thread alive and without a doubt get a copy of the Grateful Dead Movie and view it in surround.

I didn't ride to the show this past June in Phoenix, because 1) I drink like a fish at these things (they had Sierra Nevada on tap!) and my wife can't be the designated driver on the bike and 2) I worry about three or four stinky outlaw motorcycle gang members throwing my beakster in to the back of a pickup and driving away. I really like the new stuff the Dead have done this past summer. Warren's singing is great and there were so many great new covers - Like a Rolling Stone, Eight Miles High, Madman Across The Water. The boys have changed with the times and keep on rocking.

Geoff Miller said:
I'm sorry. No Jerry Garcia, no Greatful Dead.........

Jeff - some of us can't let go - and the new stuff is really pretty darn good - even though it takes two or three guys to try to compensate, musically, for Jerry

the 2 or 3 guys comment cracked me up but couldnt be more true.

Old Dead Concert- Hartford CT 1971

There we were at the hartford Speedway on a hot day and a half tab. The Dead played their typical hours and hours before the break and while they were off doing whatever they do during break, more equipment was being setup on stage.

Lots more equipment...

Two more sets of drums, another organ, guitars, everything. What was happening we wondered?????

Remember this was a magical time with experimental music, experimental social "things", everything goes.

Well everthing did go, really.

After the break, Bob Weir introduced their new friends the ALLMAN Bros. and they jammed until the early evening. Magical Mystery Guests!!!

New Dead

Blasphemy???

My brother the consumate Dead Head saw the "new Dead" and said that they sounded better- tighter.

What say???

Well with the addition of Warren Haynes they certainly destroy The Other Ones.. I especially did not enjoy the Joan Osborne Sugaree debacle.

???

I remember it as Hartford Speedway, but jeez, it could have been anything that afternoon.

Saw the Dead and MANY others when I was in college in Boston I worked as an usher at the Music Hall...

Paul Sibek said:
I remember it as Hartford Speedway, but jeez, it could have been anything that afternoon.

Saw the Dead and MANY others when I was in college in Boston I worked as an usher at the Music Hall...

I saw them there once in... I want to say 76 or 77, in November, I believe. First set had a Lazy Lightning, IIRC. We were trying to tape it, but the f'ing usher kept coming around and hassling me. Finally he came back with a cop and said if I didn't stop he would throw me out. too bad because it was a really good show...

:dance :D

snoone said:
Well with the addition of Warren Haynes they certainly destroy The Other Ones.. I especially did not enjoy the Joan Osborne Sugaree debacle.

Warren definitely made the Summer 04 iteration of The Dead the best since Jerry shuffled off the mortal coil. It's pretty cool to pick up some Allman Bros. guitar riffs from Warren in some of his songs, like "The Real Thing" - the soundboard CD's from the Summer shows are really very very good. It's amazing how the giant analog consoles from the old days are replaced by a laptop and a server.

Anyway - there were some great new covers in the summer shows this year - Elton John's "Madman Across The Water" - Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" - Traffic's "Low Spark..." I think you can download many of them for free on The GD site.

_ Hey, does anyone have some good photos of Dead customization of Bikes or helmets? I have the SYF skull in the middle of a roundel, replacing the blue and white part, on my 1150R rear fender - it rocks. I am traveling now but when I get home I'll take a snap and post it.

I only have some stickers on my bags, but I certainly have interest in custom tank/helmet/bag with the good ol Grateful Dead Theme. Anyone out there have any pics?

I am anxiously awaiting this years summer schedule and lineup. I have an advertising co and through fate I recently found out that the musical interests of a couple of my clients are 100% Dead oriented. Who would have thunk it to look at these guys. So last summer we had our first customer Dead event at Jones Beach where we invited 4 or our customers. This year we'll organize it a little better and hopefully get some more to come.

Any you guys are invited as well!!

snoone said:
I only have some stickers on my bags, but I certainly have interest in custom tank/helmet/bag with the good ol Grateful Dead Theme. Anyone out there have any pics?

I don't have any pics handy, but every single helmet I have owned, since I started riding in 1977 has had a small round SYF like this (see below) centered on the front of the helmet just above the face shield.

DEAS010.jpg

The last few helmets have had stickers, but the first helmet had it painted on by an artist friend. I love having it on there, but the 1.5" size is good. Too big and you start to draw the attention of the constabulary...

A long strange trip...

... to Alaska. Taken back in 1998 and posted to the net along the way.

Here is the report. (Read the "Ian" part...)

The guy who was posting it for me sorta petered out along the way. There was a version of it on the BMW MOA CampSite for a while, but it got taken down. :(

98AlaskaSojournalaskalogo.gif

On the back of my fender was this sticker:

DEAM302.jpg

Ian

Back