• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hacking it at the Rally?

The MOA National, I assume? I plan to be there on this rig (and I've now added BMW saddlebags!)...

886827641_4sHV7-M.jpg

Are you taking 97 all the way?

I'm not sure, yet. I'd like to take off earlier in the week and head for central Oregon (Granite, John Day...) and slowly wiggle my way toward Redmond. The problem is work, I'm overloaded right now w/ critical deadlines so taking the week off is very unlikely. If I leave Thursday for the rally then yes, 97 most of the way.

How about you? Where are you coming from and what is your route of choice?

I took the week... But I'm still debating the rally.
I'm selling a home and should really get proactive.

Although... This would be my first and would like to meet a few of y'all.
I was gonna join the MOA and do Rhinebeck when I lived in NY... Then after moving back here do Spokane. I should do Redmond.

I'd most likely meander down this way... Easy... Little hassle.

I'd be camping so I'd like to get there early to see what is 'available'.
I'd be leaving Sunday at dawn.

97 will be a good route from Gold Bar. If you want a nice side route off Oregon 97, head SW on 216 (216 leaves 97 just on the south edge of Grass Valley). It's a great route dropping you down to the Deschutes River. Once @ the river, stay on the East side of the river (don't cross Sherar's Bridge) and the road follows the river's edge into Maupin. From there you can take 197, which connects back into 97 south of Maupin. This won't add much for miles but it will add time. It is however WELL worth it!

For more adventure, take Bake Oven Road out of Maupin and head for Shaniko. Take 218 straight south out of Shaniko toward Antelope. It looks like this:

573203271_dnRmm-M.jpg

At Antelope, take 293 west, back to 97. These two side excursions could add 2 hours to your trip if you stop and enjoy the river for a few minutes, fyi.

Note that there will be two sidecar-related events at the International rally in Redmond.

There will be a "Let's Talk About Sidecars" gathering in the Sheep Barn at 4:30p on Thursday. Bring your rig.

And, there will be a seminar, "Introduction to Sidecars and Trikes" at 9:15a Saturday in High Desert Activity Ctr.

pmdave

Well, obviously Dave will be there, and there will be coffee.

and pastries

and bananas

and special guests

and door prizes

and an opportunity to ask questions about riding skills--or whatever* is on your mind.

*with one or two exceptions

pmdave

Back