• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cut Bank,Mt. to Anchorage,AK

aa3jy

Currently(7/02/10) in Cut Bank,MT for the night..looking at several routes.. Suggestions?? Hopefully return in time for the Rally.

FYI..took Rt 2 from Duluth,Minn..outstanding road!! Tnx to the guys @ Aerostich for the route tip.

Regards,

Clay
R1200GSA

(from on the road)

When I was up that way returning from the '04 rally in Spokane, I had gone up to Banff-Jasper-Icefields Parkway-Lake Louise and then began working my way home. I enjoyed the ride from just west of Calgary, taking Highway 40 south off of the big Highway 1. That took me to Longview where I turned south and ended up in Pincher Creek for the evening. I was basically working my way south along Hwy 6 in Canada and ended up in Babb and St. Mary, MT. I wanted to get into Glacier NP and I turned west from there.

I'd say head west on US 2 and turn towards St. Mary or stay south and go around Glacier and cut back across the park to St. Mary...if you can...not sure about the roads currently. There's been a recent thread with updates on the Going to the Sun Highway.

Having just ridden the Alcan to Anchorage this past week, you should be prepared for some tough roads from North of Haines Jct. at Destruction Bay to the border. Then there's about 15 miles of "Pilot Car-led" construction on the Alaska side of the border which is extremewly slipper because of the rain. Very little gravel, mostly dirt(mud). Having said all that, I see you ride a GS so it may be less of a hazard to you, but be careful of the extreme frost heaves in those last 100 miles of the Yukon Alcan. You will have to slow down considerably. If you get a chance, visit the Kenai Peninsula. It's beautiful. Then again, so is much of Alaska.

Clay:

+1 on the Glacier tip above. Then you could go north into Alberta and get on the 22 to 541 and over to 40.

Another option after Glacier is to head west to #6 in BC, and north into the Kootenays.

Be aware that there is road construction on the Trans Canada Highway, between the junction with #93 and Lake Louise, and around Golden, B.C.

Here is the Going to the Sun thread:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=45554

Have a good trip

P.S. Don't cross the border at Coutts/Sweetgrass. Cross at Carway or Chief Mountain, if you're going into Alberta now.

Last edited:
Back