• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1600GT and GTL Official Announcement

The angel eyes look great - just like on the cars.

As for adaptive lighting - I have it on the car and it works great - very impressive to put that technology on a bike.

Looks like a winner - we'll see how it comes out of the box

Last edited:
When are they going to be available in the US? What's the expected price range? So far I've been pretty loyal to the boxer engines, but this six looks great and the whole package looks a lot less Goldwing-ish than I expected.

K1600GT and GTL

Wow!

I'm sure they have done their marketing research on pricing, but this creates some dilemmas for potential RT and LT purchasers.

Just a guess, but I would think that these new 1600GT bikes will probably be $25,000 to $30,000, depending on options.

So, what do I do, in 2011, if I am considering purchasing the water cooled RT? Do I spend $22,000 for a fully equipped RT or do I go for the 1600GT?

If I am considering the LT, but don't like the heavy weight, do I opt for the lighter weight 1600GTL instead?

Maybe BMW will discontinue the LT.

Not to mention, what will potential Gold Wing purchasers do? The 1600GTL can be equipped with the "Barco Lounger" armrest that their pillion passengers prefer.

If they have a low suspension/low seat option for short guys, I might consider the 1600GT as a second bike.

Funny.... for years a liter was more than enough "motorycycle" for most of the world. My wife and I put thousands of two-up miles on our R75 and didn't need more. The original six-cylinder Honda CBX900 was big, and the Kawasaki KZ1300 was considered huge.

Of course we didn't strap the LazyBoy on the on the pillion or pull a Great Dane behind it either.

At what point do we just get back in the car.. . . ?

Wow!

I'm sure they have done their marketing research on pricing, but this creates some dilemmas for potential RT and LT purchasers.

Maybe BMW will discontinue the LT.

The LT is not even on BMW Canada's website for 2010, nor have I seen any at the dealer's here. I suspect it's already been discontinued, though it is on the BMW U.S. website (maybe left-over bikes?).

+1

i have ZERO interest in this bike... :dunno

Funny.... for years a liter was more than enough "motorycycle" for most of the world. My wife and I put thousands of two-up miles on our R75 and didn't need more. The original six-cylinder Honda CBX900 was big, and the Kawasaki KZ1300 was considered huge.

Of course we didn't strap the LazyBoy on the on the pillion or pull a Great Dane behind it either.

At what point do we just get back in the car.. . . ?

i have ZERO interest in this bike... :dunno

Same feelings here. Motorcycles are no longer the economical transportation of years gone by. They have become too big, too expensive to buy, and too expensive to maintain. For what this two-wheeled Winnebago will cost, you can have a nice, comfortable car with a heater, air conditioner, and not get wet when it rains.

No doubt it fits someone's riding style but I have no use for something like this, whether made by BMW or anyone else.

I can't wait until April 2011 to get the full picture. It'll be interesting to test ride and read the reviews to learn how BMW deals with the additional weight, heat, transmission, final drive and cost issues. Depending on the approach it could be a big step forward or a big one back.

They'll have to keep the base price near the Goldwing's base of $22,899.00 to seriously compete.

The times are definitely changing. I can remember when I thought a 650cc Bonnie was more than enough.

Easy :german

I can't wait until April 2011 to get the full picture. It'll be interesting to test ride and read the reviews to learn how BMW deals with the additional weight, heat, transmission, final drive and cost issues. Depending on the approach it could be a big step forward or a big one back.

They'll have to keep the base price near the Goldwing's base of $22,899.00 to seriously compete.

The times are definitely changing. I can remember when I thought a 650cc Bonnie was more than enough.

Easy :german

Yep, I walked into the Triumph/Suzuki dealership in 1970 to buy a Triumph after burning up a little Yamaha 250 on my commute, and walked out with a $900 Suzuki 500 cc two stroke twin. My wife and I rode the thing all over the Southwest one summer, camping out, without a single sidecase or topcase or any farkles at all, actually. Wouldn't trade the experience for anything. But that was 40 years ago. Still have a motorcycle, still have the wife, still tour on it with her, but would never consider doing it on something like that Suzuki. My RT is worlds better for comfort, fun, luggage, EVERYTHING, than that great Suzuki was. I personally can't wait to see this new uber-tourer; I may not ever buy one, I may buy one in a few years, I may buy one the instant I see one...I dunno. But what's the point in complaining about this thing? I don't get that at all. You guys who hate the thing sight unseen still driving 1954 Plymouths? Why do you care what others might want?:dunno

Ohhhh, for the gently used bike market on this one to start.

With a good pipe, the I-6 is the most heavenly sound on a bike.

Me want.

Rod

Yep, I walked into the Triumph/Suzuki dealership in 1970 to buy a Triumph after burning up a little Yamaha 250 on my commute, and walked out with a $900 Suzuki 500 cc two stroke twin. My wife and I rode the thing all over the Southwest one summer, camping out, without a single sidecase or topcase or any farkles at all, actually. Wouldn't trade the experience for anything. But that was 40 years ago. Still have a motorcycle, still have the wife, still tour on it with her, but would never consider doing it on something like that Suzuki. My RT is worlds better for comfort, fun, luggage, EVERYTHING, than that great Suzuki was. I personally can't wait to see this new uber-tourer; I may not ever buy one, I may buy one in a few years, I may buy one the instant I see one...I dunno. But what's the point in complaining about this thing? I don't get that at all. You guys who hate the thing sight unseen still driving 1954 Plymouths? Why do you care what others might want?:dunno

I ride not only for the joy of riding, but it also, at one time, provided an economic benefit: better fuel mileage than a car, fairly easy maintenance. The economic benefit is gone, or soon will be. The cost per mile for a bike is now equal or greater than a car. That may not matter to some who have the income for such things but others need to maintain a budget.

Of course, everything costs more, not only motorcycles. There is a price to pay for creature comforts, safety features, etc., whether it is a motorcycle, pickup truck, or any other item. But it is getting harder to find the kind of bike I want when everything is getting so big, so laden with gadgets, and so expensive. Or, it is a sport bike made for someone much younger who can withstand the riding position.

At my age, and with a history of orthopedic problems, long distances are better covered in something with four wheels. I have nothing against anyone who wants one of these gigantic touring bikes. It is your money, spend it as you like. I have a different criteria for what I need and want from a motorcycle and unfortunately my needs put me in a shrinking market. It is not worth it for a manufacturer to build what I want. Maybe I will have to settle for a scooter.

For the people who immediately say they don't want/like the bike - I suspect BMW feels you will like the RT, so they're not making this bike to conquer existing BMW riders. BMW's goal has been two-fold: Conquest sales (move bikers from other brands to BMW); Younger bikers (try to move the median age of a BMW buyer somewhere below 50 years old so the buyers are candidates for more then 1 more bike.)

BMW did study their demographics. They made no secret of it (it was discussed at the RA Rally last summer with the head dude of Motorrad.) At the rate the BMW owner population was aging (about 1 year per year) - before long most of the current BMW riders would be too old to buy a new bike. The F650/F800's and S1000RR were the first shots out of the cannon of bikes that appeal to other brand riders, and younger riders. I see the K1600 series as the next round. It's a conquest bike targeted directly at the Goldwing. If they did their homework (and I can't imagine they haven't) - it will do everything better then a Goldwing at a base price near the price of a Goldwing. And it will sell.

Better get used to it - BMW is looking for increasing their market share, not pleasing us old pharts (although the R1200 series bikes do a lot to take care of our segment of the market..) and I see satin jackets and kiwi's on a stick coming to a dealership near you. Be interesting to see the Motorrad take on the satin jacket.. :dance

I wish them a lot of luck with this bike - I'd like to see BMW motorcycles around for a while longer.

I had just received this before checking in here

http://www.tourer-2010-en.com/index/BMW-K-1600-GTL

Oh, and I haven't been here that long,but have been reminded more than once BMW killed their heritage in 1985...how dare they keep on changing things:nyah

I still have a few Boxers...and will for some time...but I now also have a few wedge K bikes and can't wait to see this finished product.

It's nice to see Hughs Goldwing get a little upgraded competition. It's not going to be for everyone...so what?

Back