• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2010 1200RT Crash Bars

Old Rider - OK Mechanic
My new 1200RT arrived today. Very nice. I need some advice from 2010 1200RT owners. What is the best engine protection (crash bars) I can get. I know I will eventually have a low speed tip over .. what works for you ?

I got the BMW bars. I did have to remove the tupperware to install them. I think they look nice and should work fine if I drop the bike.

If you guys that have something already installed could post pictures it would help us a lot. I too am looking for something. At least something for a parking lot easy lay down (BTDT).

tsp
2010 R1200RT

I installed the Wunderlich crash bar on My 2010 RT . Part # 8160735. Silver in color they matched the bike nicely and I have no clerance issues. Took a trip to Deals Gap and verified this. Price $329.00. They are very sturdy looking and will save the valve covers/cylinder in the event of a wreck or tip over. Check them out on thier web site.

If you could take some detailed pictures that would help

This is what I have. I guess they are not really crash "bars", but same idea. I personally did not like the large "GS" looking bars and thought this looked a little cleaner on the RT.

crash1.jpg

crash2.jpg

crash3.jpg

Wunder

I really like the look of the wunder bars and am considering them for my 2010 RT also. I like the fact that they protect the head from any impact and don't cost much more that the head guards shown above.

I would like to see if a set of highway pegs could be fit to the bar without marking it up. that would make the additional cost a non issue.

Last I checked, some of the "cam cover protectors" were over $200 while the entire crash bar (protects the lower sump too) was only a little over 320. I'm not sure if they would save your mirrors...... Anybody crashed their RT with the Wunder bars installed? Did is save the front of the bike?

You can check out the Wunder "engine protection bar" here: http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/R1200RT/8160735-736.html

Wunderlich +1

I have an '07 RT with the Wunderlich bars installed. I was recently hit by a small SUV at (thankfully) low speed. He hit my right fork/fairing/header. The impact sent the bike over onto the left side. So...this was more than a 'drop' but not a full-blown crash.

The bars were dinged up and had a minor dent or two. The exhaust header on the right side had a big dent. The left saddlebag was scratched through to the plastic, but not cracked or broken. The left front footpeg sheared off, but that extends well past the bars. Nothing else on the left side was badly damaged. The engine casings didn't even have a scratch.

Obviously this wasn't a major impact or crash, but for a moderate low speed collision, the bars did a solid job. I'm sure the damage would have been much worse - and more of it would have been structural, not just cosmetic.

crash1.jpg

crash2.jpg

Hepco-Becker

+1 for the wunderlich bars, which are made by Hepco-Becker. I just road tested mine in Virginia and they worked as advertised. Road rash on the saddle bag and Parabellum fairing and windshield. All this happened at about 35 mph on a 15 mph turn on a 2008 R1200R.

Additional praise for Aerostich Roadcrafter two-piece suit which came through with minor abrasions, not even worth sending back to Aerostich. Lee Parks DeerSport gloves will be returned for resewing but they performed as advertised as well.

Greg
K12S & R12R

I bought Touratech bars for my 08RT shortly after I bought the bike. They look nice, and are very sturdy, with a pretty good price tag. I do my own maintenance, and realized after I installed them that they would have to be removed everytime I adjust the valves. I dealt with it at first, but it got old. So I pulled them last service and installed Machine Art covers today. They are a few dollars more but a bit stronger than the BMW brand of the same protection.

You may also want to consider the BMW protective guards for the lower part of the lids. I dropped mine, bars worked great, but the drop scuffed the bottom of the lid. Cost of painting or replacing a lid is going to be just as much or more than a valve cover.

Also, consider that if extra hardware needs to be removed at your dealer for service, it may cost you a few more bucks depending on how involved it is.

I bought Touratech bars for my 08RT shortly after I bought the bike. They look nice, and are very sturdy, with a pretty good price tag. I do my own maintenance, and realized after I installed them that they would have to be removed everytime I adjust the valves.

Those bars look real sturdy but definetly cover the valve covers, creating some problems. The Wunder's don't seem (nor have I heard) to get in the way so that is another plus.

+1 on the pannier covers. :rocker Not sure how much they cost, but it has to be worth it. I dropped my VFR and it messed up the panniers quite badly. I would cry if I did that to my new baby!! :sick

Last edited by a moderator:
SW Motech Bars

I don't have an RT but on my 2007 R1200ST I have SW Motech bars and they have completely protected my bike through two low speed drops. I think they make them for the RT as well.

Attachments

• JSA_ST1.jpg
    JSA_ST1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 287
Crash Bars

Heads Up! If anyone is looking for crash bars there is a set of new Wunderwich brand on E-bay up for bid, this may be a good time to get a deal on them. I have a set on my 2010 RT and really like them.

I am looking too. I have elf pegs, so it appears to be a choice between ZTechnik and Wunderlich. The TTs apparently won't allow the elf pegs to extend. Anyone have any experience with the ZTechniks? Anyone know of any other options?

Those look great! Except, uh, I have Elf Pegs. So... :)
The other thing that concerns me is the fact that they don't appear to mount on the frame. Maybe that cylinder is tougher than it looks but....

The Wunderlich bars don't mount to the frame either—they mount to the engine casing itself. There is a documented report on this forum of the Wunderlich bars tearing open the bottom of the engine case in a crash. That said—I have Wunderlich bars and like them.

The Wunderlich bars don't mount to the frame eitherÔÇöthey mount to the engine casing itself. There is a documented report on this forum of the Wunderlich bars tearing open the bottom of the engine case in a crash. That saidÔÇöI have Wunderlich bars and like them.

I read these posts with concern for the prospective buyers. I'm one of those 'reporters' who had a punctured case after the bar transferred the energy downward. Fortunately it was not a higher speed knock, a welding wizard was able to TIG the hole shut, otherwise it meant buying new cases. I don't fault Wunderlich, just chalked it up to unintended consequence of trying to protect a bag & valve cover from scrathes. :banghead
P.S. the bars are laying in a corner of the garage, never to go back on, reparing or fixing a vavle cover is much cheaper than the alternative imho

Those look great! Except, uh, I have Elf Pegs. So... :)
The other thing that concerns me is the fact that they don't appear to mount on the frame. Maybe that cylinder is tougher than it looks but....

It looks pretty tough to me. The guards came with some hard rubber that forms between the guards and valve cover. I think the guards will work fine if the bike was dropped at a stop or very slow speed. Anything more than that and I think protecting the valve covers would be the least of my problems.

Back