• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Whats your R100 getting for mileage?

RAColeman

AKBob
Threw a extra quart in the saddlebag. Filled the bike FULL.

Went on reserve one side at 175 Mi.

Went onto the other side at 198 Mi.

Flamed out at 205 Mi.

Threw in the quart and filled up, the tank and fuel bottle.

Figureing the extra quart in the tank size came to 6.38 Gal. us and the bike got 32 mpg.

New needle Jet and Needle? Any ideas?

R100RT? Sounds about right. No matter how I drive or what I do I get about 34 mpg on my 1982 R100RT. I got slightly better than that on my 1988 RT. R100RTs seem to get the worst mpg, as far as I can figure. My 1982 R100RS gets about 10 better at 42-44 mpg. My 1980 R100T with an extremely worn out top end (about 90 psi compression) gets almost that much. When I had that hot rod dual-plugged 1976 R75/6, that did about 55 mpg.
I use premium no- alcohol fuel almost always

1982 r100rt/fairing removed/Natl Cycle Plexifairing 2 windshield added: 38-41mpg consistently. Always ride in the 4000-6500 rpm range and no interstates. Lot's of mountain riding. Never less than 38mpg.

Last edited:
I get around 40 MPG on my 1993 R100GSPD. Rode with a lady on a 95 R100RT who said she's getting 38 MPG.

R100 with 9.5:1 pistons and Big Valve heads, single plugged, 33/11 rear end, no fairing, mid-grade or hi-test = 48 MPG in mixed riding.

when I pay attention to the mileage I average around 40+, loaded or not. I have noticed better mileage on fuel from Shell which at times hits 50.

Regardless I usually start looking for fuel after 150 miles on a tank.

1984 R100RT. ~42 MPG, very consistently - highways, back roads, wringing its neck or just cruising. Seems odd but at most a 1-2 MPG variation from fillup to fillup.

I do keep it in a good state of tune, also very consistently!

R100/7 with RT fairing and Krauser bags...mostly commuting between Fillmore and Goleta, 130 miles round trip...and weekend trips here and there two up...40 to 45 MPG...calculated and confirmed, no guesswork...

'83 R100RT still with the original fairing and windscreen. Switch to reserve around 200, but never ran it dry yet. I get about 42 on 87 octane occasionally a bit more but rarely less. If I fill it with higher octane fuel, the mileage drops to about 38.

Richard

'83 R100RT, dual plugged, light throttle springs, Seafoam every 4th or 5th tank, yanked the emissions stuff, top end job about 2000 miles ago, the rest stock pretty much easy on the throttle I usually get about 40-44. Have gotten better and as bad as 33 when the carbs were out of sync and needed rebuilding.

Better mileage with a K&N air filter but I have a stock one right now. I have a pair of the Lufty saddle tanks for a total of 8.1ish or so, but haven't plumbed them yet.

77 R100S
Get 40+ MPG in mixed riding. Stock "S" fairing, Krauser Bags, along with stock everything else, except the "Schwinn" handgrips. I believe "Schwinn" is German?

My '84 R100 routinely got 33 mpg during my usual back roads riding - during which I rarely got above 3rd gear. It would get 50 mpg in highway use.

1983 R100RS, 69K miles. New AM26 tires, proper inch sizes, stock rear. Recent carb rebuild. Top end n rings done winter 2009. Two recent trips fully loaded with camping gear were 1300 miles and 800 miles. First was the BRP + NC backroads and the second was NYS backroads with 100 miles of slab. MPG calculated over the total distance was 51+.

I only calculate the mpg over several tanks due to variations from tank to tank in how I fill it - where in the neck, side stand or center stand, etc. Nice range.

The '75 R75/6 does almost as well but that engine and those carbs really need work this coming winter. Should do better next summer.

'77 R100RS, 40 mm pipes and carbs, gets about 34-35 MPG commuting, freeway speeds. I use 92 octane with ethanol. When I'm able to fill up with non-ethanol, 93 octane fuel, I can push over 40 mpg. Ethanol is not good for mileage.

The bike is in great tune right now, runs like a clock, I'm not changing anything.

My 77 R100S with the lightened flywheel, etc. etc. gets a little better than the RS, but not too much.

210 miles before reserve at 5.2 gallon used, 78 R100T vetter, hard bags, mostly twistys, running mostly 4th gear at between 3.6K to 5.5K average at 4.5K rpms when running the back roads at 60-65 MPH.. so around 40-42 with new engine. before with 150K on old engine 32-34. always use high test 92 or 93. the few times I put non-ethenol in it about the same for a tank full but since there is always a little in when I fill up didn't expect to see much differance esp. for a single tank full.

RM

1980 RT stock fairing, no lowers, bags, dual plugged 38-48, usually about 43 mixed-use

1982 RT stock fairing, no lowers, bags 37-40 usually about 39 mixed-use

I run 87 octane gas/ethanol swill in both. Live at 5200'. Work commute, shop, wander, whatever. High winds plus high speed here can really plummet mileage.

I am getting between 36 to 40mpg(mixed use) on my '91 R100GS - Euro version. Recent new rings and guides 2500mi ago... hoping the mileage gets better with full work in.

Weird that I can 55+ in my VW TDI and have room for 4.

What have you done specially to improve your mileage?

Back